1997 Catera Airconditioning only works at night
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 1997 Catera Airconditioning only works at night in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This has me stumped. I took it to get checked out at an A/C place and they said all the ...
    randomprey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

1997 Catera Airconditioning only works at night

This has me stumped. I took it to get checked out at an A/C place and they said all the levels are fine and that it was an electrical issue. It blows ice cold at night but during the day nothing. Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: 1997 Catera Airconditioning only works at night

Quote Originally Posted by randomprey View Post
    This has me stumped. I took it to get checked out at an A/C place and they said all the levels are fine and that it was an electrical issue. It blows ice cold at night but during the day nothing. Ideas?
    Is your daylight sensor working? It is a small dome type button located in the middle of the dash where the dash meets the front windshield.

Cover it with dark cardboard and see if the DRL change to full running light.

Cheers.

The lights come on by automatically at night if that is what you are asking?

The lights come on by automatically at night if that is what you are asking?
    Yes if that is true then it perhaps is OK. The control switchover is through Twilight sentinel set to Auto but does get control signals via Daylight sensor too.

I don't have much energy to help in detail but if I have time to dig I will post if I can help further. It appears to be from the symptoms a Relay interlock or mal-function related to daylight sensing if your description of the symptoms is accurate.

Regards.

Just for grins and giggles I covered up the sensor with some black tape and now my A/C runs great all the time. Does this confirm your diagnosis? If so do you happen to have a part number and where the faulty part is located?

Just for grins and giggles I covered up the sensor with some black tape and now my A/C runs great all the time. Does this confirm your diagnosis? If so do you happen to have a part number and where the faulty part is located?
    Check the color and then appropriate part number,

90436633 SENSOR,HDLP AUTO CONT AMB LGT(GRAY)
    90437971 SENSOR,HDLP AUTO CONT AMB LGT(BEIGE)
    90437972 SENSOR,HDLP AUTO CONT AMB LGT(BLACK)

They range in price from $50 to $80.

I think you should also look at the associated relays.

Just paint the sensor black and you should be good to go except that you will have full driving lights on whether it is day or night.

Cheers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.