SAME caddy catera from kevin earlier
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, SAME caddy catera from kevin earlier in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hey I wrote earlier about my 1999 just dying on me..and then starting up later..well it broke dowm again at ...
    blanny431 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 catera

SAME caddy catera from kevin earlier

hey I wrote earlier about my 1999 just dying on me..and then starting up later..well it broke dowm again at 11:30 this morning the mechanic is cool and only a couple of blocks away but he couldnt come till 1:30 and since it was so close to my house that it stalled I kept going out there every 20 minutes to see if it would start back up( and I dont think its a gig where the car is warmed up or hot cause I just went to the store) so anyway it wouldnt start back up so at 1:30 the mech. came over with the portable computer gun thing and guess what before he even got started he hit the key and it started for him..and the crazy t hing is that when it wouldnt start the automatic transmission light is the only one that would stay on..and the mech says of course that the auto tranny couldnt have anything to do with it just stalling out while I was driving.so what a hassle I cant go anywhere without worrying about when it is going to die next or how far I could be from home...this has to have happened to someone else..please try and get back with me so at least I can know where to start...thanks alot Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

monalisallen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Re: SAME caddy catera from kevin earlier

My 2000 Catera has been doing the same thing for 3 weeks. Replaced the SMOG Pump (original one had a crack in it) Car still goes dead while driving. Replaced the Multifunction Relay ($90.00 includes $30 overnight shipping) Car still goes dead. Replaced the fuel cap. Now I'm looking into replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I have read these forums until my head is spinning. I think this forum is excellent. I'm a girl that never works on cars, I am determined to fix my car and with the help of the forum I'm going to get it done! The light that comes on when it goes dead is Fuel Cap and sometimes the Check Engine will. It suddenly goes dead with no warning. The lights, radio all that stays on. The scariest is that the brakes are hard to use once it goes dead while I'm driving 65 mph. I noticed a slight sluggish feeling and the RPM drops to 0, but immediately jumps back up. It eventually goes dead and I have to wait a few hours to drive it again for only a couple of miles if that far.

JRomano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera

A new crank position sensor couldn't hurt and they are cheap enough. Its also a part known to fail, usually these symptoms, and easy to replace.
    Last I checked they were like 30-35 bux and its one hold down bolt, its located right under the oil filter housing on the drivers side of the engine.
    Follow the cable for it up to the back of the engine for the plug connection.

It could also be a failing in-tank fuel pump.

pedrazamarcos is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Vary Good Romano,I vote for your advice.You always trying to help,just hope people take advice from the ones who been there ,done that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRomano View Post
    A new crank position sensor couldn't hurt and they are cheap enough. Its also a part known to fail, usually these symptoms, and easy to replace.
    Last I checked they were like 30-35 bux and its one hold down bolt, its located right under the oil filter housing on the drivers side of the engine.
    Follow the cable for it up to the back of the engine for the plug connection.

It could also be a failing in-tank fuel pump.

By the Way, I carry one of these (CKT sensor)and a heater control valve (HCV)in the trunk of my Cat.I have also Inspected the timming belt Twice in 1 yr but is still new,no pulleys noise either.

Cateras are very easy to work on it,just put attention to common know issues.Timming belt,Oil cooler,heater control valve,control arm bushings,crank position sensor,multifuntion relay(this is the most easy fix)remove relay and look with magnifier glass and re-solder relay contacts,15 minutes and no parts.LOL

Very,but very good attitude.catera is very easy to work on mechanically.Check Engine light loves to bright and Air Bag almost impossible to clear(except if you have a Tech 2) But i know if someone puts effort and little time is easy to fix.

My 2000 Catera has been doing the same thing for 3 weeks. Replaced the SMOG Pump (original one had a crack in it) Car still goes dead while driving. Replaced the Multifunction Relay ($90.00 includes $30 overnight shipping) Car still goes dead. Replaced the fuel cap. Now I'm looking into replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I have read these forums until my head is spinning. I think this forum is excellent. I'm a girl that never works on cars, I am determined to fix my car and with the help of the forum I'm going to get it done! The light that comes on when it goes dead is Fuel Cap and sometimes the Check Engine will. It suddenly goes dead with no warning. The lights, radio all that stays on. The scariest is that the brakes are hard to use once it goes dead while I'm driving 65 mph. I noticed a slight sluggish feeling and the RPM drops to 0, but immediately jumps back up. It eventually goes dead and I have to wait a few hours to drive it again for only a couple of miles if that far.[/QUOTE]

blanny431 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 catera

hey when your catera just dies on you..its the crankshaft position sensor!!! now does anyone know who has a middle tail light assembly??that light that goes across the trunk lid??the right half side of mine is out and the caddy place said I have to replace the whole thing!!!they quoted 765.00$ for a new one..but I know someone is parting one of these rigs out and Im not too sure but I think the 1998 will be t he same!! Oh by the way mine is a 1999 catera with that 3.0 6 cyl. not the sport model...if someone has or knows someone else with one of these tail lights please let me know thnks.....Kevin

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by blanny431 View Post
    hey when your catera just dies on you..its the crankshaft position sensor!!! now does anyone know who has a middle tail light assembly??that light that goes across the trunk lid??the right half side of mine is out and the caddy place said I have to replace the whole thing!!!they quoted 765.00$ for a new one..but I know someone is parting one of these rigs out and Im not too sure but I think the 1998 will be t he same!! Oh by the way mine is a 1999 catera with that 3.0 6 cyl. not the sport model...if someone has or knows someone else with one of these tail lights please let me know thnks.....Kevin
    May be one in the following search will work,

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Good luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.