Need advice to relay back to parents...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Need advice to relay back to parents... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My parents have a 2000 Catera and have run into some serious issues: 1) The electrical has pretty much gone ...
    radar2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Need advice to relay back to parents...

My parents have a 2000 Catera and have run into some serious issues:

1) The electrical has pretty much gone in the car. Trunk won't even open.

2) The transmission is getting stuck in 1st and 2nd but once they get going, things seem to be OK.

The dealership had quoted my parents around $6000 to get things fixed. They mentioned that the electrical wiring has to be replaced and that the transmission would have to be replaced.

Here's the suspicious part...the dealership said that they would have to order the electrical part (wiring??) from the US. They said they placed the order back on August 25th and it still hasn't arrived...I find this strange that it would take this long to order a part from GM.

Has anyone experienced these similar issues with their Catera? I told my parents that $6000 is not worth reinvesting back into the car.

The car is now sitting in their garage. My parents are now contemplating having the car fixed with used parts. Any thoughts on this strategy?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: Need advice to relay back to parents...

Quote Originally Posted by radar2000 View Post
    My parents have a 2000 Catera and have run into some serious issues:

1) The electrical has pretty much gone in the car. Trunk won't even open.

2) The transmission is getting stuck in 1st and 2nd but once they get going, things seem to be OK.

The dealership had quoted my parents around $6000 to get things fixed. They mentioned that the electrical wiring has to be replaced and that the transmission would have to be replaced.

Here's the suspicious part...the dealership said that they would have to order the electrical part (wiring??) from the US. They said they placed the order back on August 25th and it still hasn't arrived...I find this strange that it would take this long to order a part from GM.

Has anyone experienced these similar issues with their Catera? I told my parents that $6000 is not worth reinvesting back into the car.

The car is now sitting in their garage. My parents are now contemplating having the car fixed with used parts. Any thoughts on this strategy?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers!
    Where are your parents located?

In case I have some thoughts or helpful ideas.

Cheers.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

1) Multifunction module, not wiring. If you can soldering it it's an easy fix. (trunk, sunroof, gas cap opener, radio, fog lights,...)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...light-fix.html

2) Neutral safety switch is my guess. Does the car have any lights pop up on the dash when it does this?

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1267956397

Sounds like their mechanic is trying to stiff them, start looking for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post
    Where are your parents located?

In case I have some thoughts or helpful ideas.

Cheers.
    Thanks for your reply.

They are located in Ontario, Canada.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AHazzardToAll View Post
    1) Multifunction module, not wiring. If you can soldering it it's an easy fix. (trunk, sunroof, gas cap opener, radio, fog lights,...)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...light-fix.html

2) Neutral safety switch is my guess. Does the car have any lights pop up on the dash when it does this?

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1267956397

Sounds like their mechanic is trying to stiff them, start looking for a new one.
    Hi AHazzardToAll.

Thanks for your reply.

I too think that the dealer is trying to take them to the cleaners. In all honesty, I think they're not interested in repairing their car and just threw them a high quote just to discourage them from getting it repaired.

I read a few threads where some users have mentioned the neutral safety switch. I'll ask them about the lights and will reply back.

Cheers!

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by radar2000 View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

They are located in Ontario, Canada.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Yes the reason I asked is that I live in Mississauga and if they are near by and you wish me to look up something or try to visit and perhaps see things first hand. I may be able to do so. I am currently not working so have a bit of time available. I am not a mechanic and not in it for money.

Cheers.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i would guess that whatever they have ordered is backorderd and not available currently
    but also other members guesses at fleecing may also be correct
    cateras are euro cars and many north american mechanics just don't know how to work on them
    gm doesn't offer any replacement parts for the internals of the transmissions (aftermarket transmission shops should be able to get those parts)
    but like others have said again it might be the neutral safety switch (which gm does sell)

try another dealer if you really want to make sure
    don't mention it was at another dealer to ensure they take a 'fresh' look at the car
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post
    Yes the reason I asked is that I live in Mississauga and if they are near by and you wish me to look up something or try to visit and perhaps see things first hand. I may be able to do so. I am currently not working so have a bit of time available. I am not a mechanic and not in it for money.

Cheers.
    Thanks USEDCAT, just sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    i would guess that whatever they have ordered is backorderd and not available currently
    but also other members guesses at fleecing may also be correct
    cateras are euro cars and many north american mechanics just don't know how to work on them
    gm doesn't offer any replacement parts for the internals of the transmissions (aftermarket transmission shops should be able to get those parts)
    but like others have said again it might be the neutral safety switch (which gm does sell)

try another dealer if you really want to make sure
    don't mention it was at another dealer to ensure they take a 'fresh' look at the car
    Thanks for your response Chris.

I can understand and appreciate your comment wrt the backorder possibility. I just wish that they were upfront with my parents and told them that to begin with. The parts manager made it sound like it was on route and it was due to shipping delays.

As for the fleecing, I agree. It's a shame that in todays age, there are still some dealerships that operate this way.

I'll keep everyone updated on my parents progress.

Cheers!

i'm not sure that's what's happening, just giving my gut feeling

and just to be fair, it's not just dealerships that stoop to the level of this type of practice - it happens at independent shops too
    and even at places that have good reputations (dealers or indy) there are bad days, people make mistakes, new guy shows his colors, etc

doing your own research and homework is important (like you're doing now)
    and knowledge is the best way to protect yourself against this type of practice
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    i'm not sure that's what's happening, just giving my gut feeling

and just to be fair, it's not just dealerships that stoop to the level of this type of practice - it happens at independent shops too
    and even at places that have good reputations (dealers or indy) there are bad days, people make mistakes, new guy shows his colors, etc

doing your own research and homework is important (like you're doing now)
    and knowledge is the best way to protect yourself against this type of practice
    Agreed...Sorry if it seemed I was ripping on dealers, as this was not my intent. I deal with various dealers or indy's that offer fair honest service.

Cheers!

it didn't seem like that to me, but you never know how other people reading this might take it

glad we're on the same page

Jea3cd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Catera

Well, I have a 2000 Catera as well. Sometimes my car will stay in 1st, or 2nd gear, and not shift till I put it in neutral, then back into drive. Then its all good. And it only does it once in a while. We were thinking a sticking valve body, since no codes or lights come on. However, sometimes, it will shift after holding the gear very long, and my "S" light comes on flashing, and the car stays in 4th grear then, till I turn the car off, and start over.

As far as your trunk, I would also agree that its the Multifunction module. I pulled mine out, and with the naked eye, I couldn't find anything. But using a magnifying glass, I was able to see the cracked solder joint. Easy fix. I went over every solder, and now everything works.

I worked for a Buick GMC Pontiac dealership, and they all went the other way when my Catera was on the lift. I've done all the work myself. New fuel pump, fixed the Multifunction module, replaced the ABS module, new brake light switch.

Thanks for your reply Jea3cd.

One of our forum members (USEDCAT) who lives close by to my parents, has generously offered to have a look at their car.

The neutral safety switch and the multifunction module will be some things that I suspect will be looked at.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm in no way classified as a car mechanic savvy guy I'm just trying to help my folks out so that they can make an educated decision on what they should do next.

Cheers!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.