Are Cadillac Cateras money pits???????????????????????????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Are Cadillac Cateras money pits??????????????????????????? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I purchased a 2000 Cadillac Catera sport with 40,000 original miles.I payed 3,500 for the car.It's a lovely car on ...
    franksnts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Are Cadillac Cateras money pits???????????????????????????

I purchased a 2000 Cadillac Catera sport with 40,000 original miles.I payed 3,500 for the car.It's a lovely car on the outside and the inside.But I'm getting news that this cars are nothing but money pits.Or are they like any other car that needs a little TLC????Let me know your experience with this cars,so I could sell now with low miles.Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: Are Cadillac Cateras money pits???????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by franksnts View Post
    I purchased a 2000 Cadillac Catera sport with 40,000 original miles.I payed 3,500 for the car.It's a lovely car on the outside and the inside.But I'm getting news that this cars are nothing but money pits.Or are they like any other car that needs a little TLC????Let me know your experience with this cars,so I could sell now with low miles.Thank you.
    Not necessarily money pits if you have some time and can do a few things yourself.

Definitely money pit if after every little anomaly you run to the dealer. I am guilty of doing that early on but I had extended warranty then.

Touch wood now.

libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

Hello Fellow Catera Victims:I thought I had a comm problem between the engine and trans fixed with a throttle position sensor, but oh no the Cat wasnt going to have any of that. This week the trans started slipping and my garage says "guess what" and I said I don't want to hear it. I had just amassed all the parts necessary to change the timing belt. Tonight I ran an OBD test and the greedy SOB wants another 02 sensor. UsedCat I've seen your frustration and I'm now of the same feeling that these things are deffinitly a money pit. I'm considering reserecting my 82 Continental and throwing a cover over the Cat. On top of that I need a pair of snow tires to mach the Michelins I put on the back last winter (no snow came). This year they say we're in for the worst winter in 55 years. Let's just get drunk and push them into the ocean. Thanks for asking that question UsedCat, I feel so much better now. Regards, Brian

franksnts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Thats some funny shit.By the way how was your cat. acting up with that throttle position sensor?I can start the cat up fine,but then it idles real ruff,then dies out.When I step on the gas it misfires.I just went and bought a new interstate battery.Thinking maybe it was the used battery i put in.All my problems started when i disconnected the battery to change some HID lights.What a pain to change a couple of bulbs.I'm also thinking it may be an altenator.I'll soon find out.But I'm probably going to get rid of it.Theirs some young victim out their willing to buy it.

Well I just guessed that the tranny problem was related, but obviously not. Yesterday I had my garage do the timing belt, pulleys etc., the water pump andthe serpentine bet and tensioner. There's one less thing to go wrong. The 2 pulleys for the timing belt showed more wobble than I wanted to see. Likewise for the serp tensioner. I'm sure everyone out there that doesn't know when the timing belt was changed have the same feeling I had and that was " when is it going to tear everything apart?". At least now the tranny can be addressed. Third gear is a sick puppy, so now I save up some cash to get it doctored. Regards, Brian

catera00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by franksnts View Post
    Yes they are. Mine seems to have problems mostly relating to cooling issues. Leaks, overheating, clogged heater core, blown head gasket w/ warped head (Previous owner must have let it over heat). Rarely does it NOT have a check engine light. And the car only had 50K miles on it when I bought it. I love the car but its a nightmare when it doesnt work.

chevy-man77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

nice driving car but horrible to work on and you have to work on it alot

wazazzle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

I just bought mine this month. Not so much money but just being able to find local parts is hard enough.

WGoins88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera

In short? Yes and no. They are generally unreliable compared to a lot of cars..... but nothing can be as bad as a 3.8 Taurus/Sable.... costly tranny and head gasket problems with those. You are guaranteed HGs every 30-50k, and transmissions every 70-100k.

But like most german cars, quality is hit or miss on the Catera. Some people have bought Cateras and haven't had so much as a single problem except a oil cooler or 2, and others have been completely plagued with problems. German cars have ALWAYS been like this.

I personally think the Catera is unreliable because I came from a Pontiac Bonneville SSEi that was ungodly reliable.

Maybe it depends on which day of the week is was built. I spent time with the Cdn. military in Germany in the 60's and let's face it they like their beer (and why not it's the best in the world). When Friday rolls around who wants to be building cars for someone "over there?" with a North American name on it. I'm sure the Catera helped sell a hell of a lot more Beemers, Porches and MB's. Just a thought. Regards, Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.