1998 catera is idling rough: scan/MAF & upstream O2 sensor: help to locate
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 1998 catera is idling rough: scan/MAF & upstream O2 sensor: help to locate in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Please help me locate the MAF sensor and the upstream O2 sensor. Basically, the car, when cold will run fine, ...
    1sontov is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 catera

Talking 1998 catera is idling rough: scan/MAF & upstream O2 sensor: help to locate

Please help me locate the MAF sensor and the upstream O2 sensor.

Basically, the car, when cold will run fine, but them once its warmed up, the engine will not hold a steady idle; it will dip well below 500rpm and die.

Just had a scan-check done this evening-- I didnt get the codes but the guy sais: MAF sensor and the upstream O2 sensor.

He said: MAF has to be removed and brought back in-- the cost of the part is $287!~ + $70 is I dont bring in the old... are these MAF senors reconditionable?

Either way, I still need to know where they are located- to see if I may replace them myself and then.. IM SELLING THIS CAR ASAP! (WI, USA)

Many thanks for you assistance~ in advance.
    Sontov

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: 1998 catera is idling rough: scan/MAF & upstream O2 sensor: help to locate

You may want to check with eBay UK and people are pretty reliable. It is sometimes called Air Flow Meter by the UK folks as well as MAF. The following is example search,

http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_...LH_TitleDesc=1
    About $51 plus shipping

Your part numbers are interchangeable as 90510156 or 90541591 for GM or Vauxhall in UK.

The MAF is located just below the joining of Air Filter to the Engine air flow direction. Two jubilee clips hold it secure in the air flow pipe.

If you buy from above sources there is no expectation of a core charge or ($70) stated in your post.

I am not familiar totally with the O2 sensors but may be someone else can advise. There are 4 O2 sensors and two of each as follows,

90540984 SENSOR,OXY (POSN 2)(FRT OF CONV) 02
    90540985 SENSOR,OXY(POSN 3)(RR OF CONVERTER) 02

I assume when one says upstream, this will be before the catalytic converter towards the engine and Part Number 90540984. Did the mechanic say 1 or both of these were bad?

eBay listing as follows,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oxyge...Q5fAccessories
    $64 plus shipping

Good luck.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Upstream o2 sensor is just like it says. It's Pre-catalytic converter. Bank 1 is passenger side, bank 2 is driver's. MAF sensor is right after your air box fitted right under the 90* elbow out of the air box. Very easy fix. Check advance for the part, much cheaper.

Many thanks to you USEDCAT. I really still like my 98catera...
    I just returned from being under the hood-- I did locate the MAF: I cleaned the relatively new air filter first and then took off the air cover; once I could look into the MAF part, found a couple very small dried leaves resting on the weaved upper intake-- its too dark to do any more work being 9pm-- so I'll revisit this issue.

Oddly enough, the car would run fine... then the Engine Check Light (ECL) would come on and it would run/idle rough. Then, I'd run it at freeway speed-- run it for a few days and the ECL would go OFF.
    (I dont drive this car very much at all either). Then a week or so later-- it comes on again. So hopefully it was just debris glitching the MAF sensor whereas Im sure I'll have to replace the O2--

I'll start with the 02 for it cost less.
    As for the: "upstream (O2 sensor), this will be before the catalytic converter towards the engine and Part Number 90540984." ~ That's a big help! The Mech said just the upstream sensor was faulty-- which makes sense because I believe I replaced the downstream a couple years ago (comes after the cat. converter-- right?).

I'll revisit this posting this weekend~
    Peace be with you.
    Sontov

ty AHazzardToAll.
    Advanced is where I had the scan done-- they want $287 (+ $70 if I dont bring in the MAF for return/exchange-- cause he said something about 'core charge'-- whats this 'core charge' about ??

ty Sontov

Quote Originally Posted by 1sontov View Post
    ty AHazzardToAll.
    Advanced is where I had the scan done-- they want $287 (+ $70 if I dont bring in the MAF for return/exchange-- cause he said something about 'core charge'-- whats this 'core charge' about ??

ty Sontov
    It is so easy to rebuild these with cheap chinese parts for like $30 or less. This done all the time without much fanfair and then they sell it to the next guy after you. Nice business.

