98 Catera, oil pressure issue. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 98 Catera, oil pressure issue. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by pedrazamarcos Can You please post more pictures with the NEW Oil pressure switch to see if you ...
    USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: 98 Catera, oil pressure issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pedrazamarcos View Post
    Can You please post more pictures with the NEW Oil pressure switch to see if you have the same readings?Acording to your gauge you have around 22-21 psi and the minimun specs are 21.7. Is time for Thicker or Synthetic oil.
    Just to add to retho78's answer, the reading is perfect. The gauges and sensors have tolerances and there is no need to get to o hyper about these.

The important part is to ensure that you are not in the danger zone which for Catera based on sensors GM has put in these is way below the nominal idle 21 PSI and is as follows,

Nominal Setting of Low Pressure light setting: 5.80150952 PSI or 40.00024784 KPa

Because of the range it could set at: (7.97707559 ->3.62594345 PSI) or (55.00034078 ->25.0001549 KPa)

Hope the above clarifies.

I highly recommend having tried it that you do not use Fully Synthetic on the older cars as with wear and tear the extra clean engine may not necessarily work any better if not worse. Slightly heavier oil or the recommended 10W-30 seem to work well.

Just my 2 cents if it help.

Regards.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I use 10W-30 oil. I may try a thicker oil during the next oil change or may add some lucas oil stabilizer.

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Retho, how difficult was it to get to the sender? Was pan removal required?

The sender is the one below the pulleys (the one that sticks out right below the sepertine belt), the switch is internal by the oil pump and I didn't mess with it. I just cleaned the sender, also when I did this I noticed some oil on the wire that plugs into the sender. I'm thinking this might have caused the pressure to not to read accurately.

I'm gonna have to add that to my list of a thousand things to do.

If you crawl under the car you will see it. I raised mine on the jack on both sides, so not much oil would come out when taking the sender out. Then I used a paper towel under the sender while taking off ,so the oil that comes out will fall on to the paper (makes less mess). Also, I had to use one of those thin flare wrench sockets to get the sender off.

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    If you crawl under the car you will see it. I raised mine on the jack on both sides, so not much oil would come out when taking the sender out. Then I used a paper towel under the sender while taking off ,so the oil that comes out will fall on to the paper (makes less mess). Also, I had to use one of those thin flare wrench sockets to get the sender off.
    retho78 were you good for the oil pressure/warning through little bit of this heat wave? I did not have a chance to drive much so asking in that context.

Thanks.

There hasn't been much of heat wave after this oil pressure incident and clean up. So far the outside temperature has been between 85-90 compared to 95-98 two weeks ago. I have been driving around and so far no problems. Everything is working good.

Yeah, mine seems to happen everytime I'm out for more than an hour. As soon as my cooling fan turns on, oil pressure just drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Matera97 View Post
    Yeah, mine seems to happen everytime I'm out for more than an hour. As soon as my cooling fan turns on, oil pressure just drops.
    Matera97 this is one of the easiest repair if you can safely work under the car. Just take four screws off from the plastic shield under the engine and look just to the right of the crankshaft, there it is. I used an adjustable open wrench took it out and put the new one in (in your case it may be worthwhile cleaning and reconnecting per retho78 experience), and you may have a solution and one less nag from your car.

Cheers.

Yeah, give it try and hopefully it will fix your oil pressure issue. Like USEDCAT said, this is an easy fix. Mine works fine even after the fan kicks in. I used some sensor cleaning spray and cleaned the sensor, the sensor connectors and the wires.

Yeah, I've done my serp belt, no plastic shield, so half the work is already done lol.

I don't have the plastic shield either. You don't to mess with the serpentine belt because the oil pressure sender is below all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    I don't have the plastic shield either. You don't to mess with the serpentine belt because the oil pressure sender is below all of that.
    My car must be the real european version as they never drip oil

The oil collects on their plastic shields

How does oil collect in the plastic shiel? My catera had one before, but got lost somehow when it was in the shop. This was a very long time ago ,so don't remember exactly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.