01 Catera getting P0300 code - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 01 Catera getting P0300 code in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; okay, thanks...the check engine light has not come back for couple days now....
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 01 Catera getting P0300 code

okay, thanks...the check engine light has not come back for couple days now.

Just an update! After few months without any problem (didn't replace anything), the check engine light came on two weeks ago , scanned it and it showed cylinder 6 misfire (don't remember the code). Turned the check engine light off and drove it for another week without any problems, then the check engine light came on again yesterday after driving it for few minutes. This time the check engine light flashed for few seconds and the car slowed down, would not accelerate enough, could only drive it like 20 miles an hour and brought it back home. Could it be that the ignition coil pack is bad?

Thanks.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    Could it be that the ignition coil pack is bad?
    Yes - i think so
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

okay, thanks...will check it out and let you know.

I was just looking online for the ignition coil and I see some brands selling two kinds (same side), one with a white connector end and one with a black connector end. Does anyone what the difference are for these coils? I know that the prices are different!!!

Thanks

Another update, had a misfire again....this time it was cylinder 4. Replaced the coil and plugs, so far everything is running smooth.

Thanks.

waco-brian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 98 & 99

sweet

Thanks, I also got a great deal on the coil. I ordered it online from Advance auto parts and used coupon code, then picked it up from the store. The one I got was the BWD brand, and it is made by Bosch. It looks exactly like the orginal one in the car.

The car is having the random misfire issue again.

I replaced the passenger side coil with new plugs a month ago because it was running rough with the random misfire (same code P0300) and it ran well until yesterday it started to do the same thing. I scanned this evening and it showed the same code P0300. Also, one of the O2 sensor has been bad for a while and has the code for that. Could that be the problem for the misfire or could it be something else?

Thanks.

98Geldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 eldorado, 2000 Catera
    O2 can make the car run rich if its bad. What I did for the random misfire code was a fuel system flush and ironically it worked.

Could the O2 cause the misfire? The faulty O2 was bank 2 and the coil I changed last month was on the passenger side.

98Geldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 eldorado, 2000 Catera
    No it would not cause a mis it self but if its faulty it could cause the ECM to either run lean (not enough fuel) or rich ( to much fuel) which would cause a mis. I would just change bank 2 coil and o2 sensor and add seafoam and go from there

okay, thanks. The codes are P0300, P0161 and P0160. I search online and several folks had this same problem and ended up changing the ECM too. I think I can get an exchange on the coil since it was replaced last month and still under warranty.

Previously for the O2 we were only getting P0160 now getting the P0161.

Hope the ECM has not gone bad.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

less common for an ECM to go bad than a coil
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Okay, thanks. I have ordered a new O2 sensor and will replace the coil and check the plugs too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.