1998 problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 1998 problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, so new user here and have just started to get going with my Catera's issues. First off I had ...
    baawbkun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

1998 problems

Ok, so new user here and have just started to get going with my Catera's issues. First off I had the problem of not wanting to start or it stalling (replaced the crankshaft position sensor first) which went away for maybe an hour or so. Drove through a big puddle (road lake) and it wanted to halt but didn't. After a few days of normal usage I got to the not wanting to start problem again.

Now it only starts when it wants to and rarely halts (good sign). Well I took it to Firestone just today and they said it was a fuel pump/filter problem (also claimed it was misfiring on 1 plug FYI they wanted to do a $1.5k tune-up because of it).

I come here asking for advice and well a little info on what you all think could be wrong. I am going to replace the fuel filter myself. Any clue on where exactly it is as I couldn't find it on the passenger side of the car? So after that if it's still acting up most likely its the pump correct?

PS: It also sometimes doesn't even want to start to begin to crank (turn the key and nothing) but thats VERY rare.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Re: 1998 problems

Quote Originally Posted by baawbkun View Post
    Ok, so new user here and have just started to get going with my Catera's issues. First off I had the problem of not wanting to start or it stalling (replaced the crankshaft position sensor first) which went away for maybe an hour or so. Drove through a big puddle (road lake) and it wanted to halt but didn't. After a few days of normal usage I got to the not wanting to start problem again.

Now it only starts when it wants to and rarely halts (good sign). Well I took it to Firestone just today and they said it was a fuel pump/filter problem (also claimed it was misfiring on 1 plug FYI they wanted to do a $1.5k tune-up because of it).

I come here asking for advice and well a little info on what you all think could be wrong. I am going to replace the fuel filter myself. Any clue on where exactly it is as I couldn't find it on the passenger side of the car? So after that if it's still acting up most likely its the pump correct?

PS: It also sometimes doesn't even want to start to begin to crank (turn the key and nothing) but thats VERY rare.
    I had issues of mis-firing and all under moisture and some times heavy rain. I was suggested by a Service Advisor to look for bad sealing of DIS modules (in my case for 2001 Catera the engine coils sit directly on the plugs and no plug wires.

I resealed using GM dielectric grease around the mating plastic surfaces and re-tightened plastic modules and touch wood never had the issue again.

Hope it triggers some ideas.

PS: Replacing the fuel filter is a great idea and I plan to change mine too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.