Catera died not sure where to start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera died not sure where to start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was at a red light and noticed my car started to sputter so I went to pull over. Temp ...
    Brosepe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Catera died not sure where to start

I was at a red light and noticed my car started to sputter so I went to pull over. Temp and oil pressure was normal. In the process of switching lanes to pull over the engine shut off and the oil pressure dropped and the temp maxed out. I was not able to get it started again. Several hours later when I got it towed to my house the driver was able to get it to crank over and it sounded like ice in a blender. It has been in my drive way for a month. It starts now but it runs really rough and stalls out. Plus there is a burning rubber and plastic smell when it gets to temp. I haven't torn into the engine yet. I'm guessing timing went out and I bent some valves? Any ideas on what happened and what damage I may have done? I don't have a ton of cash to fix it and I'll being doing the work myself

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: Catera died not sure where to start

I believe the best place to start is to get the OBDC codes out of the on board computer. I would assume you are getting a check engine light. I bought a scanner a long time ago for my Catera. Alternatively, some auto stores will scan it for you for free, but buying a scanner is a good investment. Hopefully, you don't have the dreaded Catera timing belt failure.

I have a scanner, learned early with the Catera and bought one. The odd thing is I'm not getting any codes. I've run it a couple of times to try and get the check engine light to pop, but only for about 5 to 10 minutes because I have to keep giving it throttle to keep it from stalling. I just don't want to start tearing it apart without knowing what I'm getting into. That is the frustrating part. I hate to call a scrap yard to take it away. I have done a ton of stuff to it. I have KYB GR2 struts up front. Eibach lowering springs, 2004 GTO calipers upfront, EBC green stuff pads all around, Upgraded stainless steel puller fan ( I forget the brand but it was more than double the CFM). I got the car with 5,000 miles on it and put over 100,000 on it myself. It may just have been it's time. I had the timing belt done at about 65,000 miles. I fixed the oil cooler and one of the o rings from the intake fell in to the engine and messed up some valves. So I had to get the heads rebuilt and they did the timing at the same time. That took a month and cost me like $2000 for parts, labor, and machining. I don't want to do that again. Still if anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it.

raffterman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts, 2000 catera

Sounds like you got a problem to. Did you rest your ECM? It's too bad that there is not enough good information to help us deal with these kinds of problems. If your changing a head the amount of help you'll find here may be sparse. But on the other hand if your wanting to put blue bulbs in your headlights ,you've come to the right place I think lol. But seriously if you have bent anything inside I really don't think it would run at all . At worst maybe take it to the dealer or whoever to get a idea of what is going on . I've done it twice at 100.00 a pop ,then fixed myself . Now I have found good help here , mostly in searching and reading through the threads. Good luck try to keep us posted on what you find out.

If I need to get some salvage heads, anybody know a good place online or in the Tampa Bay area where I can get some cheap? I might try LKQ salvage a couple weeks. I started a new job after being unemployed for 10 months so haven't really had the time to work on it. Also I need the interior in tan for the drivers side door if anybody has one or knows where I can get one in decent shape.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Brosepe View Post
    If I need to get some salvage heads, anybody know a good place online or in the Tampa Bay area where I can get some cheap? I might try LKQ salvage a couple weeks. I started a new job after being unemployed for 10 months so haven't really had the time to work on it. Also I need the interior in tan for the drivers side door if anybody has one or knows where I can get one in decent shape.
    I beieve in Florida there are people selling fully re-furbished heads on eBay. These are around $275 or so and appear reasonable.

Of the following two, one is in Texas and the other in Clearwater, FL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CATER...item562eba6dcc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-CA...item27b5412117

Cheers.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

raffterman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts, 2000 catera

Hey man I take back what I said the other day . I think maybe it will still run if you have something bent because I'm having alot trouble with mine with misfires after a timing belt failure. My #6 cyl is showing 0 compression and it's blowing up through the intake , but it runs (very poorly) though and it also it throwing a misfire for #6 . I bought a used head for my right side on this fourm for 150.00 shiping was around 30.00 from illinois to california , and that side of the motor carries good compression. Good luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.