Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2001 Catera sport with sport light issues (awesome birthday until i saw smoke)

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  USEDCAT 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I've tried searching the forum but had no luck.

I purchased a 2001 catera sport with 60k on it about 4 months ago. I had to replace the motor since it was blown and spent about $1500 worth on repairs. i had issues with my sport light flashing. I did some research but was uncertain if it was a cps until the car finally wouldn't start. I replaced it and the car ran smooth. since then i had the sport light flash twice on my, the first time i just stopped shut the car off and turned it back on and it ran smooth.

Today on my way back home from my birthday lunch I was hoping onto the freeway and had a good curvy on ramp. I was doing about 45 and as i finished the turn my sport light began flashing. I assumed it would be safer to just drive the car to my exit since it was only about 7 miles, and there were no real emergency lanes on the way, by the time that I was coming on my exit i noticed smoke out of the back of my car. In a panic I pulled over as fast as I could to find oil on my driver side exhaust pipe around the catalytic converter. I tried peering under there but couldn't really pinpoint a leak. It seemed like a tranny leak but I'm unsure of where to start searching.

Do you guys have a schematic of the trans or possible issues?. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks elvin. I guess what I should've asked was if the sport light flashing after the sharp turn could have left my tranny in limp mode which is 3rd gear (correct me if i'm wrong please) and driving the car for the 7 miles on the freeway in 3rd gear could've caused too much heat and possibly warping a gasket or if it was something more serious.

I got under the car after it cooled down and cleaned off the oil, it seemed like the leak was higher than the oil pan from the left hand side of the small pan. i saw some oil coming down the O2 sensor on the cat and another wire a few inches towards the front of the car. I took it for a quick spin just enough to warm it up and see if the leak continued or if it was caused by the limp mode as i was assuming. I'll be checking in the morning to see if there was any more leaking. how prone are these transmissions to frying if driven with low oil?

#5 ·
Not that i'm aware of. Like I previously mentioned, I purchased the car about 4 months ago and replaced the motor. I haven't personally done any work to the tranny and i'm unaware of any that might've been done by the previous owner.

I guess if i spent that much money on the motor I should've just done a tranny flush.

#6 ·
Don't ever flush unless it is a last resort. I just change fluids and filter on mine. Flushing it can actually cause more issues. They could have topped off the fluid with your engine replacement. It is actually a real tedious process to properly checking our trans fluid (in comparison to a non-sealed unit). If it was a hot day this happened it could just be over filled. You have to get the trans up to operating temp (usually running for 15 +/-min) then open the fill bolt on the side of the pan, and anything that comes out is overfill (your car needs to be level for this process). Is there any oil or residue up top of your intake plenum?

#7 ·
Do you see alot of grease or residue all over the oil pan, tranny pan, surrounding wall? my leak that i had sounds alot like yours. Mysteriously mine dissaperead when i added one of those motor oil sealents to stop a majority of leaks. so far its working but i have no idea still where the leak was coming from, you can check my past posts and see if they match up with your problems. i am thinking it could be a mest up seal around that area, of the transmission/ surrounding parts around it. it is very difficult for me to diagnose because it was not very visible to trace even when lifting the car up.

#8 · (Edited)
Sorry for the long delay on a response guys. So I went ahead and dropped the pan, changed the fluid the magnet and pan were pretty clean the filter wasn't bad either, a few very tiny specs of metal but nothing out of the ordinary. I did however get a code P0743 which mentions something about a solenoid and torque converter. After the fluid change the car ran smooth for about 25 minutes and the light came back on. It's currently flashing again, i'm doing some research but haven't found anything as of yet.

I feel so frustrated with this car. I've already spent about $3500 on this car and i've only had it for 4 months. I keep telling myself "come on i've already replaced all these parts. what else could go wrong?" and lo and behold. I went by aamco since auto zone doesn't check codes anymore. They said to have a good look at it it's going to cost me about $700 and that's not including parts or repairs, that's just for the inspection. I felt like telling the guy to go and shove it up his grandmas ticklish hole but refrained from it. This is not exactly the ideal car for someone who is currently looking for work after being laid off.

#9 ·
The part (official name Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid) is located on the Transmission Adapter case and controls engagement/disengagement of 3rd and 4th gears. Perhaps worth checking the electrical connection from it to the torque converter.

The part is list at about $200 as follows number 416,

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u...1147577585&capuid=1&majorgroup=04&grouptype=B

Appears easily accessible from under and replaceable.

Cheers if it helps.

#10 ·
Thanks usedcat. I wish I would've known this when I dropped the pan and oil this morning. I'm assuming that I'll have to drain the tranny fluid again?

So i'll be needing the solenoid and the gasket as well right?

EDIT: What could've caused it to go bad? is it a common issue?

#11 ·
Sorry I am not experienced with it but tried to find helpful information only. I bet it is just electrical connection that you need to ensure is working and is good before you replace. When one works around these areas it is perhaps easy to disturb some of these as for sure I know I do many a times.

Again check the elctrical before replacing the part.

Regards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.