2000 Cat ,random misfires after RT head swap W/ 98 head.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2000 Cat ,random misfires after RT head swap W/ 98 head. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This locked up on my Daughter because a cam bearing went bad and it jumped timing. wouldn't even turn over, ...
    raffterman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts, 2000 catera

2000 Cat ,random misfires after RT head swap W/ 98 head.

This locked up on my Daughter because a cam bearing went bad and it jumped timing.
    wouldn't even turn over, Bought a used head off a 98 Cat , the swap went fine except the bolt holes for the coil pack are different so the RT pack isn't bolted in so I don't know if that effects the grounding of that pack or not. I changed the plugs . I reset the ecm . But I'm getting p0300 : random misfire ,each time I clear the dtc it comes back with different cylinders misfires,(ie:random). I've tore it back down to the timing belt and the marks are still right on , they havent moved . Anyway If the timing was off wouldn't it throw a code? cam sensor, coil pack, crank sensor, It just sounds like a couple plug wires are pulled, It's not poping or backfireing. I was reading in the fourms and saw where someone had trouble with a purge valve and it was causing problems and misfires was one of them , but the valve didn't throw a code . And I have checked to make sure the canister purge valve is hooked up and pluged back in plus the other various vacume lines and I hope I havent missed 1. I did find way in the back and down behind all that stuff running to the plenum there is an end to a fat hose about 1/4inch i.d , 1/2inch o/d thinking that might be a breather to transaxle? what u guys think eh ? Also I observed that when I start it the plenum right above the runner for #6 it gets warm fast and when the plenum is removed it's wet right there inside plenum and down inside the runner and it smells like old funky gas. It don't smell nice like fresh gas and the car has been up on these jack stands 4 four months so I'll dump some stable plus some fresh gas in it. I'm running out of ideas so I'm hoping and prayin for some help . p.s. don't mind spelling. Thanks Raffter

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: 2000 Cat ,random misfires after RT head swap W/ 98 head.

Quote Originally Posted by raffterman View Post
    This locked up on my Daughter because a cam bearing went bad and it jumped timing.
    wouldn't even turn over, Bought a used head off a 98 Cat , the swap went fine except the bolt holes for the coil pack are different so the RT pack isn't bolted in so I don't know if that effects the grounding of that pack or not. I changed the plugs . I reset the ecm . But I'm getting p0300 : random misfire ,each time I clear the dtc it comes back with different cylinders misfires,(ie:random). I've tore it back down to the timing belt and the marks are still right on , they havent moved . Anyway If the timing was off wouldn't it throw a code? cam sensor, coil pack, crank sensor, It just sounds like a couple plug wires are pulled, It's not poping or backfireing. I was reading in the fourms and saw where someone had trouble with a purge valve and it was causing problems and misfires was one of them , but the valve didn't throw a code . And I have checked to make sure the canister purge valve is hooked up and pluged back in plus the other various vacume lines and I hope I havent missed 1. I did find way in the back and down behind all that stuff running to the plenum there is an end to a fat hose about 1/4inch i.d , 1/2inch o/d thinking that might be a breather to transaxle? what u guys think eh ? Also I observed that when I start it the plenum right above the runner for #6 it gets warm fast and when the plenum is removed it's wet right there inside plenum and down inside the runner and it smells like old funky gas. It don't smell nice like fresh gas and the car has been up on these jack stands 4 four months so I'll dump some stable plus some fresh gas in it. I'm running out of ideas so I'm hoping and prayin for some help . p.s. don't mind spelling. Thanks Raffter
    raffterman little shot in the dark if it gives you some ideas,

• Fuel filter pretty easy to change on these cars and I have recently replaced on mine for piece of mind and integrity of fuel supply. That is if it has not been changed over time.
    • Fuel injector cleaner couldn't hurt to keep the injectors spray properly atomized fuel
    • Rislone or like for any stuck lifters, sticky valves
    If you have electrical issues I doubt it will be as random as you have described. I use GM Dielectric grease to seal ignition dis pack on mine but the equivalent for your model may be beneficial.

If I think of are come across a solution I will update.

Good luck.

Ok thanks for help.

Ok I'll be taking the left head off it looks like cause when the timing belt jumped aparently valves and piston on #6 came in contact with each other ( no compression on #6. It is blowing back into the intake so I'm thinking intake valve is bent at least .Man I'm real bumed but at least I'm pretty used to tearing this engine down. and I still have my old head from the right side so I might try to use a valve from it , I just have to be as cheap as I can. For the most part parts are not inexpensive . Might have to take out a loan for new head gasket and bolts .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.