1999 catera just dies while driving
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 1999 catera just dies while driving in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hasnt anyone else in the catera world had this problem? I find it real hard to believe,this car just died ...
    blanny431 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 catera

1999 catera just dies while driving

hasnt anyone else in the catera world had this problem? I find it real hard to believe,this car just died while I was driving it..and I went the next day and it started right up.............then the next day and it did the same thing..and started later in the day..for some reason the only light that comes on is the automatic tranny light....mechanic says that cant be it though!! someone has had to have this happen aft er reading all of the other nightmares that we have gone th rough as owners...I can tell you this...if I had known what I know now I damn sure would'nt have bought this piece of shit!!! its too bad to because this is a perfect car all the options and really clean...I just wont have a car that y ou cant rely on though..what the hell im selling this piece of shit the second I figure out what is wrong this time..... someone please let me know what you think this may be...I would really appreciate it alot...Kevin Blanchard

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: 1999 catera just dies while driving

Quote Originally Posted by blanny431 View Post
    hasnt anyone else in the catera world had this problem? I find it real hard to believe,this car just died while I was driving it..and I went the next day and it started right up.............then the next day and it did the same thing..and started later in the day..for some reason the only light that comes on is the automatic tranny light....mechanic says that cant be it though!! someone has had to have this happen aft er reading all of the other nightmares that we have gone th rough as owners...I can tell you this...if I had known what I know now I damn sure would'nt have bought this piece of shit!!! its too bad to because this is a perfect car all the options and really clean...I just wont have a car that y ou cant rely on though..what the hell im selling this piece of shit the second I figure out what is wrong this time..... someone please let me know what you think this may be...I would really appreciate it alot...Kevin Blanchard
    Crankshaft Position Sensor comes to mind. It may or may not solve the problem. It is about a $50 part with half hour or so of labor from a mechanic in the know. But cheapest option first such as this and the gas filter for $20 or so.

Unfortunately these cars are getting longer in the tooth (almost 11 years old) with bodies generally defying age. One wonders why does a car which has most of the features and looks OK does not just keep going. Unfortunately this was a heavy sensor and electronics controlled car and those don't last as long as the leather or the body panels.

We are all in similar boats with this.

Good luck though.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post

Unfortunately these cars are getting longer in the tooth (almost 11 years old) with bodies generally defying age. One wonders why does a car which has most of the features and looks OK does not just keep going. Unfortunately this was a heavy sensor and electronics controlled car and those don't last as long as the leather or the body panels.

We are all in similar boats with this.

Good luck though.

So very true. Our 1997 Catera will be 14 years old Nov 13. We bought it new. It still looks brand new on the outside and inside. Sure, 14 years of door dings, but the paint and leather interior is incredible. However, the list of nuisance problems is growing and I will be facing a big decision this Nov as I try to get it through the emissions inspection. It's a third car for us now, but I just can't part with it because of how it looks.

Barry.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Ditto on the CPS.

thanks for giving me a place to at least start..I appreciate it because before this I was totally in the dark!! A crankshaft positoin sensor..wow I didnt know that would just stop the car right while you were driving..and what happened to a car putting your check engine light on before leaving a guy stranded..I can tell you this..my car is in perfect condition I got it from an older lady and she took execellent care of it..but I dont care any car that leaves me stranded or walking...goes bye bye..Im going to off load this nightmare before it really ticks me off and I leave it on the side of the road with the keys in it and a signed title on the fron seat..Thanks fellas for the info though Kevin

thanks again y ou guys...

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

I would go with CPS as well, if not check your positive batt cable for internal corrosion.

waco-brian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 98 & 99

MINE IS DOING THIS CRAP NOW. changed fuelpump. i will start over, oil cooler popped again, got it changed out, now this crap
    changed pump and same thing. have not checked spark but no fuel pressure,will the series of shity luck neverend

ccatera10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

Man my catera 98 stopped on me as well today, but i do have a number of things wrong with this car. It is a money sucker and overall poor quality car. These cars go to car hell.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

the catera is a sad story, and you know what it comes down to?? A lack of education on the part of cadillac. These cars are so cheep and over in the uk, they are like a taurus!.... yet cadillac dealers had to option to traine their mechs on the catera or not, and most did not. so thus.. things that are so easy to fix are not looked at cause no one knows what to look for. Plus cadillac tries to charge 3times the price for a part cause it says cadillac.. IE mass air flow sensor... you know the l300 saturn has the exact same part and is about $80 where the catera one they ast $200 for it?? its really trying to rip off owners that are under educated.

They are a joy to drive. I have never driven a more fun car!! the bose sounds great! the elagance is outstanding, the body so unique and understated.. just a great drivers car, not a great poor mans car in the us thou!

Quote Originally Posted by hgqguy View Post
    the catera is a sad story, and you know what it comes down to?? A lack of education on the part of cadillac. These cars are so cheep and over in the uk, they are like a taurus!.... yet cadillac dealers had to option to traine their mechs on the catera or not, and most did not. so thus.. things that are so easy to fix are not looked at cause no one knows what to look for. Plus cadillac tries to charge 3times the price for a part cause it says cadillac.. IE mass air flow sensor... you know the l300 saturn has the exact same part and is about $80 where the catera one they ast $200 for it?? its really trying to rip off owners that are under educated.

They are a joy to drive. I have never driven a more fun car!! the bose sounds great! the elagance is outstanding, the body so unique and understated.. just a great drivers car, not a great poor mans car in the us thou!
    You got it so right. Plus people are forgetting these are 9 to 13 year old cars with looks better than some new c*ap.

It reminds me from a guy's perspective,

1. You hear a lady's voice on the phone and you have a vision. You meet and you go what and your visions are shattered.
    2. You see a beautiful lady and you have visions. You converse and your visions are shattered.
    Catera is a mix breed of these two and generally very good but at times tests your patience.

waco-brian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 98 & 99

Quote Originally Posted by waco-brian View Post
    MINE IS DOING THIS CRAP NOW. changed fuelpump. i will start over, oil cooler popped again, got it changed out, now this crap
    changed pump and same thing. have not checked spark but no fuel pressure,will the series of shity luck neverend
    ok had sence to run code reader while it was on it's 45 min. at a time running, got a code for crank shaft sensor. replaced and things are going great..

It appears 99 out of 100 it is the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS). Good to hear your frustration ended. Cheers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.