Had it with this car, so done with it..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Had it with this car, so done with it.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    ccatera10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

Angry Had it with this car, so done with it..

Well i do not want to spend another dime on this 98 catera , but might as well tell you guys what has been happening, just need input on the issue. most of these issues i have had for a while such as a slight mysterious leak that drips over the pan, but other than that the car has had a little misfire issue and a bit of water has been dripping well( so i thought) so hereís more info....

Changed my radiator about 3 months back and was working fine up until a few days ago seeing a minor, now a pretty bad leak by the driver side near the battery/lower part of the radiator. I have no idea where its coming from, water is constantly dripping on the metal frame underneath near the radiator screw. Radiator screw is tightly shut as well seems to be coming from a section a bit higher.

Another thing is that i was getting a pretty good amount of oil in the wells where the sparkplugs sit, I ALSO changed my valve covers about 3 months back all done properly and carefully. seems like its an internal leak, no oil is leaking from the outside covers. this has given me a few misfire codes at times the car stutters, loses power and rpms are low(but still drivable) when gas is very low the car stumbles as well.

another thing to add is this oil leak that i never found out where it was coming from( I could not locate the leak due to metal being in the way), oil has been leaking near the upper walls by the oil filter (which is not loose or leaking) and oil coolers, oil cooler lines which are fine, just see oil dripping everywhere oil pan and tranny bolts are secured , so i have no idea where this leak has been coming from. basically everything under the car is filled with oil dark grease around pan ect..

So now today before to work and checked my water in the overflow tank to see if any water has been dripping(I put one of those quick radiator fix tubes with brown substance in it about 3 days ago, nothing worked) and still see that water has been leaking, barley any water was in the overflow tank this morning. I put in the needed amount of water just to get to work and I was on my way. After a couple of minutes of driving and getting to work (took like 15 minutes) I started seeing alot of smoke mixed with vapor while driving, so I thought, hmm maybe its just that radiator again, water was present near the battery/driver side of the radiator area when I opened the hood. So I went on to do my work and left the car parked for a while. when I came back everything was dry, just a bit of water was left inside the overflow tank, barley any water. Since I live so close to my work i figured it would not be a big deal to drive it back home, although i knew i would see a bit of smoke/vapor come from the car. As i made my way home using the freeway i noticed that the cars gauge hot and cold was getting close to overheating so i just took it off the freeway and took it to the street. Going through the street their was slight smoke coming from the drivers side hood as i approached a near parking lot to make a right to park the car, the cateras oil light lit up red( I had the right amount of oil in the car, oil gauge is not working though) as well as a beep noise with a bulb and exclamation mark light appeared. At this point I knew I had to park it. Then suddenly right when Iím about to make a right, the car stops and appeared to shut down in the middle of the road. miraculously I got the car to start up after about a minute of not starting. After that I just managed to go into the nearest parking space i could find. When i parked the car it was just smoking all underneath and around the engine. I found it odd to see that the water was the least of smoke being caused and rather it seemed like oil from underneath the car was causing all the smoke. The car was just a big smoking mess!

Anyway thatís my story for today I guess if anyone wants to give me any input on the issues i had today It would be appreciated

pretty much I am done trying to revive this car

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: Had it with this car, so done with it..

Quote Originally Posted by ccatera10 View Post
    Well i do not want to spend another dime on this 98 catera , but might as well tell you guys what has been happening, just need input on the issue. most of these issues i have had for a while such as a slight mysterious leak that drips over the pan, but other than that the car has had a little misfire issue and a bit of water has been dripping well( so i thought) so hereís more info....

Changed my radiator about 3 months back and was working fine up until a few days ago seeing a minor, now a pretty bad leak by the driver side near the battery/lower part of the radiator. I have no idea where its coming from, water is constantly dripping on the metal frame underneath near the radiator screw. Radiator screw is tightly shut as well seems to be coming from a section a bit higher.

