stuck at a horrible decision - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, stuck at a horrible decision in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by MaesMV6 well my biggest issue is the car is 200 miles away right now (where it broke ...
    USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: stuck at a horrible decision

Quote Originally Posted by MaesMV6 View Post
    well my biggest issue is the car is 200 miles away right now (where it broke down) working a full time job i don't have time or the tools to go work on it to get it in running condition for me to do my own work. they wanted $1300 to replace the timing belt/pulleys and this is why i said no.

i actually went up there this morning and this "ticking" noise my car has is a knocking coming from what sounds like is the valve cover. it almost sounds like a rod, but i know sound travels in an engine. also there is a misfiring code on my car they are saying could easily be from whats causing the noise because its all coming from the one side of my car.
    Sorry I may be confused. Did they replace the water pump without removing the timing cover?

If they removed the timing cover the least that should have been done to check if the timing belt has jumped or still close to true timing for all cams in reference to the crankshaft and cylinder1 TDS? If this was proven good there is little chance of internal engine damage.

Cheers.

MaesMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

sorry its taken my a minute to reply. yes they did replace the water pump without removing the timing cover. i know this because they told me they didn't have a tool required to remove the timing cover and they are trying to get one. they did remove the valve cover and turned over the car a few times and saw nothing in there. they also ran a compression check and all compression was good. now im just waiting for them to get some tool to pull off the timing cover

sorry its taken my a minute to reply. yes they did replace the water pump without removing the timing cover. i know this because they told me they didn't have a tool required to remove the timing cover and they are trying to get one. they did remove the valve cover and turned over the car a few times and saw nothing in there. they also ran a compression check and all compression was good. now im just waiting for them to get some tool to pull off the timing cover
    It is little hard to understand what tool to "tool required to remove the timing cover". It is held by 5 screws from what I remember.

Maybe the confusion is about the timing tool which is needed to replace the timing belt and set the timing properly.

I am sure you are keeping on top but if they truly said "tool required to remove the timing cover", I would look for another place very quickly.

Cheers.

well i work nights and sleep during the day so the phone call came in the middle of my night so maybe i misunderstood them. i do know they were needing something that they were checking other dealerships to see if they had one

Jea3cd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Catera

Have you had any luck in the last few days? If I remembered correctly, no special tools needed for the cover. I printed out all the info from GM's database before I left the dealership, pertaining to the timing belt. Now the timing belt is another story. That does need a special tool to remove it. I bought one from Matco tools, before leaving the dealership myself.

I'm just waiting to see what I'm going to do with the car, before tearing into the engine atm.

i got another call today saying that they got the tool for the timing belt, but they were waiting to tear into it until they got the tool so they didn't have the car in parts all over the place. hopefully i hear something tomarrow

i got another call today saying that they got the tool for the timing belt, but they were waiting to tear into it until they got the tool so they didn't have the car in parts all over the place. hopefully i hear something tomarrow
    It appears they are doing this service to this car first time. Keep on top of it would be the only suggestion.

Good luck

so the timing was good. and they gave me these options. they can pull a head and look and if they find it, they say they need to pull the other head and get it checked by their machine shop. and if they can't find it on the head they have to pull the engine and go in from the botton to see if they can see it from there. OR they can put in a used engine for $4g with 54k miles on it... thoughts?

so the timing was good. and they gave me these options. they can pull a head and look and if they find it, they say they need to pull the other head and get it checked by their machine shop. and if they can't find it on the head they have to pull the engine and go in from the botton to see if they can see it from there. OR they can put in a used engine for $4g with 54k miles on it... thoughts?
    I will say bring it home and then take the time.

There may be something external, e.g. a pulley or something.

Ticking sound is also known to come from Exhaust Gasket from my reading at the OOF. If it is not safety or damaging to the Engine or body while driving, I suggest bring it home and then take your time.

Cheers !

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post
    I will say bring it home and then take the time.

There may be something external, e.g. a pulley or something.

Ticking sound is also known to come from Exhaust Gasket from my reading at the OOF. If it is not safety or damaging to the Engine or body while driving, I suggest bring it home and then take your time.

Cheers !
    Agreed.

Kwaku Anim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I almost had the same problem with my 2000 catera whi I have owned for a month. Luckily I caught it in time and replaced the tensioner pulley ($16 Autozone). The old tensioner in mine looked exactly like urs, melted and deformed.

I have since had other issues (starter blew out, and the electric circuit)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.