Power Resonator MANTZEL. Did You know about? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Power Resonator MANTZEL. Did You know about? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; elvin, by the way try to isolate the K & N filter tube from the hot air coming from the ...
    CateraIRMSCHERMv6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Re: Power Resonator MANTZEL. Did You know about?

elvin, by the way try to isolate the K & N filter tube from the hot air coming from the engine. I measure the acceleration without it and I was shocked. Changed only the sound and nothing else I closed my K & N filter in the original box and the filter worked better. As for multiram - noticeable increase in speeding up (speed?) Is within 3500RPM (MultiRam bottom) & 4500RPM (inside the intake manifold).
    Resonator makes the engine accelerates better from the bottom of the RPM.
    When mounted resonator, it is necessary to bypass the lower valve multiram. That's all, without any changes.
    ECU does not need programming and mapping. He learns to adapt the air - fuel.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by CateraIRMSCHERMv6 View Post
    elvin, by the way try to isolate the K & N filter tube from the hot air coming from the engine. I measure the acceleration without it and I was shocked. Changed only the sound and nothing else I closed my K & N filter in the original box and the filter worked better. As for multiram - noticeable increase in speeding up (speed?) Is within 3500RPM (MultiRam bottom) & 4500RPM (inside the intake manifold).
    Resonator makes the engine accelerates better from the bottom of the RPM.
    When mounted resonator, it is necessary to bypass the lower valve multiram. That's all, without any changes.
    ECU does not need programming and mapping. He learns to adapt the air - fuel.
    From what you say, the Resonator increases torque at low RPM which is a good this since these engines are weak there but it also means that it reduces power at high RPM. I think the Multi-Ram is better for normal everyday operation over a wider RPM range. There are 2 valves involved. The external on on the plastic intake tubes, and an internal one inside the Intake Plenum. Their purpose is to provide different paths for the inlet air at different RPMs to optimize torque at low RPMs and HP at high RPMs..

A long narrow path accelerates the intake air at low RPM. It's called the Bernoulli Effect. That's good for bottom end torque. But the set-up chokes the intake at high RPM and limits top end HP.

If the intake path is short and wide you get fast air at high RPM. That's good for top end HP, but bad for bottom end torque.

The Multi Ram allows a good compromise across the RPM range. The 2 valves combine to effectively change length and width of the intake path, at set RPM stages, to optimize the airflow into the engine. Removing it leaves you with the internal valve but without the external one the airflow will be compromised.

An intake compressor like a turbo or supercharger shoves air into the engine so it always has fast moving air regardless of RPM. Without one, and minus the Multi Ram, the engine will suffer.

The following diagrams are from the Omega Owners Forum:

================================================== ========================================

I know that my Air Intake is sucking hot air but I read that hot air increases an engine's fuel mileage and cold air increases an engine's power. Right now I need better fuel mileage. I have no proof but I believe the popular K&N type air intake kits can improve performance because they eliminate some intake restriction which helps the Mutli Ram do its stuff. Whether it helps power or torque or mileage I don't know, but I do know that the engine spins quicker and feels more responsive to the throttle. It also makes a growling intake sound that I like. I snatched this picture from ebay. It's not my kit exactly but close. It's about $45 USD plus shipping. The filter isn't K&N. That's $20 USD more.

click

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

As everything else thats aftermarket the sellers claim that this thing increases power and thus you crazy modifiers out there must buy it...

In other words if the folks at Opel felt that some square empty box was not good enouhg so they went throught the trouble to create extra valves and passeges and vacuum solenoids cuz I guess they were bored at work and had had nothing to do and also a bunch of research money they had to blow away anyways.

I have tried the airbox on/off and a custom pipe that goes from the MAF to the throtle bodies and in both cases found power to go down in various spots of the power band...

So I stuck with teh OEM design and I am happy with how and where it makes power.

Now I am sure this box will probably have a sweet peak somewhere at say 3000rpm or higher but in my book the stock system is sufficient for our needs.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    I am sure this box will probably have a sweet peak somewhere at say 3000rpm or higher,...
    You can make a sweet spot with some cheater juice right about then too!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.