"leveling car"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, "leveling car" in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I went for a ride to a different state and when I got out on the freeway the "leveling car" ...
    blanny431 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 catera

"leveling car"

I went for a ride to a different state and when I got out on the freeway the "leveling car" light came on and flashed all the way to Salem about 50 miles and when I finally got there and drove the next day the light was off but I am wondering when I go back if it will come back on and if it is dangerous? please let me know if someone has any ideas on this????thanks Kevin Oh I am in a 1999 catera

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

WGoins88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera

Re: "leveling car"

Flashing usually means that there is a leak in the system, or the compressor for the leveling system has failed. If the compressor is working, check the lines for breaks. If they are ok, your struts in the back need replaced.

Oh, and no, it's not dangerous, all that happens is you lose your leveling abilities.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

shocks are most likley shot. and look for what wgoins said also. the fact that it starts on a trip leads me to belive that once there is a wind flow over the car its forcing the car down and the air shocks are not pumping back up.. either bad air line, pump or shot shocks. there is one other contributing factor that I found... broken rear springs. thus causeing the car to sit 1" lower wearing the shocks, and pump out. I thought mine were bad shocks, and when we replaced them we found both rear springs broken, so even with the new shocks the leveling light came on cause car was sitting to low.
    I replaced my shocks with monroe shocks, but you either have to slice the fitting to work with the factory fitting, or as I did I put an old scholl manual fill system, just pump it up if Im gonna have a heavy load.
    hope this helps.

blanny431 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 catera

thanks very much that is what i was worried about...if it were dangerous or not...looks like Im looking for leaks first then struts next.......thanks again...Kev

the catera does not have rear struts. It has a simple shock. check your springs, mine were broke, and one was really close to the reakline and could have cut the line. the spings should curl into very small circle at the bottom and top. I belie its 10 coils total, but not 100% on that.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by blanny431 View Post
    I went for a ride to a different state and when I got out on the freeway the "leveling car" light came on and flashed all the way to Salem about 50 miles and when I finally got there and drove the next day the light was off but I am wondering when I go back if it will come back on and if it is dangerous? please let me know if someone has any ideas on this????thanks Kevin Oh I am in a 1999 catera
    Wait long enough and the bulb will burn out. That is what I am hoping for!

sounds like kaustein likes to complain more than just fix the problem. shocks, $90 plus $100 to install.. seemed like a cheap fix to me!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.