stuck at a horrible decision
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, stuck at a horrible decision in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; well last week as i was driving when i had some problems. what appears to have happend is something got ...
    MaesMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

stuck at a horrible decision

well last week as i was driving when i had some problems. what appears to have happend is something got stuck on a tensior pulley locking it in place, and shredded the serpentine belt. insurance is saying there's nothing they can do. but so far the damage in the pully, serpentine belt, alternator and a ticking coming from the side of an engine, im sitting at $1600 in repairs. for the ticking its around $300 for them to look into the valve cover and about another $500 for them to pull the head if they can't find it from the valve cover. only had the car for about 2 years, and still owe $5,000 on it. bought the car for $8,000 but pulled out a little extra to replace the known failures on the car so it would last me a while

is this something i should keep paying into to get looked at? or should i just try to sell the car for parts/total it through insurance? the price of the car doesn't quite seem like its worth doing either, but i still owe =( any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: stuck at a horrible decision

Quote Originally Posted by MaesMV6 View Post
    well last week as i was driving when i had some problems. what appears to have happend is something got stuck on a tensior pulley locking it in place, and shredded the serpentine belt. insurance is saying there's nothing they can do. but so far the damage in the pully, serpentine belt, alternator and a ticking coming from the side of an engine, im sitting at $1600 in repairs. for the ticking its around $300 for them to look into the valve cover and about another $500 for them to pull the head if they can't find it from the valve cover. only had the car for about 2 years, and still owe $5,000 on it. bought the car for $8,000 but pulled out a little extra to replace the known failures on the car so it would last me a while

is this something i should keep paying into to get looked at? or should i just try to sell the car for parts/total it through insurance? the price of the car doesn't quite seem like its worth doing either, but i still owe =( any suggestions?

Sorry to hear.

Are you able to try DYI a few things like get the pulley changed and the serpentine.

What was the damage to the Timing cover or the alternator? Is it physically obvious or a garage determined it after replacing the pulley and serpentine belt?

Dealer or garages would definitely do more than may be necessary. Just some thoughts.

Regards.

well the alternator is sparking when the car starts, the cadi alternator is like 1250, which i've talked to them about just pulling the car out of the shop and letting me replace the alternator outside. as far as the pulley/belt is concerned the water pump is being replaced which requires the timing belt being pulled off, which they will have to put back on and is about $900 alone and since they have to pull the serp belt off and timing cover im just letting them replace the belt/pulley

well the alternator is sparking when the car starts, the cadi alternator is like 1250, which i've talked to them about just pulling the car out of the shop and letting me replace the alternator outside. as far as the pulley/belt is concerned the water pump is being replaced which requires the timing belt being pulled off, which they will have to put back on and is about $900 alone and since they have to pull the serp belt off and timing cover im just letting them replace the belt/pulley
    The whole job is about $400-$500 in parts with Alternator being re-manufactured. I realize as I have been stuck with garages/dealers and one cannot do much about DIY once you are there. Hopefully none of the engine internals were impacted (valves, etc.) or this will become much worse.

Hope things do work out.

Jea3cd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Catera

Tell them that you want a remanufactured alt. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php Only $221, subtract $40 with the return of a core. Now your ticking noise shouldn't be internal in the valve cover, unless you had an issue before the belt. Now the noise could be coming from the timing belt cover, if it cracked and is rubbing on the belt or gears? But a serpentine belt, in 99% of the cases I've seen, never cause an internal problem on the engine.

I'd fix the car. I have more problems with my car, like a lifter issue on the right head, valve covers leaking, a transmission that acts up by not shifting into 3rd once in a while, and my A/C not holding a charge. But I love the car for some reason, and won't give up on it.

If you do end up selling or parting it out, let me know. I love the front bumper, the rear spoiler. ;-)

Sorry, the rockauto link didn't go right to the right link.

2000 CADILLAC CATERA 3.0L 181cid V6 FI (R) DOHC : Electrical : Alternator / Generator Price Core Total
    ACDELCO Part # 3341289A
    {#88864361}
    GENERATOR,(REMAN) WITH NEW REGULATOR; 4 DOORS; BOSCH IF; 120 AMPS

$178.79 $43.00 $221.79
    Add to Cart
    REMY Part # 13378
    Reman
    120 Amps

$161.99 $90.00 $251.99
    Add to Cart
    DENSO Part # 2106124
    Reman

* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
    $212.79 $34.00 $246.79
    Add to Cart
    BOSCH Part # AL8500X
    Remanufactured; May Not Include Pulley

* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 4 business days
    $243.79 $123.00 $366.79
    Add to Cart
    ACDELCO Part # 3341289
    {#19134282, 3211884, 89037258} 120 AMP
    GENERATOR,(REMAN) 4 DOORS; BOSCH IF; 120 AMPS

* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 5 business days
    $237.79 $47.30 $285.09
    Add to Cart

rshaase is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

I had the exact thing happen to me on my 2001 sport. The dealer replaced the pulley & belt for $ 210.00. When I picked it up it had a ticking sound in the front of the engine but the engine ran fine. After I drove it about 100 miles it still had the ticking. I took it to an independent who was experience in the saab engines and it puzzuled him. He replaced the timing belt and the ticking sound was fixed. He charged $ 410.00 Has run great for the last 20k miles.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Bite the bullet and get rid of it. Fix that and something else will go wrong.

