97 Catera Heat issues. HELP PLEASE...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 97 Catera Heat issues. HELP PLEASE... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 97 Catera and the passenger vents quit producing heat and started blowing cold air ( Driver side ...
    jay5376 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Catera

97 Catera Heat issues. HELP PLEASE...

I have a 97 Catera and the passenger vents quit producing heat and started blowing cold air ( Driver side still worked ). Then one day i accidentally turned the climate control on the driver side down thinking it was the radio volume, which turned the driver side cold as well, and now i have no heat. What could it be? Driver and passenger vents now blow outside temperature air ( which is Flipping COLD!!!!)

I was thinking the actuator but, that would mean both driver and passenger actuator are bad and that doesn't seem right.

Any opinions? Any and all help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 97 Catera Heat issues. HELP PLEASE...

no one can help me??

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by jay5376 View Post
    no one can help me??
    I believe there is a mixer chamber of cold and hot on each side which controls the independent conditions on either side. It is rather cumbersome but see if the following is of any help,

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...09&grouptype=B

Check for hoses and connections 11 and 12 in the following,

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...09&grouptype=B

There is perhaps also visual check to see the actuator motor shafts are not protruding too much out as these are known to do and then these do not allo the actuator lever to activate right operation of mixing and distribution.

Sorry a little on the deep end and not too specific but I did not have to tackle this job myself yet.

One has to assume that you checked all the fuses and that the Elecronic Control Module for AC/Heat is working. Mine had to be replaced once and it was done by the dealer under warranty.

Cheers.

Yes i did check all of the fuses and could not find one that was blown, also the climate control digital display still works, Blower comes on but i am not getting any heat or A/C which would leave me to believe that ( like you said ) either the actuator rod is protruding or the climate control module is bad.

I will check when my fiance gets home and update on my progress.

It's a real pain in the a$$ since it's pretty cold out, but today it's not so bad so I'll give it a whirl while the weather is in my favor!

I hope i can get this taken care of before the week starts. Driving in a COLD car makes life miserable.

If anyone has ANY experience in this troubling field, let me know. ANY and all suggestions on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

also When i turn the A/C on I DO NOT hear the compressor kick on and there is no condensation from the evaporator coil. This leads me to believe that the Climate control module is bad? Maybe?

I'll check the actuator first to see if it's moving, I'm gonna call a junkyard to see how much the module cost.

Best Regards; Jay

Update: i took off the driver and passenger actuator motors. The driver side motor was going crazy ( it wouldn't stop running back and forward ) I'm guess my issue is the climate control module so this week I'm going to hit up the junkyard and purchase actuator motors and the Module.

For now i manually turned the mixer in the heat position so we don't freeze our asses off till i get time to fix the issue.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thank you for the help Cat..

Best Regards; Jay

Update Update Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the actuator ( mixer motor ), One rod was protruding out to far and the other had a bad connection to the harness ( loose wire )

I fixed both issues and sprayed very little non-corrosive lube at the connection. I checked to make sure everything was working fine, and it is. Thank the Lawd for your words kept tinkering in my head. lol Thank you Cat.

Best Regards; Jay

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by jay5376 View Post
    Update Update Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the actuator ( mixer motor ), One rod was protruding out to far and the other had a bad connection to the harness ( loose wire )

I fixed both issues and sprayed very little non-corrosive lube at the connection. I checked to make sure everything was working fine, and it is. Thank the Lawd for your words kept tinkering in my head. lol Thank you Cat.

Best Regards; Jay
    Jay great to hear you found the solution.

Did you take any pictures or was it easy to access the areas you worked on? Did you have to remove any panels, etc., under the dash or driver/passenger side panels, etc.? I don't need info right away just for future in case.

Regards.

I'm sorry but i did not take any pictures.. It was fairly easy to access the actuator.
    It's right above where the center console ends, towards the floor board. It's a pear shape cap that you can pull off and exposes the actuator.
    Next thing is to remove two small screws at 12 & 6 O'clock and that frees the actuator. very simple. I DID NOT have to remove anything. ( a little tussling with the end of the center console is all). other then that. it went fairly smooth.

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Since this is a heater topic on a 97, anyone have any info on accessing the blower motor resistor without completely tearing apart my dash??? No blower at all.... Getting really cold, and its really irratating having to wipe the condensation of my windshield in the morning. Any help or diagrams would be amazing and deeply appreciated!

normalicy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Thanks jay5376, this helped me fix the same issue. It was my actuator as well. A note, there were actually three screws both on my car and the car I pulled the donor actuator from. One of the screws is located underneath where the connector is attached. You have to disconnect the wires to get to the screw. It's located in the little exposed sliver right where the carpet/center console/lower dash all meet.

Also, I know it's outrageously late, but the answer to your question Matera97 is that you have to pull the glove box to get to the resistor. There are probably a good 10-15 screws holding it in. There are some sneaky ones. 3 are located at the top of the glove box (silver color). There are also the ones that are mounted in the right blower vent. You have to pop the vent out to get to them (I used a hooked pick tool). After you've done this, the rest are fairly obvious. Once it's out, it's a straight shot to the resistor way up high in the dash towards the center.

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

is this the rod you talking about?Attachment 100446

normalicy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

I'm doubtful that is the rod they're talking about. There's a rod that actually attaches from this actuator to the vent & it can become disconnected & lodged.

While I'm at it, I realized that there are 2 screws holding just the motor. There are, however, 3 screws as I noted previously for the entire actuator assembly. In my case, just the motor was bad & I could have avoided unbolting the assembly along with the rods.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.