All Four Powered Windows Stop Working
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, All Four Powered Windows Stop Working in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, all four windows stopped working all at once when coming home from work today. There is no response to ...
    tratar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 1998

All Four Powered Windows Stop Working

Hello, all four windows stopped working all at once when coming home from work today. There is no response to any of the windows from the four buttons next to shifter or from the individual buttons on the door. I also don't see any lights lit on the buttons themselves like they would normally be when the car is running.
    I checked fuse #1 (30A) and #7 (30A) in the fuse box under steering dash and they are ok. I unhooked battery to see if it would reset. All other electrical is working fine, ex: radio, trunk, gas door, cluster lights. Any ideas or other fusses related to troubleshoot. Thanks for any info where and how to check.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: All Four Powered Windows Stop Working

Quote Originally Posted by tratar View Post
    Hello, all four windows stopped working all at once when coming home from work today. There is no response to any of the windows from the four buttons next to shifter or from the individual buttons on the door. I also don't see any lights lit on the buttons themselves like they would normally be when the car is running.
    I checked fuse #1 (30A) and #7 (30A) in the fuse box under steering dash and they are ok. I unhooked battery to see if it would reset. All other electrical is working fine, ex: radio, trunk, gas door, cluster lights. Any ideas or other fusses related to troubleshoot. Thanks for any info where and how to check.
    What year is your car?

Check Fuse number 15 as well.

Cheers.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Longshot but try reprogramming the window controls. If you have a sunroof check that too.

kriot3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I would try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes and hope that will solve the issues. Cats have lots of electrical gremlins!!

tratar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 1998

Fuse #15 checked out ok and disconnecting battery did nothing. My Catera is a 98. I did discover all power to windows works only when the car is in first gear.
    Meaning all four window buttons light up as normal at the gear shift console, working independently as they normally would when car is on. No power to window switches when car is in PRND32. Go figure. Leading up to this, in the past year, two of the window buttons would stay lit when the car was completely off through the night, only rarely though. Also worth mentioning two weeks ago I had a Neutral Safety Switch replaced after the car would roll sometimes in park mode,and rare occasion of limp mode from transmission. My point is do you think the Neutral Safety Switch has anything to do with power going to those window switches at center gear shift console? Maybe some kind of short there. Thank you for your suggestions.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Generally the saying goes "trouble is where dirty fingers were".

Good rule of thumb to check the wiring, connectors, etc., in that area. Good thing appears to be that all the window motors and mechanisms are in tact and so are the relays just some wiring gremlins.

Good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.