Need help locating a fuse panel diagram for 1997 Catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Need help locating a fuse panel diagram for 1997 Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello. I have a 98 Catera. My GM service manual is for a 99 and my owners manual in the ...
    RetardedGenius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Need help locating a fuse panel diagram for 1997 Catera

Hello. I have a 98 Catera. My GM service manual is for a 99 and my owners manual in the glove box is for my 98, but the Fuse/ECU Relay Housing diagrams in both books do not match the Fuse/ECU Relay Housing in my car at all. For instance, the coolant fan test connector and K22 Auxiliary Water pump relay and many fuses are in different locations than my 98 and 99 diagrams.

Anyway, does anyone have a 1997 Catera Fuse/ECU Relay Housing diagram they could post? It's the fuse/relay box beside the battery; the triangular one. I'm hoping since my car is a 01/1998 Catera a 97 diagram might match up.

Thanks in advance,
    RetardedGenius

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: Need help locating a fuse panel diagram for 1997 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by RetardedGenius View Post
    Hello. I have a 98 Catera. My GM service manual is for a 99 and my owners manual in the glove box is for my 98, but the Fuse/ECU Relay Housing diagrams in both books do not match the Fuse/ECU Relay Housing in my car at all. For instance, the coolant fan test connector and K22 Auxiliary Water pump relay and many fuses are in different locations than my 98 and 99 diagrams.

Anyway, does anyone have a 1997 Catera Fuse/ECU Relay Housing diagram they could post? It's the fuse/relay box beside the battery; the triangular one. I'm hoping since my car is a 01/1998 Catera a 97 diagram might match up.

Thanks in advance,
    RetardedGenius
    I have the 1998 Manuals and unfortunately I believe GM claims 1997 and 1998 to have same fuse/relay lay out but I have copied below from alternate source if it helps, Cheers and good luck.

Thank you for posting the fuse diagram for me.
    Unfortunately, it's the same diagram shown in my 98 owner's manual and 99 service manual.
    If anyone has a different diagram, especially one with the coolant fan test connector toward the middle and K22 fan relay on the far right on the diagram (toward rear on the car) can you please post it?
    Does anyone know what the K26 fan relay looks like? What color? Any part numbers on it or markings different than the other relays?
    Thank you for your help.

Thank you for posting the fuse diagram for me.
    Unfortunately, it's the same diagram shown in my 98 owner's manual and 99 service manual.
    If anyone has a different diagram, especially one with the coolant fan test connector toward the middle and K22 fan relay on the far right on the diagram (toward rear on the car) can you please post it?
    Does anyone know what the K26 fan relay looks like? What color? Any part numbers on it or markings different than the other relays?
    Thank you for your help.
    K26 is identified as , a gray relay as follows,

24430433 V(L81) RELAY,FAN CONT(K26)(GRAY)

Above 24430433 is the GM part number for it. I checked it in my Catera 2001 and it is in Position 7 as in the 2001 Owners manual.

Some other relays info related to fans,

V(L81)RELAY,FAN CONT(3.900)(ACDelco #D1753C)(ALL MAKES)
    V(L81)RELAY,FAN CONT(FOR RAD / K52)(BROWN)
    V(L81)RELAY,FAN CONT(K26)(GRAY)
    V(L81)RELAY,FAN CONT(K28)(ORANGE)
    V(L81)RELAY,FAN CONT(K67)(BLUE)
    VRELAY,FAN CONT(K87)(BLACK)(USED IN PLACE OF GREEN 3447012)(2.485)(ACDelco #D1702A)

For 1997 (work the site for any other years too for ordering, etc.) you can at least check colors and part numbers from the following,

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...01&grouptype=B

Good luck

Wow! That's a lot of information. Thank you!
    I'm starting to think some jackass got into my relay box before I bought it in 2002 and moved everything around because there's no other reason why my relay locations don't match any other relay chart.
    Worse still, somebody may have also mis-labeled my relays. For instance, I have a brown relay labeled K22 in magic marker and a purple relay labeled K67 in marker. However, Brown is supposed to be a K52, and I don't know what color K22 should be. K67 should be Blue, and I have no idea what relay Purple is.
    I've been trying to figure out why my K22 relay isn't receiving B+ voltage from relay K26 at the #2 pin on K22, and now I"m starting to wonder if I've been testing the wrong relay location.
    My Auxiliary Water Pump isn't working because the circuit has no voltage. Which relay (color) is K22?
    Again, I can't thank you enough for all the information so far.

Wow! That's a lot of information. Thank you!
    I'm starting to think some jackass got into my relay box before I bought it in 2002 and moved everything around because there's no other reason why my relay locations don't match any other relay chart.
    Worse still, somebody may have also mis-labeled my relays. For instance, I have a brown relay labeled K22 in magic marker and a purple relay labeled K67 in marker. However, Brown is supposed to be a K52, and I don't know what color K22 should be. K67 should be Blue, and I have no idea what relay Purple is.
    I've been trying to figure out why my K22 relay isn't receiving B+ voltage from relay K26 at the #2 pin on K22, and now I"m starting to wonder if I've been testing the wrong relay location.
    My Auxiliary Water Pump isn't working because the circuit has no voltage. Which relay (color) is K22?
    Again, I can't thank you enough for all the information so far.
    Let us see if this helps further but remember this is for my Cadillac Catera 2001 Base model.

