Question about A/C not working properly (PLEASE HELP)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Question about A/C not working properly (PLEASE HELP) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1999 Catera and I have an issue with the A/C not getting cool enough. I have evacuated, ...
    bmondo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Question about A/C not working properly (PLEASE HELP)

I have a 1999 Catera and I have an issue with the A/C not getting cool enough. I have evacuated, checked for leaks, and charged the system 2 times now, there are no leaks. What I have noticed is the pressure in the system is to high and that my auxillary fans don't kick on when I turn the A/C on until I rev up the RPM's, once the fans kick on then the pressure goes down. Also when I'm on the highway at high rpm's the air gets cooler than when i am stopped. Can my problem be that the A/C refrigerant pressure switches are bad or is there something else going on. I know the auxilary fans should kick on with in a few seconds of turning on the A/C. Can someone please tell me what I have to do to get my A/C to work properly. Thankyou

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: Question about A/C not working properly (PLEASE HELP)

According to the service manual I have for a 1998, the secondary fans are energized in series (half speed) during A/C operation and will be stepped up to full speed depending on the coolant temp.

Are you sure you have enough coolant in there? I bought one of those do it yourself kits at the auto store and put in all the R134 that came with the kit (two cans) and the A/C was still marginal. I looked up the capacity in the owners manual and it is 2.9 lbs, which is about three cans. I put another can in there (three total) and my A/C is now like a refrigerator, even yesterday when it was 97 here.

What was really deceptive was that I was getting the low side pressure within the range with only two cans. I didn't realize that measuring the low side pressure at idle speed gives you a false reading and the pressure drops as soon as the RPMs increase slightly. If I had a helper, I would have had him slightly rev the engine while I was filling.

Barry

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Does the A/C clutch kick in when you turn the A/C on? I had the same issue when the A/C clutch does not work, it shows high pressure but once it kick in it comes to normal range. I had an issue with the pressure switch, a lose connection. Once I cleaned the connectors on the wire that goes to the pressure switch the clutch began to work properly.

You can rev the engine up by yourself when filling the refrigerant in the A/C system. Just hold down the lever by the throttle body. This will only work for the 97-98 models.

Thanks.

bmondo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

I did charge one time at home, but when it wasn't right I took it to my friends garage and did it on his machine 2 times and I filled it to whatever the sticker under the hood said. whan I overcharged at home the compressor would'nt kick on until i let some of the coolant out. At the garage the pressure was too high until the aux fans kicked on then the pressure went down but still wasn't cool enough. I heard that the A/C in the catera wasn't to good but from what you are saying it is great and hearing that is giving me hope. Thankyou investor74 for your reply you gave me hope that it will work good and blow really cold air like I'm looking for. If anyone else has any feedback that would be great

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by bmondo View Post
    I did charge one time at home, but when it wasn't right I took it to my friends garage and did it on his machine 2 times and I filled it to whatever the sticker under the hood said. whan I overcharged at home the compressor would'nt kick on until i let some of the coolant out. At the garage the pressure was too high until the aux fans kicked on then the pressure went down but still wasn't cool enough. I heard that the A/C in the catera wasn't to good but from what you are saying it is great and hearing that is giving me hope. Thankyou investor74 for your reply you gave me hope that it will work good and blow really cold air like I'm looking for. If anyone else has any feedback that would be great
    Do you get any squeaking belt slipping type noises?

May be worthwhile checking the condition and tension present in the auxiliary drive belt (serpentine belt). There is no tension adjustment but you can check for deflection of the belt between the tensioner and the generator and perhaps at the top as well as the one section between Power steering pulley and AC pulley.

Hope it gives you some ideas or is helpful.

Cadi Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

I would inspect or replace your heater control/bypass valve and see if that makes a differance. Also check the vacuum line. It's suppose to limit coolant to the heater core when the a/c is on or the entire climate control is off. Your climate control system may be blowing a/c through a heated heater core reducing how much cold air you're getting inside the car. You can get one off e-bay for $35 and some change. It's a common part to fail but mostly it usually will leak coolant. I had just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago.

dulcechristo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 catera

the valve by the coolant reservoir is the high side, right? if you follow the line down where do you find the low side? also, the valve by the coolant reservoir, at least on mine, won't fit the clamp on the r-134 hose that i have. is it the old style clamp?

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Are you talking about the green cap valve that has a tag on it that says 1psi?

the green cap with 1psi is for something else, right? i was trying to find the low valve for the ac

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Yeah, the green cap is fuel line. I think the other valve for AC is by the radiator?

The low side valve is by the brake fluid reservoir.

ok, thanks for the reply retho. i thought that was the high side and they say not to charge from there but i'm just going to put it in that port and cross my fingers.

car is nice and cold so i guess that was the right port.

The high side is by the radiator and home refill kit won't go into the high side. I refilled mine on the low side with do it yourself kit and the AC is nice and cold.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.