98 Catera, oil pressure issue.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 98 Catera, oil pressure issue. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I'm having a new issue with my catera. The oil pressure shows about 60PSI in the morning (cold engine), ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

98 Catera, oil pressure issue.

Hi,

I'm having a new issue with my catera. The oil pressure shows about 60PSI in the morning (cold engine), then when it gets hot the pressure drops to about half way or less while driving. When I come to a stop or traffic light it drops down right to the first white line (I think it is 10PSI) if I'm reading it right. I have also seen the oil gauge light (red) come on and turn off right away during a normal idle, this happened at two occasions. Could it be the oil pressure switch, the one below the pulleys by the oil pan area? I have 10W-30 oil right now with 92000K miles. In additon, the weather in Oklahoma is about 96F-97F for the past week or so.

I have attached pictures, so you can see what I talking about. I was also able to snap the picture whenthe light came one. Pictures are from my phone so may or may not be that clear.

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...=Photo0049.jpg

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...Photo0050.jpg&

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...Photo0052.jpg&

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...Photo0053.jpg&

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Re: 98 Catera, oil pressure issue.

Unfortunately I have to say join the club...About 5 other members have or have had the same issue, not including myself. Though a member has replaced the switch with a positive experience. Others have trumped the issue by adding 2qtz of Rotella 15W-40. Any GM Tech will tell you its a failing oil pump (expensive). No 100% resolution to this yet.

What does the 15W40 oil do, will it help to have a steady pressure? Can I get any 15W40 and add it or does it have to be the rotella brand?lf I change the oil to full synthetic will it help it in anyways?

where does this oil switch go? I saw this at rockauto.com
    Attached Images

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    where does this oil switch go? I saw this at rockauto.com
    What year is your Catera?

The switches are different for different years and I have seen at least three different types in the posts and the one that I changed in my Catera 2001 Base model. My level and level indication responsiveness remarkably changed for the better when I changed my 2 Pin switch with Guage/Light for my Catera. No more lights or pressure going to red zone.

Cheers.

PS: Seeing your picture if the needle never went below 20 PSI, the light should not come on. The light should set at a range as in the following post,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...oh-nooo-3.html

Mine is a 1998. I know there is one oil pressure sender in the front of the engine but was not sure where other one (oil switch) goes. If you see in one of the pictures I posted, there is a red light at 20PSI or 10PSI, not sure how you read it on the gauge. This happened twice on a hot day like today 97F. The light just came on and went off, so not sure why it does that.

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    Mine is a 1998. I know there is one oil pressure sender in the front of the engine but was not sure where other one (oil switch) goes. If you see in one of the pictures I posted, there is a red light at 20PSI or 10PSI, not sure how you read it on the gauge. This happened twice on a hot day like today 97F. The light just came on and went off, so not sure why it does that.
    retho78 my friend I got to thank you first. I got my switch from Dennis. What a wonderful person and helpful with eBay handle of "dpart1122". I thank you first for suggesting this seller.

I ran through this thing last summer and my experience was that momentarily the pressure indication will hit near the top of the red zone and near 10 PSI in your scale. When you rev up to drive away or otherwise the light will go away. I believe 3 consecutive instances set the light on till you turn off your car. Then the light is not there when you restart.

If your pressure is shown steady above 20 PSI which is the last white line just below the needle in your pictures, there is no reason for pressure light to be set and a potential bad switch/sensor in my mind.

If you go to Compnine site you should be able to see the locations. The type you have shown in your post I believe is shown to be on the block just behind the alternator but I did not have one on my Catera 2001. I don't believe there would be two deployed but best is to check right of the crankshaft at the front or right behind the alternator.

Cheers.

You're welcome! He is a really good guy, I have bought several parts for him and he is willing to help and get the parts at a reasonable price. How much did you pay for the oil pressure sender? I'm thinking to either clean up the one on my car and see if it will make any difference. If not, then contact Dennis and get a new one and try it out.

I'll check and see if there is one in the back of the alternator. I know fo rsure there is one in the front and it is bigger size sensor. When you replaced yours in the front did you have to drain the oil first?

I could not find it in compnine.com regarding the other oil pressure switch.

Parts 29 and 59 are what you're looking for I think. Found them on the 97 which should be identical

USEDCAT- Did you change the switch with gauge or with light?

Quote Originally Posted by Matera97 View Post
    USEDCAT- Did you change the switch with gauge or with light?
    Matera97 I changed mine with the following,

- 90566938 SENSOR,ENG OIL PRESS GA(2 PIN CONNECTOR)

It was identical to what I had on the front just right and below the crankshaft pulley area.

retho78 as far as draining the oil, I did not. My car was stationary for a while and I was working on the serpentine belt. So I took off the bottom plastic cover below the pulleys and it is secured by basic screws in more or less 4 corners. The front OPS was very accessible. When I unscrewed it with a wrench, there was a trickle of oil out of the hole. I let it drip for a while, and it fell on top of the Oil Pan area. I then wiped it out of there. Cleaned the area around where the new OPS will go and just tightened it and reconnected the electrical connector.

Looking at the connector you can basically tell which of the three types is needed.

My understanding is per attached pictures for at least two types.

Cheers.

PS: It has also been noted by someone in the other thread that for the 98 type OPS, the terminal wire was corroded that a terminal gets screwed onto a post. A cleaning and re-connection fixed their OPS. In case it helps and definitely for retho78's consideration.
    Attached Images

USEDCAT- the first picture of the oil pressure sender (silver color) looks like the one I may need. First, let me check on the connectors and do a little cleaning and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

I see the other oil pressure switch in the diagram, part number 59 and looks like it's an internal part by the oil pump area. Could it also be the engine oil level sensor (part number 19), that may be acting up?

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...00&grouptype=B

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.