Catera enhanced performance!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera enhanced performance! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Howdy Guys! Just picked up a 2000 a few days ago. I put about 300 miles on it this weekend ...
    MILCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Catera enhanced performance!

Howdy Guys! Just picked up a 2000 a few days ago. I put about 300 miles on it this weekend and it runs like a champ. I have been looking for performance upgrades and ran across these two items. (Pickings seem pretty slim.)

First up is the Venom 400. From what I can tell, the Venom operates as a stand alone unit and doesn't mess with your computer like the Hypertech programmers, etc. I had a Hypertech on my Fusion and you could really feel the difference. Just Google venom 400. (I can't post links yet!)

Second up is this intake w/cone filter. (Search ebay for Catera Intake. It's the Insys.)
    The intake looks like just a tube and filter. I'm sure it would sound great but the Catera has a stock cold air intake up in front of the rad while this item would stick it back in the hotter engine compartment. I did have a K&N Typhoon on the Fusion too but it had a heat shield on it and the stock intake didn't have the CIA that the Catera does. Any thoughts on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Re: Catera enhanced performance!

I use a hot air intake set up for the winter as I get a bit better MPGs but for a loss of power...
    So you are right the CAI set up is good for intake temps that are just around 10deg higher then ambient...

As far as the other VENOM stuff, you are better off stock... those modify a signal to the PCM and after a while the PCM relearns with skewed signal...

Just use stock set up with 93 octane...
    Keep the tires pumped...
    Reduce weight and that would do what you desire...

Spare tire jack and floor mats can easily add up to 70lbs, then add half empty tank and you are easily 100lbs down on weight and thats good for 1/10th speed improvement on the track...

Get a GTO Big brake upgrade and perhaps remove the resonators under the car and install an X pipe...

Yeah MV6, I was a little leery about the Venom. Make sense that the puter would catch up with it. I run the tires at 34 psi. I don't know why but I have always run a pound over. Those GTO brakes would be great! The car has drilled and slotted rotors on the front now. Came with them. I don't like them because I think they are making an annoying sound. Can they turn slot/drill rotors? My pads are about half right now. I also discovered I have a K&N air filter too! I cleaned and re-charged it today. I think I'll stay with that and the factory CAI.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah, doesn't the catera's PCM 'learn' your driving style and tune accordingly?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I think so. A lot of instructions for mods include taking the ground off your battery. Then when you put it back on the computer reads the new mods. I think I did this when I put a catback and a CAI on my Fusion. It always popped an emission code when you programmed it but after a few start start ups it would complete a survey and not pop up again. I think the puters read throttle input and adjust accordingly either with a manual reboot or eventually on their own.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i think i heard here that there were two basically identical cateras at a drag strip that were performing quite a bit differently
    one of the guys said he just bought it recently from a 'granny driver' or something like that
    when he reset the pcm and went back to the track he was running more like the other catera
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I have noticed that and its a function of the Electronic Throttle control... if you are driving very peacefully, I think it takes into account the low RPM use and thus slows down the speed at which the plates open, so even if your foot is a little twitchy the system is slow to respond...

On the other hand after a weekend of fast pace driving i notice that the engine runs higher rpms and shifts later without the Sport button being engaged...
    So all and all here is what I would suggest.

As for intake, get a 90deg scoop and install it on the end of the forward tupe the one in front of the radiator so you can direct some more air into the air box.
    Second run some MMO in your fuel and engine to clean out some deposits that may have developed over time.
    Reduce as much weight as possible.
    Pump up the tires to say 38psi.
    Run only 93.
    Keep windows closed, and AC OFF with the off button and try not to use the front window defroster...
    Swap the two relays to disengage the DRLs.

If you can lighten the car and reduce any electrical load on the engine you will maximise HP and thus speed... wtih all those you can easily make your car .1-.2 sec faster to 60 I bet!

Mine has a few mods, exhaust, KN, Port/polish, 3.2L injectors, FPR, Suspension, etc and I am quite happy with it... last dyno before the 3.2L stuff was at 195rwhp... so I am sure its over 200 now.. which should be around 230 at the crank...
    Here is some more if you ever wanna take a look!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300600...dearborn-mi-us

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Surprised MV6 hasn't thrown it out to you yet, but if you really want to get those wheels turning and have a little cushion in your bank account look into a nice set of lightweight wheels. This will improve handling as well.

I cant agree more, light weight wheels does wonders to these cars, but most times they cost a pretty penny too. I think the ASA wheels that I have on the car are fairly light, with rubber on them, they are around 40lbs/pc compared to 56lbs/stock

I agree. I had ASA's on my Fusion. They felt a lot lighter than stock.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.