Oil in my coolant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Oil in my coolant in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I own a 98 Catera, I recently noticed my engine oil has mixed my coolant. My mechanic said I have ...
    Elliot Roby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Oil in my coolant

I own a 98 Catera, I recently noticed my engine oil has mixed my coolant. My mechanic said I have a bad oil cooler. My question is will replacing the radiator fix this problem? Or is there another solution?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Oil in my coolant

It's got nothing to do with the radiator other than it getting clogged. The culprit is the oil cooler like the mechanic said. Replacing it is the only answer. Search here for more info.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

sometimes the cooler itself is not leaking but all the seals involved in that area down in the V between the two heads, as well as the coolant crossover seals (where the coolant temp sensor plugs in)

we only replace the cooler if it is actually leaking since it is pretty expensive

the same problem happens to all OPEL 3.0L v6 engines -- we've done a lot of these repairs to saturn l-series cars (more than on cateras actually)

the parts kit for the catera includes a new crossover with all the seals (only way from a gm dealer to get the seals for the crossover) but if you go to a saturn dealer they will have the seals as individual numbers

if you'd like i can pull up the parts list that we use on this job (for saturns) for you on monday - it should be exactly the same for a catera
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

i may have jumped the gun
    if you have oil in the coolant then maybe the cooler is the culprit
    either way email or PM me for price quotes if you'd like a deal on OEM parts
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    i may have jumped the gun
    if you have oil in the coolant then maybe the cooler is the culprit
    either way email or PM me for price quotes if you'd like a deal on OEM parts
    I'd like that very much if you can.

hittin' the hay for now, i'll get back to you in the AM

Haven't forgot about you, just a bit busy this morning... i'll get back soon

sorry this has taken so long - very busy day at work, the afternoon was just worse than the morning
    ... Mondays ...

but anyway here's what we do for parts on a 3.0L saturn (and catera) oil cooler area coolant leak
    [FYI: all prices are list]
    #11076852 $1.86 x4 (metal oil cooler banjo bolt seals) #55 in the 1st illustration
    #90409175 $1.83 x2 (rubber oil cooler seals) #51 in the 1st illustration
    #24455322 $4.04 x2 (new design t/stat housing bolts) #46 in the 2nd illustration
    #55353492 $64.92 (new design t/stat and housing w/ seal) #45 in the 2nd illustration
    #09129999 $6.68 x2 (t/stat to pipe seals - there's two right next to each other on that pipe - be careful removing it the bolt ear will sometimes break) #47 in the 2nd illustration
    #12992647 $9.50 x4 (coolant cross-over seals - these are the ones that are only for 00-05 L-series and 03-04 vues and 03-04 cts -- on the catera they want you to buy a new cross-over design that comes with the seals but you can just get these seals) #40 in the 2nd illustration

plus dexcool and an oil change and black RTV sealant around the cooler seal
    and on the newer vehicles that have the newer 'paper style' oil filter we do the filter housing-to-block seal/gasket
    (but your filter has a gasket that performs that function)

if you need a cooler (i'm not sure how to tell if it's leaking, but usually it's not)
    the list price is $397.62 (forum discount is $265 plus tax and half shipping)

so making sure that the cooler is not leaking and only leaking at the seals is going to be pretty important

edit: also an afterthought - sometimes we replace the banjo bolts but that's usually not needed
    and here's the pictures

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

You could also look into aftermarket, there is a recent thread I just replied to asking about it.

Pamela Delgado-Burt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Catera

I need help. I have a 99 Catera w/72,000 original miles.There is oil in the coolant. I am told I have blown gasket. One mechanic say replace the engineer. Another say $2500 to replace the gasket. What do I do?

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela Delgado-Burt View Post
    I need help. I have a 99 Catera w/72,000 original miles.There is oil in the coolant. I am told I have blown gasket. One mechanic say replace the engineer. Another say $2500 to replace the gasket. What do I do?
    I believe the initial indication should be "Oil Cooler" and it is not $2500 job. See also as per rippypartsmaster in the following,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2360399

If you have and continue to drive expect continuous and more major damage very quickly repair expenses will mount.

Take care.

Pamela Delgado-Burt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Catera

Thank you USEDCAT

sassanach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 59,60,73,2000sts,1999omega/catera

kin ell $400 or $265 is a lot off dosh, the kit is approx £120 in blighty ($1.5 to a £1

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.