Another thing is that i was getting a pretty good amount of oil in the wells where the sparkplugs sit, I ALSO changed my valve covers about 3 months back all done properly and carefully. seems like its an internal leak, no oil is leaking from the outside covers. this has given me a few misfire codes at times the car stutters, loses power and rpms are low(but still drivable) when gas is very low the car stumbles as well.

another thing to add is this oil leak that i never found out where it was coming from( I could not locate the leak due to metal being in the way), oil has been leaking near the upper walls by the oil filter (which is not loose or leaking) and oil coolers, oil cooler lines which are fine, just see oil dripping everywhere oil pan and tranny bolts are secured , so i have no idea where this leak has been coming from. basically everything under the car is filled with oil dark grease around pan ect..

So now today before to work and checked my water in the overflow tank to see if any water has been dripping(I put one of those quick radiator fix tubes with brown substance in it about 3 days ago, nothing worked) and still see that water has been leaking, barley any water was in the overflow tank this morning. I put in the needed amount of water just to get to work and I was on my way. After a couple of minutes of driving and getting to work (took like 15 minutes) I started seeing alot of smoke mixed with vapor while driving, so I thought, hmm maybe its just that radiator again, water was present near the battery/driver side of the radiator area when I opened the hood. So I went on to do my work and left the car parked for a while. when I came back everything was dry, just a bit of water was left inside the overflow tank, barley any water. Since I live so close to my work i figured it would not be a big deal to drive it back home, although i knew i would see a bit of smoke/vapor come from the car. As i made my way home using the freeway i noticed that the cars gauge hot and cold was getting close to overheating so i just took it off the freeway and took it to the street. Going through the street their was slight smoke coming from the drivers side hood as i approached a near parking lot to make a right to park the car, the cateras oil light lit up red( I had the right amount of oil in the car, oil gauge is not working though) as well as a beep noise with a bulb and exclamation mark light appeared. At this point I knew I had to park it. Then suddenly right when Iím about to make a right, the car stops and appeared to shut down in the middle of the road. miraculously I got the car to start up after about a minute of not starting. After that I just managed to go into the nearest parking space i could find. When i parked the car it was just smoking all underneath and around the engine. I found it odd to see that the water was the least of smoke being caused and rather it seemed like oil from underneath the car was causing all the smoke. The car was just a big smoking mess!

Anyway thatís my story for today I guess if anyone wants to give me any input on the issues i had today It would be appreciated

pretty much I am done trying to revive this car
    ccatera10 sorry to hear about the issues.

If the smoke was not steam then I assume it is oil.

If you blew the valve cover gaskets you should see oil smoke. At worst you may have blown the head gasket.

Assuming it is the valve cover gaskets, you will have to redo those. Even more important is that you need to clean the breather system. Blocked breather system will blow more gaskets than you can throw in. Minor and major oil leaks.

Let us know if you going to be keeping or trashing the car and then we can provide further suggestions/help as needed.

Good luck.

ccatera10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I will go back in a few hours to where I left the caddy at just to see if it will start up/try to do a quick fix, havent tried to start it after I barely got it to re-start from completley shutting down on me as I mentioned before.

But thank you for your words of support. You as well as many others on this board need to be thanked more often for providing us catera owners so much valuable information. I have learned alot about this car regardless of the issues that I have had with it. Any knowledge even through failure is valuable in my eyes.

I will see if the car gods will want this car to continue to work, If not it will go to car cemetary (junk yard)

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

man, that really sounds like head gasket to me.... I mean Im not a pro, but vapors out the exaust, oil loss all around the motor... contant loss in differant location?? unless something is plugged up as mentioned.. You can have a smoke test dont on the motor to see if head gasket is blown. Im having an issue finding a mech to work on my catera.. but it takes time. Stop driving it for sure.. have it toweded.. I recomend a dealer diognostic.. maybe a $1000 repair but thats way less than a new car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.