Anyone used E-bay Rotors/Pads?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Anyone used E-bay Rotors/Pads? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, Have you tried those drilled rotors/pads sets you get on Ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...#ht_2728wt_958 I'm not trying to get more performance, ...
    investor74 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Anyone used E-bay Rotors/Pads?

Hi,

Have you tried those drilled rotors/pads sets you get on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...#ht_2728wt_958

I'm not trying to get more performance, just trying to get rid of annoying vibration I get when I touch the brake lightly. Problem is in front.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: Anyone used E-bay Rotors/Pads?

Quote Originally Posted by investor74 View Post
    Hi,

Have you tried those drilled rotors/pads sets you get on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...#ht_2728wt_958

I'm not trying to get more performance, just trying to get rid of annoying vibration I get when I touch the brake lightly. Problem is in front.
    I believe the issue is more with the cleanliness of three surfaces,

- Piston to back of pad, I found front of my piston well rusted with crud and uneven and I believe this may be true of most original pistons with age of the car
    o What I did was cleaned it gently with a flat file so that it will mate with the pad evenly

- Pad deterioration was also present on my brakes even though pad wearout was minimal. The backing plate riveted to the back side of pads where the piston partially impinges has gotten loose so the plate was not steadily pressed on by the piston.

- This I did not test but there is a possibility of warping with overtight rotors if these were not seated properly against the hub or if the hub and rotor contact areas were not cleaned properly in a brake job.

I rectified all these conditions with a basic semi-metallic pad and standard rotor change and the vibration is gone which was very similar to what you described.

Obviously the quality of pad/rotors matters but just my experience from a recent change.

Good luck.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

I can't vouch for the ones you linked but I've been using discs from Brake Performance, which I bought online, for 2 years to cure the same problem. Mine are dimpled and slotted with a black zinc coating. No more shakes when braking and improved stopping in the wet. The zinc gets worn off the friction portion of the discs but the rest is still black and rust free.

My discs are what they call dimpled instead of cross-drilled. I chose them because dimples aren't drilled straight through, like cross-drilled, so the integrity of the disc isn't compromised. I've heard that cross-drilled discs are prone to fractures. Whether true or not I thought the dimpled ones would resist fracturing better. The zinc coating is a rust proofing. The stopping is greatly reduced until the pads wear if off. After that they stop like you fired retro-rockets. And that was before swapping to GTO calipers.

One more note. I use summer and snow tires mounted on separate wheels. I've noticed a return of the shaking sometimes after switching from one set to the other. Thought it was warped discs until my mechanic loosened the lugbolts and re-torqued them. Shakes gone. Try that before buying new discs.

click

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I also bought mine from brakeperformance .com and did the GTO swap at the same time. I have the performance slotted ones and I like them.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

I bought drilled rotors befor for a grand am, and they were horrible. I would never put them on my car again, unless it was a show car only, not driven in rain or salt. the elements corrod the holes and they rust, then they warm, throw rusty water on the rims after you wash car.. a mess. I went back to regular rotors.

thats my thought. My friend has a show mustang with the drilled and slotted ones, and has no isse, but its a show car mostly.. does not see rain/snow.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

As I said earlier, mine are zinc coated. No rust. My Cat is a daily driver in the snow-belt. Rain, snow, salt, and sand. It sees it all. So far the discs are rust free.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Mine is the same, zinc plated and so far no rust or other issues. Got it from brakeperformance.com

caddlovers is offline Cadillac Owners Member

To Investor 74 - Lets step back to the Earth....with car like this you don't need any drilled or slotted disks at all, it wouldn't do any better for your car. If you try fix vibrations or any other defects - you need just instal disk and pads PROPERLY and in addition to that, be sure other susspension parts related to driving ar OK!!!! In regards of how to instal disks... - instal regular (I prefere BREMBO) and don not forget chek how it spins - check outer and inner for vibration before wheel instlation. And plus pistons should be in good condition...Trust me, don'r waist you money for nothing

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by caddlovers View Post
    To Investor 74 - Lets step back to the Earth....with car like this you don't need any drilled or slotted disks at all, it wouldn't do any better for your car. If you try fix vibrations or any other defects - you need just instal disk and pads PROPERLY and in addition to that, be sure other susspension parts related to driving ar OK!!!! In regards of how to instal disks... - instal regular (I prefere BREMBO) and don not forget chek how it spins - check outer and inner for vibration before wheel instlation. And plus pistons should be in good condition...Trust me, don'r waist you money for nothing
    Correction, slotted (or the other variations) rotors do make a difference. If you're actually looking for more stopping power you will need to upgrade your calipers, but the upgraded rotors will help with stopping in poorer driving conditions (such as on rainy days). The slots or drilled areas on the rotors helps to quickly "squeegee" or dissipate the water off of the rotors and therefore you pad will grab a lot better. Dimples and drilled holes can also add grab between the pad and rotors, but with the stock calipers I'm not sure how much of a difference this would make. If you just want to get rid of your warped rotors but you're not planning on changing the calipers, i would highly recommend getting slotted rotors. It is very important to be able to stop this heavy beast of a car, especially in the rain! If your cat is a fair weather driver then solid rotors will suit you fine. That being said it is always important to make sure all other components are installed correctly as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.