K22 is a Hella Realy (looks Silver) and Part Number 90192481.

I have also taken a picture of my relay layout as above. Touch wood my car is fully functional without any errors or codes so hopefully the relays are working.

Left to right the relays based on my Owners Manual these should be,

1. Sai Pump (K12)
    2. Fan Control (K67)
    3. Auxiliary Water Pump (K22)
    4. Windshield Wiper Motor (K8)
    5. A/C Compressor Relay (K60)
    6. Fan Control Relay (K87) ... Connector C110 right behind this
    7. Fan Control Realy (K26) ... The Coolant Fan Test Connector is right behind this.
    8. Fuse 50
    9A. Front: Fan Control Relay (K28)
    9B. Back: Fan Control Relay (K52)
    10A. Front: Engine Controls Power Realy (K43)
    10B. Back: Fuel Pump Relay (K44)

Hope this helps you sort out.

PS: I have also pasted part of a post from Omegaowners forum that I made below,

Take with a grain of salt write-up about my car's operation (a wrong wheel drive version of the Omega, 2001 Cadillac Catera ). Here goes and you have to abridge and possibly use own relay numbers,

Auxiliary Fans Low Speed: Electric Cooling Fan Low Speed Battery voltage is supplied to heater water auxiliary pump whenever ignition switch is on. When engine temperature reaches 212F (100C), primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 1 will close, enabling fan control relay K26 to energize. When fan control relay K26 energizes, battery voltage from fuse 52 is applied to auxiliary coolant fan 1 (auxiliary engine coolant fan 1 is wired in series with auxiliary engine fan 2, through normally closed contacts of fan control relay K52. This will cause auxiliary coolant fans 1 and 2 to operate at low speed. Fan control relay K26 will also supply battery voltage to engine coolant fan resistor, voltage passes through resistor to electric coolant fan. Engine coolant fan resistor will cause engine coolant fan to operate at low speed. Primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 1 contacts will open when coolant temperature reaches 203F (95C). This will turn all 3 fans off, unless air conditioning system is on.

Auxiliary Fans High Speed:When engine temperature reaches 221F (105C), secondary cooling fan temperature switch contacts will close and energize fan control relays K52 and K28. When fan control relay K52 energizes, it will ground terminal "B" of auxiliary engine coolant fan 1. Terminal "A" of auxiliary engine fan 1 still receives battery voltage from fan control relay K26. Auxiliary coolant fan 1 is no longer in series with auxiliary engine coolant fan 2 and will now operate at full speed. When fan control relay K28 is energized, battery voltage from fuse 40 will be applied to terminal "A" of auxiliary engine coolant fan 2. Auxiliary coolant fan 2 is no longer in series with auxiliary engine coolant fan 1 and operates at full speed. Terminal "B" of auxiliary coolant fan 2 is permanently grounded. With stage 1 contacts of primary cooling fan temperature switch closed, electric cooling fan will continue to operate. Secondary cooling fan temperature switch contacts will open when coolant temperature reaches 212F (100C). This will cause auxiliary engine coolant fans 1 and 2 to operate at low speed.

Electric Coolant Fan High Speed: When engine coolant temperature reaches 230F (110C), primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 2 will close energizing fan control relay K67. When fan control relay K67 energizes, battery voltage from fuse 42 will be applied directly to terminal "A" of engine coolant fan (bypassing engine coolant fan resistor ) and engine coolant fan will operate at full speed. All other operations that were taking place before coolant temperature reached 230F (110C) will remain in effect. Primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 2 contacts will open when coolant temperature reaches 221F (105C) and primary engine coolant fan will shut off. At coolant temperatures above approximately 230F (110C), all 3 coolant fans are operating at full speed. Only 5 of 6 relays operate at this time, unless air conditioning system is turned on. In this case, fan control relay K87 and A/C compressor relay K60 will also operate.

Engine Cooling Fans (A/C Operation): When A/C compressor is turned on, fan control relay K87 is energized and auxiliary engine coolant fans 1 and 2 will operate in low speed. In order to prevent inadmissible high refrigerant pressure in refrigerant circuit, auxiliary engine coolant fans 1 and 2 are switched from low speed to high speed at refrigerant pressures above approximately 275 psi. When pressure drops less than about 217 psi, auxiliary engine coolant fans 1 and 2 are switched back to low speed.

Water Auxiliary Pump:
    When ignition is off and engine coolant temperature reaches 212F (100C), primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 1 will close, enabling fan control relay K26 to energize. When fan control relay K26 energizes, battery voltage from fuse 52 is applied through normally closed auxiliary water pump relay K22, allowing water auxiliary pump to operate. Fan control relay K26 will also supply battery voltage to engine coolant resistor, allowing voltage to pass through resistor to electric cooling fan. Engine cooling fan resistor will cause engine cooling fan to operate at low speed. When engine coolant temperature reaches 203F (95C), primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 1 will open, de-energizing fan control relay K26. This will turn water auxiliary pump and engine cooling fan off.

