Introduction from new Catera owner - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Introduction from new Catera owner in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Jea3cd That sounds alot like my luck, my 2000 Catera was sitting at the dealership in back. ...
    Doug Chase is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera x 2

Re: Introduction from new Catera owner

Quote Originally Posted by Jea3cd View Post
    That sounds alot like my luck, my 2000 Catera was sitting at the dealership in back.
    Well done.

I unloaded the black Caddy from the trailer today and got it into the shop. That was an adventure. I tried hose clamping the broken tie rod together a couple different ways, but neither worked so I resorted to driving 2', getting out with the crowbar to adjust the angle of the LF wheel, repeat. Took about an hour.

Once in the shop, I pulled the good radiator from the black car and transplanted it back to its original home in the gold car. I filled it with coolant and hooked up all the sensors and it fired right up. Not sure what was up with the cranks-but-won't-start condition it had when I bought it but I'm grateful that it's at least temporarily gone. If it's going to come back I sure hope it happens before it leaves the shop.

The car sounds like it's firing evenly but it's kind of hard to tell because it has an exhaust leak at the right manifold (that I knew about when I bought it). It definitely has some sort of a knock, though. It's worst right at startup and then goes mostly away in about 10 seconds but is still sort of faintly there. If you bring the RPMs up it seems to go away. It doesn't sound quite like rod knocks usually do, but that's still my best guess. Almost sounds like it's in the top end, though.

I haven't drained the oil or driven it yet. Will see what comes out of the crankcase (it looks clean on the dipstick) and if it looks perfect I'll put some 20W-50 in it and if the knock goes away it's probably a rod.

Has anybody done rod bearings in one of these without pulling the motor? If it is a rod knock, it's not bad yet, so it's possible the crank is still fine and this could be fixed by replacing rod bearings. Hey, I can dream, right?

On the other hand, if the crank is wiped out then I'll swap in the motor from the black car, and will probably put new rod bearings in it as a preventative measure.

Doug

Oh, oil pressure was about 25psi at idle, which might be a little low at a cold start. Based on experience with the black car, however, I'm not convinced the oil pressure gauge is hooked up to reality so I may put a mechanical gauge on to test.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Chase View Post
    Oh, oil pressure was about 25psi at idle, which might be a little low at a cold start. Based on experience with the black car, however, I'm not convinced the oil pressure gauge is hooked up to reality so I may put a mechanical gauge on to test.
    You are very knowledgeable but if it helps,

• Noise at start is probably drained and partially lifters/valves. If the engine was cranked a lot of times without start this could have similar effect as turning the crank manually albeit a little faster. When I changed my timing belt and turned the crank manually few times I got such noise. Couple of quick oil changes and Rislone engine treatment fixed the issue with patience.
    • Oil pressure you are absolutely right about bad pressure indication. You can clean tand re-install the sensor or replace it for peace of mind as it appears a very common issue with age of these cars. Lot of mechanics jump to the oil pump but I have not seen any posts which proved that to be the case. Oil pressure sensor so easy to replace too.
    Good luck.

The plot thickens.

I moved the gold car over to the lift yesterday, and I noticed a puddle of oil where it had been previous sitting. Investigation shows that a previous owner has bypassed the oil cooler. He cut the lines right above the oil filter and looped a piece of hose between them, and this is leaking pretty seriously when the car is running. The rest of the oil cooler lines are nowhere to be seen, so I don't know if the oil cooler has been completely removed or not. Yikes.

I have a feeling that the deeper I get into this motor, the more problems I'm going to find with it. I'm going to cut my losses at this point and transplant the engine (and freshly rebuilt transmission) from the black car. I'll do some freshening on that motor before it goes in.

Here's my tentative list of what I should do to freshen that motor. Comments welcome.

timing belt
    timing belt tensioner
    water pump
    rod bearings?
    main bearings?
    oil cooler?
    misc (plugs, wires, belts)

What do you all think? Anything else that really should be replaced while the motor is out? The motor currently has 137k on it. Keep in mind that I plan on selling the gold car when it's finished so I don't want to go overboard. But at the same time I want to sell a car that is in very good condition to the best of my knowledge.

Three questions for those that have pulled the motor:

1) Does anybody have a picture of the engine lift mount brackets? I'll need to make some.

2) The factory service manual has you remove the transmission and then the engine. Is this necessary for clearance, or can the motor / trans come out together?

3) Is it possible to remove the motor without opening the A/C system? IE, unbolt the compressor from the block and move it out of the way?

Doug

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

MyOpel removed his engine with the tranny and posted a video on YouTube to prove it.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Chase View Post
    Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the welcomes. It's been a while since I've checked in here and I've been doing nothing Caddy related except driving the black car and tracking down more annoying electrical issues (dome lights don't work, horn is intermittant, front seat heaters don't work, etc). Once the weather was no longer suitable for a convertible (Miata) the Catera became an awful nice daily driver.

Unfortunately, it had a slight mishap a week ago. I was giving a snow driving lesson to a 17 year old on the way to Crystal Mountain to go skiing and, well, the driving lesson didn't go as well as we'd hoped.

I'd post a pic, but apparently I need 5 posts first, so I'll do that after a couple more posts. [EDIT: Just found the attachments button so I used that instead of posting image inline]

Mechanically the car isn't bad and all it needs to be back on the road is a left front control arm and tie rod, and driver's window. Unfortunately the whole left side of the car is dented up, and the rear bumper cover is half torn off.

At this point I'm going to transplant the perfect running engine from this car into my gold car. After that I'll put the black one up for sale either whole or as parts.

I've looked ahead into the engine R&R procedure and have a couple questions on that which I'll ask in another thread.

One final question, though. Are there any other Catera forums on the internet? In addition to this one I found cateraowners.forumotion dot com (Thanks elvin 315) and omegaowners dot com.

Anything else? I appreciate the welcome I've gotten here, but this site is soooo sloooow.

Doug
    I wish that this would happen to mine!

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    I wish that this would happen to mine!
    No one is stopping you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.