Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Timing... PLEASE HELP! I'm an idiot....

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  WGoins88 
#1 ·
Ok, so I followed the directions to put the crank to 60* BTDC....however...

My idiot arse didn't know that the cam sprockets were going to slip when I pulled the belt off! I know there is no damage because I put it to 60*, but how in the heck am I supposed to know where to reset them to? Should I just say screw and and dump the car, or is there hope?

Yes, I know I should have the timing install kit, but I can't afford the insane deposit that comes with them!

#4 ·
Send me your e-mail address and I will attach what I can find and send to you. I believe you also visit Omegaowners and there are some very experienced people if you can get their attention.

What happens is that there are two revolutions of cam sprockets for every complete revolution of the crankshaft. So at 60 degrees the cam marks should be located at 120 degrees ahead of the timing mark on the rear timing cover. This is assuming that you were exactly 60 degrees before TDC when you took the belt out. So all cams should be to the left of the timing marks on the cover by 120 degrees. If you can count the teeth on the sprockets you need to divide it by 3 and then get the cams lined up. You will need to lock these in position before trying to put the new belt on and verifying everytning and probably have to check timing and may have to re-do few times.

Caution is to not force the situation and if you can remove the plugs you should also be able to feel and perhaps see the position of the pistons so that you don't do damage.

Hope the above helps.

Good luck.

#6 ·
Ok, I looked at that, and 15.3 teeth would be too far... it looks more like 5 or 6. Anyone able to 100% confirm how many teeth away from the cam sprocket marks it is for 60* TDC? I wish I could just inch the crank and cams to 0*, but it's ultra risky....especially if one of the sprockets slip.

#7 ·
I got it....

I am SO stupid. Sure enough... I turned all the sprockets to their rightful positions, locked them with clothespins between the sprockets, and turned to the crank to 0*... and it worked! I feel so dumb now.... ;D Belt is reinstalled now, and is STAYING until I get a timing tool kit.

#8 ·
Good to hear that. Did you turn the crank by hand/socket at all or you assumed all the cams rotated counterclockwise when you removed the belt?

If you remove the spark plugs and can freely move the crank without any metal contacts between pistons and valves you should be pretty much in the clear. Taking the plugs out will help move the crank easier as there will be no compression, check that all the pistons are moving freely (one can put a straight thin rod through the plug hole) and in the right sequence.

I suggested the above just so not to cause any damage and peace of mind.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.