replacing digital instrument cluster
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, replacing digital instrument cluster in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am installing individual gauges to replace the non-functioning digital dash cluster in my 85 Cimarron. I am attempting to ...
    dougrd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 cimarron

replacing digital instrument cluster

I am installing individual gauges to replace the non-functioning digital dash cluster in my 85 Cimarron. I am attempting to use the existing wiring unplugged from the old cluster but have no colored wiring diagram as yet ie: fuel gauge, speedometer/odometer sending unit, 02 sender wire color, amp, volt....any helpful suggestions would be welcome....thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: replacing digital instrument cluster

Quote Originally Posted by dougrd View Post
    I am installing individual gauges to replace the non-functioning digital dash cluster in my 85 Cimarron. I am attempting to use the existing wiring unplugged from the old cluster but have no colored wiring diagram as yet ie: fuel gauge, speedometer/odometer sending unit, 02 sender wire color, amp, volt....any helpful suggestions would be welcome....thanks in advance.
    Just a guess but how about the gauge cluster from another J-Car (the whole panel)? One from your Cimarron's timeframe might not only fit the dash opening but use the same wiring. You have your choice:

1982–1988 Oldsmobile Firenza
    1982–1989 Buick Skyhawk
    1982–2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
    1982 Pontiac J2000
    1983 Pontiac 2000
    1984 Pontiac 2000 Sunbird
    1985–1994 Pontiac Sunbird

Remember, this is only a guess but it seems logical. Then again we're talking about GM.

This is the second cluster I have installed and still cannot see the display. I've had the car for 7 years and the odometer has never worked. I will keep all options open.....thank you for the info.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

I have pulled the faulty cluster....mounted individual electronic gauges and need to match the sensor wires to the gauges. The wire plug-in to the cluster contains over 20 wires and knowing the color of each sensor wire would sure save alot of time. I have found the "battery+", pwr (ign), left/right turn signals but fuel sensor, speed sensor? Guess I could just try each color that isn't hot and see if the gauge reads what it should. Quite a job, but will "gitter dun".

7. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.