Grr after i thought things were going good with this car.. Need help with these codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Grr after i thought things were going good with this car.. Need help with these codes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I recently have been noticing a rough idle and loss of power in acceleration, car stumbling ect on my 98 ...
    ccatera10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

Question Grr after i thought things were going good with this car.. Need help with these codes

I recently have been noticing a rough idle and loss of power in acceleration, car stumbling ect on my 98 caddy.

The codes that are coming up are

p0300(random misfire)

p0302 misfire(cylinder 2)

p0304 (cylinder 4)

p0306 (cylinder 6)

Anyone that has had these codes come up on their caddy know exactly what is was? I changed my spark plugs about 3 months ago (NGK type), and when I changed my spark plugs, I also put in new valve cover gaskets as well due to an old leak; but that is not an issue anymore. What concerned me was a slight tear in the middle boot of the spark plug, at the very bottom of it ( the one on the right hand side of the valve cover).

Could this have been enough to cause a misfire? I took the boot out and a tiny bit of oil was around it from the leak before, but I cleaned most of it out when replacing the bad gaskets. I also had a bad oil leak before that traveled down to the catalytic converter, could this have damaged my o2 sensors creating a misfire?

Any other info/tips regarding these codes would be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Grr after i thought things were going good with this car.. Need help with these c

Another thing to add, I cleaned the air flow sensor not too long ago, as well as the openeings to the throttle body about two weeks ago so I am not sure if the misfire has anything to do with the intake system, but I could be wrong. I also checked all my vacuume lines and they all appear to be connected correctly.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: Grr after i thought things were going good with this car.. Need help with these c

Quote Originally Posted by ccatera10 View Post
    Another thing to add, I cleaned the air flow sensor not too long ago, as well as the openeings to the throttle body about two weeks ago so I am not sure if the misfire has anything to do with the intake system, but I could be wrong. I also checked all my vacuume lines and they all appear to be connected correctly.
    ccatera10 it appears all your codes are coming from the left or driver side bank (cylinders 2, 4 and 6) of cylinders.

The search should be on any elements common to the left bank. I know I had similar issue in my 2001 Catera but in the right hand bank (cylinders 1, 3 and 5). In my case in heavy rain wet weather I got problems like yours. There was a tear in the scuttle right above the coil pack and water used to drip/pour during heavy rain and spalshes. I re-installed the coil pack and used GM dielectric grease all around the modules and sealed as well as the electrical connectors. I never had the problem again. I was told about it by a GM service advisor.

It is an area worth checking and sealing properly as well as Mcgiver fix any tears in the scuttle. Beyond that I cannot think of much right now.

Good luck.

There was a tear in the scuttle right above the coil pack and water used to drip/pour during heavy rain and spalshes.
    Thanks for the good advice, I am a bit confused with the term scuttle? what is this and where is it exactly. Also where exactly are the coil packs located on a 98 catera?

Thanks for the good advice, I am a bit confused with the term scuttle? what is this and where is it exactly. Also where exactly are the coil packs located on a 98 catera?
    See the following,

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1263473441

Scuttle is British terminology from what I gather. It is a part hinged under the windshiel rubber all along the windshield above and hanging with a rubber piping wal towards the engine.

The smaller portion comes out easy for cabin filter changes but the longer one is more cumbersome.

Other info in the site guides how to remove the scuttle.

Good luck.

To the previous poster, I think this has little to do with my engine misfire.

Anyone else had misfire issues with their catera?

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

To the previous poster, I think this has little to do with my engine misfire.

Anyone else had misfire issues with their catera?

If you have water build up due to the clogged scuttle drains then the path of least resistance (where the water will end up) is right over your coil, in turn dripping on and shorting them. I had this same issue on a customer's 2001 mercedes s600, the water would collect and drip on the coil pack. (it's a coil on plug style more like the 99up cateras) The water would then short the elements and that became a BIG bill. Mercedes quoted something like 5k just for a right bank coil replacement. Cost me nearly 1k just for the coil. I guess what I'm really getting at is yes, blocked water can cause a coild to go bad and in turn cause a miss.

Ah, didn't check out the link, that's just a heater core flush. I could check your drains though. I live in a wooded area so I clean mine every season (4x's a year). One is visible when you pop the hood on the driver's side, the other is down below the cabin filter.

I showed the link to just clarify what the British cal scuttle. The grill and supported plastic surround under the wipers area. HTH.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post
    I showed the link to just clarify what the British cal scuttle. The grill and supported plastic surround under the wipers area. HTH.

Cheers.
    Oh, see. I should have read further back. My elementary teachers did always get onto me for not reading the instructions...

Quote Originally Posted by AHazzardToAll View Post
    Oh, see. I should have read further back. My elementary teachers did always get onto me for not reading the instructions...
    No problem my friend. We are only trying to help each other.

Question Re: Grr after i thought things were going good with this car.. Need help with these c

I found some oil around my spark slugs, but their is no valve cover leaks. is this normal? how can i fix this problem?

PrimeTimeElite is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 1999

I believe, scuttle = cowl ? FYI

frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

ccatera10 .... if your are getting oil inside the oil well causing the spark plug boot as well as the top of the spark plugs to be soaked in oil then you definately have a bad valve cover. Mine had that issue which means the valve cover where leaking on the inside part which ends up inside your spark plug wells.

That is most likley the problem. The thing is i changed the valve covers about 2 times since i had the car all done right and i guess oil is prone to get into this area, as far as my catera goes. i guess it may be those little ring gaskets that are loose, because no sign of spilling is present outside of the valve covers.Anyway i am too tired of spending money and time on this car so i guess i am just sending it to car hell aka the junk yard after the ordeal it gave me today.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.