The above is not my original write-up but an excerpt that I saved.

Regards.

Thank you again for the colossal amount of help Your relay box does look a little different than mine. Most of your relays on the left and right side are similarly placed, but my relays and fuses in the middle are all mixed up.
    My K22 relay was definitely mis-labeled. I was testing the wrong relay connector because some moron was working on the relays back during the warranty period apparently.
    Anyway, when I probe the connector for K22 all 4 pin locations check out perfectly, but when I put the relay back in and back-probe it, the pin for Aux Water Pump Signal works completely backwards (powers on with key off + fan on, but powers off with key on + fans on). My guess is there is something backwards going on in that relay.
    I tried to get another on from the salvage yard earlier, but I showed up 23 minutes before closing time so they wouldn't let me in because it was too close to closing time, and that's just how Ohio businesses are.
    So I guess I'll have to wait til Monday and get one from a different salvage yard. Hopefully that's all it needs. It sure is strange that the circuit energizes and the pump runs only with the key off.
    Thank you again.

Thank you again for the colossal amount of help Your relay box does look a little different than mine. Most of your relays on the left and right side are similarly placed, but my relays and fuses in the middle are all mixed up.
    My K22 relay was definitely mis-labeled. I was testing the wrong relay connector because some moron was working on the relays back during the warranty period apparently.
    Anyway, when I probe the connector for K22 all 4 pin locations check out perfectly, but when I put the relay back in and back-probe it, the pin for Aux Water Pump Signal works completely backwards (powers on with key off + fan on, but powers off with key on + fans on). My guess is there is something backwards going on in that relay.
    I tried to get another on from the salvage yard earlier, but I showed up 23 minutes before closing time so they wouldn't let me in because it was too close to closing time, and that's just how Ohio businesses are.
    So I guess I'll have to wait til Monday and get one from a different salvage yard. Hopefully that's all it needs. It sure is strange that the circuit energizes and the pump runs only with the key off.
    Thank you again.
    My friend your relay is working as it should,

Water Auxiliary Pump: When ignition is off and engine coolant temperature reaches 212F (100C), primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 1 will close, enabling fan control relay K26 to energize. When fan control relay K26 energizes, battery voltage from fuse 52 is applied through normally closed auxiliary water pump relay K22, allowing water auxiliary pump to operate. Fan control relay K26 will also supply battery voltage to engine coolant resistor, allowing voltage to pass through resistor to electric cooling fan. Engine cooling fan resistor will cause engine cooling fan to operate at low speed. When engine coolant temperature reaches 203F (95C), primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 1 will open, de-energizing fan control relay K26. This will turn water auxiliary pump and engine cooling fan off.

It is there to cool the engine off after you turn the key off and the engine temperature is still high.

This is a complicated logic car. They don't trust that once the car is off that it will naturally cool down

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Oh it will naturally, just not quickly, or efficiently.

Sorry it's been so long since I've responded to this post; been busy.

Since my last post, I've changed both fan switches on the radiator, and the gray relay, orange relay, both green relays, brown relay, yellow relay, and purple relay.... and still the car acts exactly the same. The 1st stage cooling fans do not come on. No fans come on until the temperature gauge is at 3/4. I've followed the GM service manual step by step and every pin and wire has the correct voltage when it should. I don't understand why my fans wont come on when they're supposed to. Any ideas?

Sorry it's been so long since I've responded to this post; been busy.

Since my last post, I've changed both fan switches on the radiator, and the gray relay, orange relay, both green relays, brown relay, yellow relay, and purple relay.... and still the car acts exactly the same. The 1st stage cooling fans do not come on. No fans come on until the temperature gauge is at 3/4. I've followed the GM service manual step by step and every pin and wire has the correct voltage when it should. I don't understand why my fans wont come on when they're supposed to. Any ideas?
    You probably need to look at part 61 which is the temperature sensor and gauge control and I am not sure if it is going to be that easily accessible,

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...01&grouptype=B

Perhaps your gauge sensor is defective. There are threads at Omegaowners forums which indicate that if you had any oil cooler leak in the system that various sensors and switch in the coolant circulation path can get thin oil films and lead to erroneous operation of fans, etc. Fans turning prematurely, late or erratic. I don't know the background or the history if you or previous owner had oil cooler issues along the way.

Easiest thing I will do would be a good engine coolant flush many times over and watch if things improve. There are very good how-tos at the Omegaowners website under maintenance guides.

Good luck.

Thank you again for all your help. I did try a couple engine coolant flushes before I started replacing parts. Didn't seem to make any difference. It did not overheat when I bought it. I've had this car since 2002, and haven't had any indications of leaking oil cooler issues.
    When I read the above thread then looked in the GM manual, I saw that both coolant temp sensors were under both intake manifolds and decided to put it off for a while, but then in an unfortunate twist of irony, i had another heater valve go bad. I've replaced it before and the upper intake has to come off so I'll probably change the coolant temp sensors then. Hopefully I'll have some time later in the week to get the parts and change them.
    I'll keep you updated. Thank you again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.