Factory CD changer connect
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Factory CD changer connect in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; How does the Factory CD changer connect to the Factory radio? I have the Bose stereo but when i got ...
    mavrick70004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Factory CD changer connect

How does the Factory CD changer connect to the Factory radio? I have the Bose stereo but when i got the car someone had moved and changed the CD changer from that little nook in the trunk to right next to the rear right shock and replaced it with a 10-disc. On the interior there was a manual CD changer control with Velcro just below the instrument panel. I took the stereo apart to figure out what the hell was going on and i found a FM modulator for a CD changer stuck behind the stereo. Short story i took all that crap out and now have a CD changer cable running from behind the stereo to the trunk area. But my stock Bose stereo only has two inputs one for the antenna and one for the wire harness. Is there some sort of adapter that was removed that connects the CD changer cable to the stereo wire harness? Im getting the USA SPEC to connect my ipod to the stereo but im wondering if there is something else i need to get from the dealer in order to make it work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: Factory CD changer connect

The factory CD changer cable in the trunk goes back into the radio plug and as such is integrated into the radio plug at the back of the Bose head end or main Radio, cassette cd player in the dash. If this plug is intact then you should be good. All of the wires in the CD changer plug are straight runs.

The Bose radio decides through the source selected what signal to feed to the audio amp under the rear window in the trunk. This audio amp then feeds all the speakers. The Bose radio also communicates with the CD changer over a datalink for the control and communication of information and indicate playback as well as control the operation of the CD changer. This connection is embedded in the CD changer plug as well as the Bose radio plug.

I tried to connect one of the MP3 cd changer once through an appropriate cable and data interface but started getting battery drain issues. Depending on how well the protocol is done at the CD changer end and it will determine if the BCM and then some other electronics will be kept unnecessarily live when you turn the car off and hence battery degradation.

Hope it helps.

i have a 8 Pin changer plug going from the back of the stereo to the trunk, is this not right? Both ends of the cable have an 8 pin connector, My radio harness and my changer cable are not connected to eachother in anyway. Does anyone have a picture of what it is supposed to look like?

Quote Originally Posted by mavrick70004 View Post
    i have a 8 Pin changer plug going from the back of the stereo to the trunk, is this not right? Both ends of the cable have an 8 pin connector, My radio harness and my changer cable are not connected to eachother in anyway. Does anyone have a picture of what it is supposed to look like?
    What car are you driving?

I have paper manuals for 1998 Catera and these are quite detailed.

Cheers.

1998 with bose

FOUND IT!. Previous owner decided to use the CD changer bay for storage since the CD changer was moved. Mine is right by the tail light and is thin and black and has 9 wires going to it. So instead of using this and buying some sort of adapter they instead ran a regular CD changer cable from the stereo to the trunk. Now i get to pull half the cars trim out in order to remove their stupid install, now it makes sense as to why the passenger kick panel is missing its screws

drakenhol is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

! Do you have a picture of what your cd harness looks like. I was looking at the same SPEC component for my Cat and it said if you have the prewiring great if not I have to purchace the GM data cable. I looked in my trunk and found a split cable, 6 / 4 split with 2 rows of 10 female connectors. Is this the data cable? I too have the bose system in my vehicle. 1997 Cat.

Hope you can help! Thanks!

texasput is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

Need help bose radio went out in my 2000 deville and I put 2003 bose in and all is good but try to play cd changer it come up with (CDX ERROR) on it any help ty

blanny431 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 catera

hi I was just reading your remarks there and it sounds like you know what your talking about ...can y ou tell me what is the black box thing that goes accross the trunk under the back window...I cant get it to move to check it out so I just leave it alone...my car is just a basic catera not sport...also with just the factory bose system is it hard to put a 10 or 12 disc changer in these cars.....I hate having to change the cd every time I was really hoping that black box under the rear window was a cd changer but I dont t hink so.....can you help...thanks Kev

Quote Originally Posted by blanny431 View Post
    hi I was just reading your remarks there and it sounds like you know what your talking about ...can y ou tell me what is the black box thing that goes accross the trunk under the back window...I cant get it to move to check it out so I just leave it alone...my car is just a basic catera not sport...also with just the factory bose system is it hard to put a 10 or 12 disc changer in these cars.....I hate having to change the cd every time I was really hoping that black box under the rear window was a cd changer but I dont t hink so.....can you help...thanks Kev
    That is the Audio Amplifier module location. Bose radios in these cars could use three units to give you audio,

1. Head unit in the Dash which gives you controls for Radio, clock, tape/CD player as equipped, cd changer control if equipped
    2. Separate Amplifier driven by the control unit. All speaker connections come out of this unit in trunk located just inside the trunk below rear window.
    3. CD Changer if equipped located on the side of the trunk opposite of the spare tire. My experience is that you need the stock cd changer to work in this location because of control and battery drainage issues.

The original CD Changer I believe looked (Catera and Corvette CD Changers I believe were interchangeabl) something like the following but these are not the exact model numbers,

http://cas07.businessflow.ms/Current...4-6a0e08e4b45f
    http://www.compnine.com/index.php?name=25678544

Hope it helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.