2000 Catera Sport Squeling on Cold Start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2000 Catera Sport Squeling on Cold Start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My Catera squeals loudly when started from cold, once it gets warm after a few seconds it stops but if ...
    AL Cool Dates is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Catera Sport

2000 Catera Sport Squeling on Cold Start

My Catera squeals loudly when started from cold, once it gets warm after a few seconds it stops but if you rev it a little it squeals a little and goes away. It also squeals slightly if at all when you turn the steering wheel all the way to the very end. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

d_phekt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Re: 2000 Catera Sport Squeling on Cold Start

My guess would be a worn serpentine belt or a bad belt tensioner.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Contact a Cadillac dealer and have them check the VIN for the cam-belt tensioner bulletin #02041A. This is critical. If the tensioner seizes the belt will break and the pistons will bend the valves. All 24 of them. This service must be done every 4 years/60,000 miles.

The serpentine belt uses the same type tensioner pullies and should be replaced also. When that belt breaks you lose the water pump, power steering, A/C, and alternator. Not as catastrophic as the timing belt but it will leave you stranded.

Crap, but I was thinking it was the belts anyway and had the intention of replacing them. Going to have to hustle harder to get this fixed sooner, thanks for the input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    Contact a Cadillac dealer and have them check the VIN for the cam-belt tensioner bulletin #02041A. This is critical. If the tensioner seizes the belt will break and the pistons will bend the valves. All 24 of them. This service must be done every 4 years/60,000 miles.

The serpentine belt uses the same type tensioner pullies and should be replaced also. When that belt breaks you lose the water pump, power steering, A/C, and alternator. Not as catastrophic as the timing belt but it will leave you stranded.
    I called Cadillac directly and they gave me a hard time because the car is 10 years old with 148000 miles on it and two of the mechanics at Caddy Dealerships told me it would have broke already had it been the case (mind you neither one wanted to look up my VIN). The Dealership that did most of the work on my car won't give me any details because I need permission from the owner that got the work done (Seriously!? Its my car dude and got the papers to prove it) and told me to carfax it which I did but carfax is light on the details (will tell you engine work performed but not what was fixed). I'm going to tough it out and fix both belts and tensioner pulleys for my own piece of mind. My mechanic is looking forward to doing the work because I had him get a quote on parts and he was even like the dealership can kick rocks for those prices.

libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

I wonder how many can sing that song. I also approached the dealer that serviced my 97 for about 9 years. You'd think I had asked for a date with their wife. They wouldn't even say if any belts were changed at all. They quoted the " privacy act " My car was a one owner when I got it about 2 years ago and I have the original delivery documentation with the previous owner's name on it. I tried my darndest to find that person to no avail. Ole Cat has 184K on it and I have the parts but have a hard time locating someone I feel confident enough with to do the work. So " Al Cool Dates" I guess we know his pain. Good Luck. Regards, Brian

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Saabs and Saturns also used the same 3.0L V6 as the Catera, just turned 90º for use in their FWD cars. Try those dealerships or independents that service those brands.

PS: Cadillac is full of shit. The 1st year CTS (2003?) used the 3.2L version of our engine which uses the updated belt tensioners. I'd like to see them refuse a CTS owner for info concerning their car. I love my '01 Sport but hate Cadillac.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.