1997 Catera - Need suggestions on where to start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 1997 Catera - Need suggestions on where to start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am a college student and only have this car and an opportunity to use it, if I can get ...
    rpettit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Question 1997 Catera - Need suggestions on where to start

I am a college student and only have this car and an opportunity to use it, if I can get it fixed. Sorry if this is long and perhaps redundant, but I have searched the forums for answers, trying to do this on my own. At this point I need help, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a 1997 Catera and have some issues with it and need some reference points on where to start.

1. I have noticed that there is a lot of info out there on 1998's and newer. Are any of these threads going to be compatible reference material for a 1997? How about the Opel, would I look at the same year or a different year? What model?

2. My dash gauges are all over the place and the odo does not work. Code is P0501, assuming from what I have read, VSS needs replaced. simple enough, but what about the others? Seems the rpm works, but get heat light, oil light coming on, but does not seem to be a problem mechanically while driving. Any suggestions?

Some other codes I get are p0411, p0171, p0174 and pending p0134 -02B151 no activity. I have looked these up, but am not sure where to start fixing or replacing things.

3. Dome light does not come on, ever. Unless you open the back doors, then it will come on.. sometimes.

4. Cd player will play, then starts missing, but continues to play.

5. When selecting "source" on radio, I can hit the button twice and it switches sources, but on the third hit of the button, the whole thing will shut down, and will not power on unless I turn off the car and re-start it.

6. Both front and rear driver side windows work. Passenger side do not. The passenger side buttons on the console seem to be stiff and wont move like the other two. The switches on the doors do not seem to move the windows either, however they do move.

OK, enough complaints. I just need some suggestions on where to start on some of these issues. I have searched the forum for information regarding the 1997, it just seems to be slim pickings for information on this model year.

Thanks for you help in advance..
    Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: 1997 Catera - Need suggestions on where to start

Quote Originally Posted by rpettit View Post
    I am a college student and only have this car and an opportunity to use it, if I can get it fixed. Sorry if this is long and perhaps redundant, but I have searched the forums for answers, trying to do this on my own. At this point I need help, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a 1997 Catera and have some issues with it and need some reference points on where to start.

1. I have noticed that there is a lot of info out there on 1998's and newer. Are any of these threads going to be compatible reference material for a 1997? How about the Opel, would I look at the same year or a different year? What model?

2. My dash gauges are all over the place and the odo does not work. Code is P0501, assuming from what I have read, VSS needs replaced. simple enough, but what about the others? Seems the rpm works, but get heat light, oil light coming on, but does not seem to be a problem mechanically while driving. Any suggestions?

Some other codes I get are p0411, p0171, p0174 and pending p0134 -02B151 no activity. I have looked these up, but am not sure where to start fixing or replacing things.

3. Dome light does not come on, ever. Unless you open the back doors, then it will come on.. sometimes.

4. Cd player will play, then starts missing, but continues to play.

5. When selecting "source" on radio, I can hit the button twice and it switches sources, but on the third hit of the button, the whole thing will shut down, and will not power on unless I turn off the car and re-start it.

6. Both front and rear driver side windows work. Passenger side do not. The passenger side buttons on the console seem to be stiff and wont move like the other two. The switches on the doors do not seem to move the windows either, however they do move.

OK, enough complaints. I just need some suggestions on where to start on some of these issues. I have searched the forum for information regarding the 1997, it just seems to be slim pickings for information on this model year.

Thanks for you help in advance..
    Ryan
    Ryan welcome. If you give your general whereabouts perhaps if there is a member who is near by can also personally assist.

This mode of helping happens a lot at the Omegaownersforum in UK, granted that they have lot of these cars under the Omega A, Omega Pre-Facelift, Omega Facelift, Omega B models in the UK versus Cateras in North America.

Your vintage will perhaps fall under Omega A (Vauxhall Opel).

One of the sites that you may want to familiarize yourself with is the following,

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?s=...585&makecode=K

You can see lot of parts and assemblies as well as a ball park on new part costs.

If you can perhaps take a picture of your dash when you see the error symbols lit, it perhaps can also provide help to people trying to help you.

Not clear answers but to get the ball rolling for you.

Thanks!

I am located near Lafayette, IN. Long distance is no problem for me. Would be glad to discuss at anytime!

O.K. I replaced the VSS and still no speedo or odo.

