Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  libbysman 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Im new here first post!!
I recently purchased a 2000 Catera Sport with 79,000 miles, I just have 1 question.
When first starting it up cold it Ticksfor about a minnute. the Oil was just changed, it looks like the oil pressure guage when at idle is about a quarter of the way up, and when given a little gas it then goes to about 3/4 quarters of the way up! is this the Norm?

Thanks,
Marty

#3 ·
I have ticking in my car too, tried all kinds of products and nothing worked. I don't think it will hurt to give it a try, but make sure to drain some oil first before adding the Rislone. The oil pressure gauge reading is normal, when you have a cold start the reading shows high and then comes down as the engine get warmer.

#5 ·
Well i added the Rislone, first i sucked a little bit of iol from the dipstick tube.

The Noise is goneI will start it up this afternoon after i get home from work, just to check for the 10th time that it cleared up. I too think it was a sticky lifter.

Another question is the break roters seem to be a bit warped (front and rear) any suggestions, saw drilled, sloted, and vented ones on E-Bay for cheap, what do you think?????

#7 ·
Hello All: Is there an inherant problem with rotors on these cars? I changed the front ones on my 97 about 13 months ago and they're warped too. The supplier (Lordco) would exchange them 1 for 1 under 12 months. I put quality pads on at the same time, but get shaking under medium speed braking. It's aggravating, can it be cured? Regards, Brian

#9 ·
Libbysman may be the following would be helpful,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...nyone-used-e-bay-rotors-pads.html#post2296842

Without repeating I just excerpted my notes below,

I believe the issue is more with the cleanliness of three surfaces,

- Piston to back of pad, I found front of my piston well rusted with crud and uneven and I believe this may be true of most original pistons with age of the car
o What I did was cleaned it gently with a flat file so that it will mate with the pad evenly

- Pad deterioration was also present on my brakes even though pad wearout was minimal. The backing plate riveted to the back side of pads where the piston partially impinges has gotten loose so the plate was not steadily pressed on by the piston.

- This I did not test but there is a possibility of warping with overtight rotors if these were not seated properly against the hub or if the hub and rotor contact areas were not cleaned properly in a brake job.

I rectified all these conditions with a basic semi-metallic pad and standard rotor change and the vibration is gone which was very similar to what you described.

Obviously the quality of pad/rotors matters but just my experience from a recent change.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.