3.2l motor swap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 3.2l motor swap in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey there guys. Done alot of browsing on this forum. 98 catera 3.0L obviously shot. I have just purchased a ...
    z28hellrazer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

3.2l motor swap

Hey there guys. Done alot of browsing on this forum. 98 catera 3.0L obviously shot. I have just purchased a 70,000 mile 3.2L for 950$. I wont be updating until my motor is out and I start swapping the parts. But at that point I will take as many pictures as I can. Anyone who has done this swap your input would be appreciated, as it stands this is also for the greater good of catera owners worldwide.

I know the world today but if anyone interested in this swap would like to temporarily donate a set of catera repair manuals I will return them once finished with the swap.

My brother and also my best friend are certified mechanics graduated from uti and will be helping with the swap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: 3.2l motor swap

Quote Originally Posted by z28hellrazer View Post
    Hey there guys. Done alot of browsing on this forum. 98 catera 3.0L obviously shot. I have just purchased a 70,000 mile 3.2L for 950$. I wont be updating until my motor is out and I start swapping the parts. But at that point I will take as many pictures as I can. Anyone who has done this swap your input would be appreciated, as it stands this is also for the greater good of catera owners worldwide.

I know the world today but if anyone interested in this swap would like to temporarily donate a set of catera repair manuals I will return them once finished with the swap.

My brother and also my best friend are certified mechanics graduated from uti and will be helping with the swap.
    http://http://images.omegaowners.com...ineRebuild.pdf

I have the 1998 Catera paper manuals but shipping/postage is going to be bad from here in Canada and back to you.

I have come across some great info at the Omega Owners Forum, I will think through the info and post some links or if you want to share private E-mail, try to mail you stuff if it helps.

Cheers and good luck.

thanks alot

Basically Im worried about the torque specs when interchanging the intakes, and anything in between the firewall and the motor itself that I cant see physically when removing and reinstalling. my email is jamesbrickner@yahoo.com anything you send me please put the subject as catera help. otherwise I run a high risk of deleting it by accident. Thanks - James.

Would have private messaged this but they wont allow me to send them

Basically Im worried about the torque specs when interchanging the intakes, and anything in between the firewall and the motor itself that I cant see physically when removing and reinstalling. my email is jamesbrickner@yahoo.com anything you send me please put the subject as catera help. otherwise I run a high risk of deleting it by accident. Thanks - James.

Would have private messaged this but they wont allow me to send them
    Some info posted to your e-mail, hope it is of use.

Good luck.

Progress isnt much due to rain all day and night but there is progress. I picked up the motor and ordered what i would think is the proper gaskets. Intake manifold, oil pan, and exhaust manifold gaskets. Anything else I should need? and does anyone think it would be easier to drop motor and trans through the bottom? I have a lift in my garage

You got a good project there my friend. Looks impressive and you are pretty well equipped with hanging stuff. Nice looking CTS engine to boot.

In terms of placing the engine I think it will depend much on how much dis-assembly of suspension, cooling, braking and steering parts you do. The key areas (you are more experienced I am just rambling a bit!) being lining up the engine support, the torque converter and transmission in pretty perfect line. Then one could attend to the piping/hoses, ancillary and electrical.

Good luck and would love to see some clear pictures of engine surroundings and sensors, solenoids, switches and vacuum routing. There are lot of questions over time on location of such components and could help the forum.

Regards.

I had an interesting suggestion put to me that I may be able to swap just the throttle body off of the 3.0 to the 3.2 instead of swapping the whole intake. any opinions here. Im just waiting for the rain to stop to pull the 3.0 but its supposed to rain for a week so dont expect much progress ladies and gentleman

I had an interesting suggestion put to me that I may be able to swap just the throttle body off of the 3.0 to the 3.2 instead of swapping the whole intake. any opinions here. Im just waiting for the rain to stop to pull the 3.0 but its supposed to rain for a week so dont expect much progress ladies and gentleman
    I believe at Cateraowners forum and perhaps a parallel post here CateraMV6 has done that and has shown great improvement.

http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/h...stall-t175.htm

http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/h...ifold-t156.htm

There are obviously bigger bore/pistons in CTS 3.2L versus Catera 3.0L. So there is not much ways to absolutely beat the CTS 3.2L without going turbo, etc. with the Catera 3.0L engine.

The changing of fuel injectors and fuel injector harness and the fuel pressure regulator is obviously a much easier route as these appear to fit just right in according to the post referenced.

Cheers

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Very possible. The 1999 Catera used the 3.0L V6 with the "long-nose plenum", same as the 2000 - 2001, with no clearance problems under the lower hood. Swapping the older throttle bodies in place of the newer throttle bodies should be all it takes to use the "long-nose" with the old throttle linkage. That is if the throttle cable is long enough and you can mount the throttle linkage on the new plenum. If it doesn't work you still have all the parts to change to the old intake.

You might have to keep the old Dual-Ram intake though. The newer Multi-Ram system might not work with the early ECU.

Thank you fellas, sorry about all the questions but Im trying to gather as much info as I possibly can to make this swap as easy as possible not only for myself but for the rest of the catera owners on this forum that desire a smooth running catera haha. I still havent gotten the engine out due to the rain but I have removed everything but the oil pan and the intake off of the 3.2L. I am going to order the gaskets i need tomorrow.

ok well now everything is labeled and everything is out of the way. Should be pulling the motor out tonight. Ill let everyone know how I make out. Im removing the radiator ,the airbox and disconnecting the main wire harness.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Might as well replace that crappy positive batt cable while you've got everything out.

Motors out and the 3.2 is completely stripped waiting on gaskets to start putting the puzzle back together. what would yous like pics of?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.