01 Cadillac Catera Sport help!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 01 Cadillac Catera Sport help!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2001 cadillac catera sport (3.0, V6) with 68k miles on it. When I start the car it ...
    01caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

01 Cadillac Catera Sport help!!

I have a 2001 cadillac catera sport (3.0, V6) with 68k miles on it. When I start the car it bogs down and will shut off unless I keep giving gas. Once warmed up for about 10 min idle runs fine. Then when I place it in reverse or drive it somewhat bogs down again. On the road RPM's spike to about 3-4k and won't shift to the next gear, sometimes I can't get the car above 20MPH. Almost like it's not getting enough air or power. Hills especially make it worse. I had misfire but seemed to almost stop when I replaced both coil packs and spark plugs. Also on random occasions I get the "S" sport button indicator on the dash to flash. Other times when the car is warm will run smooth after about 2 or 3 gear. My air condition also is hot on one side and cold on the other I don't know if this is related or totally seperate. I have seen this problem on many others catera's through searching the web but can't seem to find a clear cut answer. Please help with any information you can!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: 01 Cadillac Catera Sport help!!

Quote Originally Posted by 01caddy View Post
    I have a 2001 cadillac catera sport (3.0, V6) with 68k miles on it. When I start the car it bogs down and will shut off unless I keep giving gas. Once warmed up for about 10 min idle runs fine. Then when I place it in reverse or drive it somewhat bogs down again. On the road RPM's spike to about 3-4k and won't shift to the next gear, sometimes I can't get the car above 20MPH. Almost like it's not getting enough air or power. Hills especially make it worse. I had misfire but seemed to almost stop when I replaced both coil packs and spark plugs. Also on random occasions I get the "S" sport button indicator on the dash to flash. Other times when the car is warm will run smooth after about 2 or 3 gear. My air condition also is hot on one side and cold on the other I don't know if this is related or totally seperate. I have seen this problem on many others catera's through searching the web but can't seem to find a clear cut answer. Please help with any information you can!
    Check for vacuum routing and vacuum leaks. The vacuum routing and connection diagram is usually affixed at the front under the hood. There are also other ways to check for leaks like sprays etc., and noting wether the engine speed changes as you spray around vacuum tees and pipes.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post
    Check for vacuum routing and vacuum leaks. The vacuum routing and connection diagram is usually affixed at the front under the hood. There are also other ways to check for leaks like sprays etc., and noting wether the engine speed changes as you spray around vacuum tees and pipes.

Good luck.
    I don't think I have a vacuum leak because the problem leans out then comes back. If it were a vacuum leak wouldn't it be persistent?

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

I have not personally had any of these issues, however I have noticed several posts about the mass air flow sensors on these cars. did u disconnect it and see if anything changes? its located in front of the motor to the passenger side if I recall correctly.

My car went into limp mode a couple times. the sport light would flash.. and abs I think also.. cant recall.. but I had a bad connection to the trottle body and there was moisture inside. replaced throttle body and was fine, but required a $90 dealer reprogram! It does not sound like its your throttle body though.. just stating my experiance.

BTW mass air flow sensor is the same as a 2003 saturn l300 can be found for like $80 at autozone. the "catera" one they will charge way more for and yet its the same part!. good luck. you are not near rochester ny?? I found a mech that is somewhat knowledgeable on cateras.

Quote Originally Posted by hgqguy View Post
    I have not personally had any of these issues, however I have noticed several posts about the mass air flow sensors on these cars. did u disconnect it and see if anything changes? its located in front of the motor to the passenger side if I recall correctly.

My car went into limp mode a couple times. the sport light would flash.. and abs I think also.. cant recall.. but I had a bad connection to the trottle body and there was moisture inside. replaced throttle body and was fine, but required a $90 dealer reprogram! It does not sound like its your throttle body though.. just stating my experiance.

BTW mass air flow sensor is the same as a 2003 saturn l300 can be found for like $80 at autozone. the "catera" one they will charge way more for and yet its the same part!. good luck. you are not near rochester ny?? I found a mech that is somewhat knowledgeable on cateras.
    I replaced the MAF sensor once before which I'm gonna prob do again. I checked the connections though unplugged and then plugged back in seems to be fine but still have same problems. I will look into the throttle body though. I just hate dumping money into something that isn't going to work. I love this car but don't know if it's really worth my time.

My catera has 129K on it, and each repair runs about $600. I think its worth it if u like the car. I figure any car is gonna cost about $3000 a year to own, be it a lease, depreciated value of ownership, or repairs. If you think about it that way maybe its worth the fix. I have investerd around $3500 in 13months but about 1K was expected when i bought it... so I think that resonable... 2500 a year. the car is a joy to drive, and catches everyones eye.. The bose system is the best ive every had.. Im just saying I would repair it if it were mine. sometimes its worth it just to swallow it and take it to a dealer or a mech that knows his way around a catera. I have recently found a mech that is very resonable and honest and knows a catera somewhat... so Im hoping I can take the car to him from now on.
    did you think, bcm or ebcm I know the prior owner repaired the bcm on mine. sometimes they get moisture. its just hard to say cause these cars are very intermixed.. such as the k134 relay sunrof, radio, foglights. trunk and gas door release.. all on one relay..

UPDATE!!!!!: I found the problem, turns out it was the MAF sensor. There is a simple test to check this just unplug the MAF start the car and if all problems are gone your car is fixed. You can take it for a short test run but don't drive until you replace the old one with a new one. Back to loving my caddy!

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

UPDATE!!!!!: I found the problem, turns out it was the MAF sensor. There is a simple test to check this just unplug the MAF start the car and if all problems are gone your car is fixed. You can take it for a short test run but don't drive until you replace the old one with a new one. Back to loving my caddy!
    I am not sure if you replaced it with new but I cleaned my MAF thoroughly with electronic non residue cleaner as well as rubbing alcohol and q-tips. I was not having problems but I used a K&N filter and reading the posts in the UK was warned out about oil damaging the MAF so cleaned it as a precaution and went back to standard air filter.

Great to hear that things are fixed. Cheers.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

That is an unknown option! Craptera at it's best. I think that I have had issue with the freakin' car that is on this board, plus two broken springs!

mdksupra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera, Platinum

I'm having issues with the transmission going into 3rd or 4th gear, instead of 2nd. Did this issue go away when u replaced teh MAF? I'm going to remove mine right now to see if it works.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mdksupra View Post
    I'm having issues with the transmission going into 3rd or 4th gear, instead of 2nd. Did this issue go away when u replaced teh MAF? I'm going to remove mine right now to see if it works.
    I've never had trans related issues MAFS

mdksupra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera, Platinum

Thanks Hazard, your input is greatly appreciated.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Don't quote me because I'm not sure but I seem to recall that part of the L81 warm-up programming is 1st to third shifting until up to operating temp. In the south the warm-up period may be so short a warm up that the skipped 2nd gear may go unnoticed. In the north it's a more prolonged period. The transmission alarm shouldn't activate during the period but like I said I could be wrong about the whole thing.

I have never had my transmission "skip" a gear, but I do know that it does have the warm up period befor it will upshift when cold. Mine has never liked 2cd gear.. it always shift from 2cd to third very quickly,and then is sluggish for a second cause it seems to upshift too quickly. I have become used to it.. I dislike t, but hey.. it works. Thats all I care about.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.