Rear coil spring/suspension question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Rear coil spring/suspension question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Would there be any other mechanical factor that would cause the rear end to sag lower on the driver side ...
    Cadi Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Rear coil spring/suspension question

Would there be any other mechanical factor that would cause the rear end to sag lower on the driver side besides a weak or broken coil spring or malfunctioning air ride? My air ride works like a charm, and the shocks are brand new, and I checked the coil spring but see no signs of cracks or fractures so it must be weak. I'm looking to order a new one from the UK at $47. I know, I know it's best to order them in pairs but I don't have the money for that right now. I just want to level out the rear end before my 2 week cross country roadtrip vacation to the Carolinas. Any tips with this would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Rear coil spring/suspension question

If it's not the shock then it must be the spring. Not much else back there that holds up the car. But why the UK? You should be able to find a used spring here. I must have found about 300 of them listed at Car-Part.com between $75 and $20 USD. I used Detroit as my search location but if you plug in your zipcode you might find one close by. When you get a little cash saved I'd replace both sides or maybe all 4. They all share the same mileage and wear & tear so it makes sense. If you hit the Lotto check out my Suspension Upgrades page at:

http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/s...t-1-2-t108.htm

Enjoy your trip. Come back and tell us about it.

pedrazamarcos is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

I have seen at least 3 rear springs broken in Cateras,the factory paint comes out,rust appears and in few years you have a broken spring.You have to look very close to make sure the are NOT broken.1999 and up use different Spring than 97 and 98.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

I would like to add some info.. I recently replaced the springs in my catera. One was obviously broken, and untill we replaced it we didnt realize the other own was broken.. I highly recomend replaceing, or at least buying both!!! I got mine used for $90 for a pair. I have a 2000 catera sport, yet I used 97 or 98 catera springs... ANY year springs will work.. I belive that the 97-98 are maybe 1/4" more lift.. You also need special spring compressors to intall the coil springs.
    You can find great buys on the spring new in the UK ebay! I didnt realize this befor I got mine. the caddy dealer only sells in pairs and if I recall they were $478 a pair.. uk ebay has them for $240??

also, both ends of the coil should end with only about a 1.5" opening in the coil... if there is more space in the center then you spring is broken!!
    My driver side spring broke first.

I certanly appreciate all the replys and good info. I will be replacing that spring with a new one from the UK. At $47 shipped I can't go wrong with that or risk buying another weak used one from a salvage yard around here. When I get back from my vacation I'll be buying another one for the other side. That little bit of sag is causing extra wear on that tire and i need to get it fixed before it gets bad. But everything else looks good under there. Everything has a good undercoating of paint and no rust except for a small cancer mark on the inner fender working it's way out.
    I will be posting pics taken along the way and show my cat off a little.

Some good information to anyone looking to buy a new set of rear coil springs, make sure that they are compatible with "vehicles equipped with air-ride". Therefore it's $121 for each coil shipping included. Or if you buy two it's $181. Not $47 each like I stated before. The Omega's rear leveling system was an option. As it is standard on our Cateras.

nethic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Found out my rear coil springs are broken (both) and the dealership wants 930$ CAD for a pair not including laborer just got this car to...... Any one in Ontario Canada with info on where to find them any cheaper then that please drop a line.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by nethic View Post
    Found out my rear coil springs are broken (both) and the dealership wants 930$ CAD for a pair not including laborer just got this car to...... Any one in Ontario Canada with info on where to find them any cheaper then that please drop a line.
    Mine were broken for years. I believe that mine were broken when I got the car, but still rode okay. They broke close to the tray that they sat in so there was no worry of lateral movement. Mine need to be replaced to pass inspection, but the tech didn't "see' the break so close to the tray.

If you don't have to replace them...don't! The cars have an abysmal service record and you might need the cash for something else. Read the post on here and you will see what I mean.

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

Here's a Tampa Craigslist ad for an Eibach lowering springs kit for 40 bucks!! (no affiliation)
    Maybe he'll be willing to ship them to you, worth a shot.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/pts/3400254469.html
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/3867.140/10002/-1

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    Mine were broken for years. I believe that mine were broken when I got the car, but still rode okay. They broke close to the tray that they sat in so there was no worry of lateral movement. Mine need to be replaced to pass inspection, but the tech didn't "see' the break so close to the tray.

If you don't have to replace them...don't! The cars have an abysmal service record and you might need the cash for something else. Read the post on here and you will see what I mean.
    That's how I got the vehicle as well and I as well need new ones for it to pass a inspection, but I found some at a wreckers for cheap, guy there said there practically brand new and where most likely recently added to the catera that just came in, got them for $50CAD each + shipping, already found a place to put them in for around $120CAD or so. I will still need to fix the third brake light LED strip, I'm thinking of doing that myself as well as change all the lights to HID and LED, think I need to replace the exhaust to, pulled into the drive way tonight after about 20 minute drive or so and they were red hot underneath the vehicle, smoking as well so I'll need to look into that stuff to.

The list of things that go wrong is endless! But best of luck. Where in Canada are you?

Sudbury, Ontario, Nickel Capital of Canada

Quote Originally Posted by nethic View Post
    Sudbury, Ontario, Nickel Capital of Canada
    I get into Canada several times a year. Near the falls, Niagara on the Lake. But depending on what time of year depends on what I drive. Nice dry weather I drive this.

all other times a Volvo. I never like to take the Catera more that 100 miles from home. Once to Montreal however!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.