2000 Catera stuck in park
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2000 Catera stuck in park in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2000 Catera. It won't shift out of park. The shift to park light stays on. I've rocked ...
    sburke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2000 Catera stuck in park

I have a 2000 Catera. It won't shift out of park. The shift to park light stays on. I've rocked it & jacked up the rear end nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: 2000 Catera stuck in park

Quote Originally Posted by sburke View Post
    I have a 2000 Catera. It won't shift out of park. The shift to park light stays on. I've rocked it & jacked up the rear end nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Steve
    There is an interlock between brake and shifting. As you know one can not shift without Braking from park you may want to look into the fuses or related areas if you have some documentation. Maybe the BCM/ECU is not seeing the brake signal or the key turned on signal.

Cheers.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Lift the boot from around the bottom of the shifter. If I remember correctly, there's a yellow pawl the blocks the shifter from moving. If you push that you will be able to move it out of park. Of course now you have to figure out why that happened. Spray the shifter mechanism with WD40 to start with. If that doesn't help remove the cover off the steering column and inspect the ignition interlock. Something might be jammed up or broken there. Might as well lube it too. Next crawl under the dash and check the brake interlock. Naturally hose it with WD40. Why not right? Good luck.

sburke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I got it. I ended up removing the cover where the boot is attached. From there I seen the pawl & was able to unlock it. Thanks for the help.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

No problem. Glad I could help.

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Now do you have to do that everytime you want to drive? If so, this seems like a very temporary fix. If you come up with a permanent fix, please let us know. Thanks!

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Matera97 View Post
    Now do you have to do that everytime you want to drive? If so, this seems like a very temporary fix. If you come up with a permanent fix, please let us know. Thanks!
    Matera97 there is a TSB issued towards the general area of stuck key, steering unlocking, etc., which might give clues to also this problem.

The TSB number is: 01-02-35-002 and it was issued March 12,2001.

It basically involves cleaning up the roughness, etc., in the shifter pattern detent and shift linkage adjustment if needed.

DIFFICULTY REMOVING KEY FROM IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER (ADJUST MANUAL SHIFT LINKAGE, INSPECT SHIFTER PATTERN DETENT LEVER)
    CONDITION
    CAUSE
    l
    l
    CORRECTION

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
    Reference Number(s): 01-02-35-002, Date of Issue: March 12, 2001 CADILLAC:1997-2001 Catera SECTION:02 - Steering
    Some customers may comment that the ignition key may be difficult to remove from the ignition lock cylinder at times.
    This condition may be caused by the shift lever rod not fully contacting the key release micro-switch in the shifter assembly due to one or both of the following reasons:
    The manual shift linkage may not be properly adjusted. The shifter pattern detent lever may have a burr or rough edge at the park position opening.
    Manual shift linkage adjustment should first be checked and adjusted if necessary. Inspect the shifter pattern detent lever for any burrs or rough edges at the park position opening. Use the following service procedure:
    1.Check and adjust the manual shift linkage. Refer to the Shift Control Linkage Adjustment procedure in the Automatic Transmission sub-section of the Service Manual. 2.Remove the gear selector boot from the console. The boot snaps into the console and can be removed by gently pulling up on the front end of the boot.
    3.Inspect the shifter pattern detent lever for any burrs or rough edges at the park position opening.

4.Ensure that the shift lever rod is adequately lubricated at the base where it contacts the shift pattern detent lever.
    5.Verify correct system operation. With the key ON, engine OFF and the selector in the park position, raise and lower the shift lever rod (2 in Fig. 1 ). In its fully bottom position, the rod should contact the micro-switch (3 in Fig. 1 ). An audible click will be heard in the steering column confirming the key release lifting magnet operation.
    6.Install the gear selector boot to the console.

ford302 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

i had that issue on my 97 and the brake light switch was the problem. but if that is your problem make sure you replace it with a gm one because the aftermarket ones dont work i had the same issue a week later. after the gm one went in it has been good ever since

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ford302 View Post
    i had that issue on my 97 and the brake light switch was the problem. but if that is your problem make sure you replace it with a gm one because the aftermarket ones dont work i had the same issue a week later. after the gm one went in it has been good ever since
    I got mine from oreilly auto about 3yrs ago and it still works fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.