Steering feels stiff when cold, I feel a click when turning left..help?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Steering feels stiff when cold, I feel a click when turning left..help? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, So im trying to track down a problem, In the morning or when the car is still cold, I ...
    BossLady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L 5 spd Manual-Black Beauty

Steering feels stiff when cold, I feel a click when turning left..help?

Hello, So im trying to track down a problem, In the morning or when the car is still cold, I go to turn out of my driveway and I feel the steering turns stiffly then loosens up after full turn. It seems to do it more when i turn left, Once the car is warm it seems to turn fine, sometimes I do hear a small squeek when turning.

Dunno if its a pump or what but i wanna fix it.
    Also I dont know if this has to do with the problem or something else but when driving 35-40mph The steering wheel shakes slightly but if i slow down ot speed up it stops.

Help, please and Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: Steering feels stiff when cold, I feel a click when turning left..help?

I assume you checked the power steering fluid - the dipstick is under the star shaped cap between the battery and the brake master cylinder. When I was last at Jiffy Lube, they were trying to sell me a power steering fluid change. I never heard of that and passed on it, but it may be worth looking into.

Since you hear a squeak, it could also be a slipping accessory belt that is worse in the morning before the car warms up. That happens mostly in cold weather when the accessory belt is stiff and cold.

Barry.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Keep in mind the p/s fluid uses dexIII or dex/merc instead of "power steering fluid", wouldn't trust the boys at jiffy lube to know that on their own.

yes but I dont see how this would effect a a stiff turning, it seems to b e getting worse, like harder to turn the wheel, the fluid looks fine and is full, the sqeek is not from the belt I can more feel/hear it like in the steering colulm itself persay.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
    yes but I dont see how this would effect a a stiff turning, it seems to b e getting worse, like harder to turn the wheel, the fluid looks fine and is full, the sqeek is not from the belt I can more feel/hear it like in the steering colulm itself persay.
    Have you done the 12 - 6 O'clock and 9 - 3 O'clock checks on the front wheels to see where the play is coming from.

Perhaps also worthwhile checking both of the lower control arms bushings for looseness and the ball joints with damaged boots.

Cheers.

so how do I do this check with the turning? just see if I have any play? I iwll have to jack it up and check the arms + bushing boots, I will check.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
    so how do I do this check with the turning? just see if I have any play? I iwll have to jack it up and check the arms + bushing boots, I will check.
    One is looking for sideways play for 3-9 O'clock check as you grab the wheel at 3-9 O'clock position and try to horizontally twist it in and out. It is best done if someone can twist and you can watch the inner and outer tie rods, idler arm, for excessive play or lack of tightness for steering purposes. Say you jack only one side and do this there should be virtually no movement or play.

The 12-6 O'clock test is similarly done but you are looking for the ball joint, bearings, and control arms.

The control arms you can further check with a crowbar for any looseness in the bushings against any lever points in the body frame. The ball joint you should check its rubber boot on the top and if it is badly damaged from what I have read you will need to replace the ball joint.

I have done the tests but I have fortunately no issues in my car yet.

Cheers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.