I cleaned my MAF but very carefully. Some say it lasts a long time still after you do so but I did it only few months back so not sure yet. You should vacuum the filter box as leaves shouldn't be reaching the MAF if air filter was good and properly seated.

Rough idle is also related to breather system clogging and it is more serious issue as it can blow cam gasket at its worse.

Cheers.

You sure it was advance auto parts? If so print this out and take it in just to see the looks on their faces when u do. >:[
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._1331568500___
    Shame on them.

You need to know which bank your o2 sensor is bad on because our cars are dual exhaust making for a total of 4 sensors. Autozone also does scans and they can tell you which bank (bank one or bank two) is throwing the CEL. The downstream sensor is actually located in/on the side of our catalytic converters.

Ahhh, i lied. Yours is a 98, different sensor. Sorry. Also, I would always have more problems with my MAF sensor in the cold than after it warmed up. It's possible it's ur o2 messing with your maf sensor.

lol no worries < AHazzardToAll >

Im sure Ive located the two upstream senors this morning.
    Im going to order the parts online tonight, for it cost less that the MAF sensor part-- starting with the least expensive solution 1st.
    Peace and Thank you all.

Interestingly enough, the ENGINE CHECK LIGHT is now NOT ON!
    The car runs as normal! How odd is this???

Both the MAF sensor and o2 sensor can slowly go out, working some days and not others. My GF's catera has a bad o2 sensor and the CEL comes and goes. I just have to get around to buying the part (instead of blowing my money on toys for my car).

caddynate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts w/3.6

i have had the same problem, looks like on ebay there sensors for a little over 20bux that are universal (gotta splice them) Anyone know besides bank1 bank2 telling u witch side, but how do u tell either upstream or down stream? I think i had likep173 or 174 in both banks. Prob should just change them all with the cheep ones.

caddynate: ok my catera is running just fine since replacing the O2 sensor. I bought mine from rock auto for U do not trust ebay/people to send the right sensor-- the (2) upstream sensors on the exhaust pipes are closer to the engine (norht of the catalytic converters) whereas (2) downstream are south of the catalytic converters. be it bank1/bank2- hell if I know-- while under the car looking up- I presume the driver side bank1 passanger is bank2-- all I was told was upstream-- and I changed the upstream driver side. at rockauto the parts was $79 w/ s/h. I also inspected and cleaned the air filter and air filter box, and the MAF area. The last 3 weeks the car engine check light has not come on.

Quote Originally Posted by caddynate View Post
    i have had the same problem, looks like on ebay there sensors for a little over 20bux that are universal (gotta splice them) Anyone know besides bank1 bank2 telling u witch side, but how do u tell either upstream or down stream? I think i had likep173 or 174 in both banks. Prob should just change them all with the cheep ones.
    Look through Compnine diagrams and part numbers (Great site),

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...03&grouptype=B

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 1sontov View Post
    caddynate: ok my catera is running just fine since replacing the O2 sensor. I bought mine from rock auto for U do not trust ebay/people to send the right sensor-- the (2) upstream sensors on the exhaust pipes are closer to the engine (norht of the catalytic converters) whereas (2) downstream are south of the catalytic converters. be it bank1/bank2- hell if I know-- while under the car looking up- I presume the driver side bank1 passanger is bank2-- all I was told was upstream-- and I changed the upstream driver side. at rockauto the parts was $79 w/ s/h. I also inspected and cleaned the air filter and air filter box, and the MAF area. The last 3 weeks the car engine check light has not come on.
    Bank 1 is passenger side. Bank 2 is driver's. Layout seems odd but comes from the original European layout which was RHD.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.