Is there a way to check to see if the cable from the vss sensor on the back of the transmission to where ever it goes is working correctly?

libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

Hey UsedCat that is one awesome site for parts and diagrams. Every Catera owner should look that over. THANKS!! Regards, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by libbysman View Post
    Hey UsedCat that is one awesome site for parts and diagrams. Every Catera owner should look that over. THANKS!! Regards, Brian
    You are welcome Brian. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rpettit View Post
    O.K. I replaced the VSS and still no speedo or odo.

Is there a way to check to see if the cable from the vss sensor on the back of the transmission to where ever it goes is working correctly?
    My guess would be that it is going to get buried in the harness going towards the ECU, etc. So perhaps not possible.

If you look into the signatures I believe one of the people on the forum (..hqguy..) is from Indiana. Seek if he is near by and willing to help.

Cheers.

Unbelievable. The speedometer kick on and worked for about 20 miles the other day. Stopped the car, restarted it and nothing. It kicked on one more time during the day and that was it. frustrating.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post
    This mode of helping happens a lot at the Omegaownersforum in UK, granted that they have lot of these cars under the Omega A, Omega Pre-Facelift, Omega Facelift, Omega B models in the UK versus Cateras in North America.

Your vintage will perhaps fall under Omega A (Vauxhall Opel).

One of the sites that you may want to familiarize yourself with is the following,

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?s=...585&makecode=K

You can see lot of parts and assemblies as well as a ball park on new part costs.

If you can perhaps take a picture of your dash when you see the error symbols lit, it perhaps can also provide help to people trying to help you.

Not clear answers but to get the ball rolling for you.
    I hate to contradict you but you're wrong about the Catera's genealogy. First, our Cateras are Opel Omega Bs. The As are entirely different cars with nothing in common with the Catera. The B is unofficially divided into sub-groups. The '97-'99 is the pre-facelift. The '00-'01 is the facelift. The changes were mostly cosmetic except the '99 was fitted with the facelift's "Fly by Wire" throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    I hate to contradict you but you're wrong about the Catera's genealogy. First, our Cateras are Opel Omega Bs. The As are entirely different cars with nothing in common with the Catera. The B is unofficially divided into sub-groups. The '97-'99 is the pre-facelift. The '00-'01 is the facelift. The changes were mostly cosmetic except the '99 was fitted with the facelift's "Fly by Wire" throttle.
    No problem Elvin315 I certainly profess to not know as much as yourself given your contributions. We need to help the poster as much as we can and hopefully I did not mislead him/her too much.

Any suggestions on the issues that the poster has as I am not too familiar with his issues as I have not run into those myself!

Regards.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

hey I saw mention of me.. Im actually located in rochester ny orry I am not closer to help, and I didnt own my 97 catera long enough to have problems with it.. but did love it. I currantly have the 2000 sport. and I think i recently found a good mech!! he works on another 2000 for another customer. and actually willing to only charge book time to do the timing belt and tentioners!!!!
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hgqguy View Post
    hey I saw mention of me.. Im actually located in rochester ny orry I am not closer to help, and I didnt own my 97 catera long enough to have problems with it.. but did love it. I currantly have the 2000 sport. and I think i recently found a good mech!! he works on another 2000 for another customer. and actually willing to only charge book time to do the timing belt and tentioners!!!!
    Sorry I mixed up the reference to you. The person with Indiana in their location is the following and he is got some good stuff done to the car,
    Sorry about that.

Doug Chase is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera x 2

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    First, our Cateras are Opel Omega Bs. The As are entirely different cars with nothing in common with the Catera. The B is unofficially divided into sub-groups. The '97-'99 is the pre-facelift. The '00-'01 is the facelift. The changes were mostly cosmetic except the '99 was fitted with the facelift's "Fly by Wire" throttle.
    Not to hijack, but thanks. I've been looking for that info.

rpettit, for the dome light thing, check out the K34 relay box. I found lots of broken solder joints in mine, and from reading around here that's not uncommon.

Also, if you have no idea what the K34 relay box is, a factory service manual will make your life much easier if you're going to maintain this car. It's invaluable, and can be had for around $70 used. To my knowledge, the '97 and '98 Cateras are basically identical, so either of those manuals will work for you. Here's a good site: http://search.factoryautomanuals.com...eywords-catera

Doug

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.