mech. question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, mech. question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, so the catera is at the garage. the guy dertermined that one of the ignition coils was bad ...
    hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

mech. question

Hey guys, so the catera is at the garage. the guy dertermined that one of the ignition coils was bad so he replaced it and insisted on replacing the 3 plugs even though they are ngk and only 3 months old. then he replaced all 6 plugs with the $10 a pop ones! then I asked for an a/c check cause there was no air, he replaced a nipple and is charging me for a full recharge and die test and the power switch is still leaking I guess... aint there a way to test without charging me for a full freon charge? then he said that bank 2 o2 sensor reading low, yet its not setting an engine light, and says only option is a $270 o2 sensor... he said the coolant is coming from timing cover and said would need waterpump, Im ok with that. so anyway.. He told me that It would be 300 to get it running and when I went in today he shows me a $602 bill! for plugs 1 ignition coil and diog on the a/c

Im a lil set off right now.. I think he is ripping me off.. and I never approved more than $300.. and the dude is giving me a headach.. not setting things up with the warranty company.. and making me feel like Im robing him of time!

Now he quoted me $70 and hr, but wants $90 for the warranty company... and get this, then he tells me he dont take c/c and wont take a personaly check.. Im so over this dude, but the warranty states once the claim is open the car has to remain there untill fixed.. I am frustrated!

I really want to rant.. when did the economy get so good that no one wants to work.. Or when Im supposed to pey 70 an hr, Im made to feel guilty he is working on the car..

BTW whats the book time on a t/b tentioners and w/p he says 4 hrs, I thought it was less..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Re: mech. question

I thought it was 3. Thats messed up dude. An A/C recharge should only be $60. Thats what I pay.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Legally a mechanic cannot fix (therefore charge) you for something you did not approve, something to keep in mind. Look up the law in your state, print it off, and take it in. Otherwise he's just going to say "Yeah, well that's not what the law really says,..." an bs you. If he decides to "undo" his work, for lack of better terms, i believe the car has to be in the state that it was when you brought it to him. Don't quote me on this though.

hey guys, just a lil update.

I did find out that I can get a form from the dmv and file a complaint, I am doing that. I have not yet, cause I wanted to give him a lil time. But I got the car back, and paid the $542 for left coil, plugs and a/c charge, dye test.. outragious.. right!!! and worse, the car still has the same stalling and rough idol problme, intermitten, but still same problem I had!! im set off. but I Emailed him yesterday and told him to reply as to how he wanted to resolve it, he did not reply, so I am going to get a diog from somone I know that has a shop, that actually did some work to the car already.
    I think i will be able to get a full refund once i file the complaint with the NYS DMV. That was really rubbing salt in the wound when I got home and the car did the same thing I took it for! wow.. some people. The sad thing is this dude only works on cadillacs, and he has a 01 catera himself!
    you would think he knew what he was doing and would take pride in it being a catera. He did make comment on how nice the car was, and how he really like the quality way I had the rear suspention replaced!

If that guy commented on how nice your rear suspension was it tells me he is not even mechanical enough to have taken the time to do his. =/ Time to find a new mechanic.

yeah. i am not going to him again. the only reson I went Is I was refered there by the only cadillac dealer in rochester .. and they didnt want to work with the warranty... He was not a good person. I took the car elsewhere to somone I know today for a diog.. its still got every problem last guy said he fixed, plus a host of other issues. So Im taking it to the gm dealer for a diog. the car will not stay running and is misfireing really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hgqguy View Post
    yeah. i am not going to him again. the only reson I went Is I was refered there by the only cadillac dealer in rochester .. and they didnt want to work with the warranty... He was not a good person. I took the car elsewhere to somone I know today for a diog.. its still got every problem last guy said he fixed, plus a host of other issues. So Im taking it to the gm dealer for a diog. the car will not stay running and is misfireing really bad.
    Have you tried replacing your MAF sensor?

the car currantly has misfires on 1,2,4,5,6 and it is haveing tps issues as well as incorrect reading with mass air flow sens.

On the last diog, there were no issues with mas, and tps, so since the plugs and 2,4,6 ignition coil was replaced yet sitll misfiring, the mechanic I know sugjested I take it to gm. He said since the battery was disconected tha may have caused issues, cause its worse now than befor I had any work done.

he said there is an update for the car a few years back, and he wante to be sure the computer is all correct befor we jsut start spending gobs of money on parts.. he has an idea that its the body control modual.. I think ..

If you read other posts I have it explaines more details.. there is just so much info to type..

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by hgqguy View Post
    the car currantly has misfires on 1,2,4,5,6 and it is haveing tps issues as well as incorrect reading with mass air flow sens.

On the last diog, there were no issues with mas, and tps, so since the plugs and 2,4,6 ignition coil was replaced yet sitll misfiring, the mechanic I know sugjested I take it to gm. He said since the battery was disconected tha may have caused issues, cause its worse now than befor I had any work done.

he said there is an update for the car a few years back, and he wante to be sure the computer is all correct befor we jsut start spending gobs of money on parts.. he has an idea that its the body control modual.. I think ..

If you read other posts I have it explaines more details.. there is just so much info to type..
    Sorry to hear this. Certainly your mechanic does not have much of a clue from the comments that he made and that you have posted.

What year and model (base or sport) is your car?

I will then try to find the right diagnosis or start-up or learn information after extended battery removal. I am time limited but will try to help if I can.

Cheers.

PS: Missing updates don't cause piston backfires given we are sitting with 10+ year old cars which have been probably running well with ECU programming in place for most of these years.

Im taking the car to the GM dealer tuesday for a complete diognostic. We are thinking that its the body controll modual.. Im not for sure. I will post when the dealer gives me diognostic.

Its a 2000 catera sport.

new plugs, left coil, TB cleaning, catalytic converters, fuel filter, FI treatment coolant, tranny service, among other non engine updates.

I am not getting a check engine light.

so I wanted to update, the car is at the gm dealer, they say its aok. they cleaned the o2 sensors, reprogramed the pcm and say they cant get the problems to surface i was having. I will get car monday, and see how it goes..

What is the pcm? power controll modual?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.