OBTW the bearings in the pulley went. Same thing happened to me but less than a half a mile from home and the car overheated.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

You only need the serp tensioner pulley and the serp belt, and alternator. All very easy DIY's. If it won't run right after that then sell it, but you're probably only looking to get 1-1.5k for a cat with a bad motor. To me it's worth fixing, why sell it for 3-4k under what you owe on it when it may only be 500 or less to get it back on the road. Any mechanic who doesn't want to or doesn't know how to work on the car will tell you to sell it, anyone who's owned one (99+) and is decently mechanically inclined will encourage you to keep it. You're not gonna find another car as nice for the money. Stick around here if you have any issues and we have several good guys who will be willing to try and help you out as best as we can.

yea im thinking about keeping it and trying a few things, right before this happened i was getting quotes to replace the timing belt and the tensior pulleys, guess i wasn't quick enough. is there a way i can pull off the timing belt cover and let it run to see if its the timing belt hitting anything?

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Was it having issues before this? I don't ever see any major issues after a car is run without a serp belt for long. Happened on my sis's car. I bought my car with the same issue you're having right now. Someone told the guy he needed his timing belt replaced so he sold it to me, not knowing all he needed was a tensioner pulley and a belt, made me one happy chump though. It really is a beautifully done car though,... I remember them selling on ebay. =D

yea im thinking about keeping it and trying a few things, right before this happened i was getting quotes to replace the timing belt and the tensior pulleys, guess i wasn't quick enough. is there a way i can pull off the timing belt cover and let it run to see if its the timing belt hitting anything?
    MaesMV6 perhaps people can more specifically suggest if you can answer some of the following lead questions other than that all hell was breaking loose under the hood before you came to a stop,

1. Were there any fluid leaks at the site or afterwards under the car?
    2. You are saying car turns, are there any metallic sounds other than the alternator sparking?
    3. Is there any liquid coolant, oil leaks around the Cam covers and the heads?
    If the answer is no to all 3 then it will be reasonable to assume till you get timing cover off that your engine survived.

Once the timing cover is off, you will know the exact state of the engine if the timing belt did not get damaged, did not jump any teeth and the timing marks line up. If these work your way and if I were you I will do the following,

1. Change water pump and these are around $50+ part and held by 3 bolts and easy to change once the timing cover is off.
    2. Change the timing belt with a kit from Rockauto, etc., the one that is appropriate for your car and has the timing belt Tensioner pulley and upper idler assembly in it.
    3. Replace the Alternator with aftermarket and there are good rebuilt ones on eBay as well.
    4. Once it is all set up and I assume that you have the auxiliary belt and tensioner already replaced and if not replace these.
    5. You will lose about 6L of coolant when you replace the water pump, might as well flush the cooling system and fill up with Dexcool/Distilled water 50/50. Depending on how you flush, there is 6L of last flushed mixture in the system if you flush from the bottom of the radiator so do a quick calculation to make it 50/50 when fully charged up.
    Hope the above gives you some ideas and will be along to help if you do the job yourself.

Cheers and you definitely have visually one of the better looking Cateras around.

well for your 3 questions, answer to all is no. im picking the car up tomarrow from the place it had it towed to. they replaced the water pump because it was leaking which i already knew and was looking at getting replaced, since they did they flushed the coolant system also. for the problem it went into there for they replaced the pulley, belt, and alternator. they say the car runs great but they hear a ticking they think its coming from the passenger side valve cover. there is 118k miles so the timing belt DOES need to be replaced and im going to get the tensiors replaced with the timing belt. once i get the car home i'll be able to look at it myself so i'll find out more tomarrow about this noise and let you know what i find

sharky8413 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

I've replaced my water pump twice without having to remove the timing belt or even the black plastic shield that conceals it. It took me probably a whopping extra 10 minutes to remove and install the 3rd bolt, i'm not sure why they would have to remove it. Your catera looks nice too, hope it's something you can take care of.

well for your 3 questions, answer to all is no. im picking the car up tomarrow from the place it had it towed to. they replaced the water pump because it was leaking which i already knew and was looking at getting replaced, since they did they flushed the coolant system also. for the problem it went into there for they replaced the pulley, belt, and alternator. they say the car runs great but they hear a ticking they think its coming from the passenger side valve cover. there is 118k miles so the timing belt DOES need to be replaced and im going to get the tensiors replaced with the timing belt. once i get the car home i'll be able to look at it myself so i'll find out more tomarrow about this noise and let you know what i find
    MaesMV6 that is actually all good news.

If you get the timing belt changed the ticking will go away. It is usually related to Followers sticking and perhaps on your next oil change add a Lifter treatment like Rislone. It is of not great significance and is annoyance for sure but it you get no codes, no leaks, etc., it is a great situation.

Timing belt you should get changed and perhaps would have been wise to do so if they removed the timing cover to install the water pump.

Regards.

well my biggest issue is the car is 200 miles away right now (where it broke down) working a full time job i don't have time or the tools to go work on it to get it in running condition for me to do my own work. they wanted $1300 to replace the timing belt/pulleys and this is why i said no.

i actually went up there this morning and this "ticking" noise my car has is a knocking coming from what sounds like is the valve cover. it almost sounds like a rod, but i know sound travels in an engine. also there is a misfiring code on my car they are saying could easily be from whats causing the noise because its all coming from the one side of my car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.