Idler Control Valve
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Idler Control Valve in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just had my engine replaced, 97 Catera. Used engine, with 73000 miles. The repair shop took a month to remove ...
    xanax06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

Question Idler Control Valve

Just had my engine replaced, 97 Catera. Used engine, with 73000 miles. The repair shop took a month to remove and install the new engine.
    I got it back, the 1st day I drove it, Check Engine light comes on, and it runs very warm, unless I turn the A/C on..????

Now the guy says I need this Idler Control Valve, it's making the idle to high, says that's why it's running hotter than usual.
    Is this dude full of shit or what? $250 for the new valve. Not included in my financing. Is there a way to test the Valve?

Opinions please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CateraIRMSCHERMv6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Re: Idler Control Valve

Hello from Poland
    You can clean idler control valve inside. Try to replace for the test with someone, that' best way You can do. Idler control valve working or not working and the engine cuts out if You try to stop. $250 funny guy. I think You have problem with vacuum system. Can be incorrectly plugged the wires?
    I hope you understand my translator

Now the repair guy found the new part, wants $500 for it.
    I told him to go fuck his self.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by xanax06 View Post
    Now the repair guy found the new part, wants $500 for it.
    I told him to go fuck his self.
    xanax06 can you please provide information on the replacement engine,

- what year (specially if you have the VIN of the donor vehicle that the engine came out of)?
    - This will determine correct part numbers including info on the IAC if it is involved
    - what vehicle (base or support)

Here is a link for the complete IAC rebuild guide that is if your IAC is of the type shown in that guide,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...step-step.html

There is a guy who shows an IAC rebuild for a different IAC which may be applicable if the above is not applicable to your case.

It is very likely that either some vacuum hoses or some electrical solenoid connections have not been properly configured. I have been trying very hard to find a post in this forum as well at OmegaOwners forum in the UK where the gentleman had similar symptoms and did a visual check and noticed some electrical wire connector extremely stretched. He conjectured that there has to be an error of connection as the wiring usually have some slack when connected. He changed those connections and double checked the wiring and everything became good for him. An example of incorrect routing may be that IAC valve is open when it should be closed and closed when it should be open. Big issues if that is how it is connected.

It appears that your mec is taking you on a bit of wild goose chase. The problem is this is your money.

If I come across the post I have been thinking of I will provide further input.

Cheers.

Thanks USEDCAT, great thread. May have just saved me $500.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

hey guys.. Im not sure if its the same thing or not, but I found a brand new Throttle position sensor for like 40 on ebay here in the states.. fits 97-98 catera! I bouth it for 01 and its not correct due to electronic tb from 99-01. maybe this helps. I belive the part also fits a kia spectra.. and a few others. search catera throttle on ebay!

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by xanax06 View Post
    Thanks USEDCAT, great thread. May have just saved me $500.
    xanax06 I finally came across the post that I wanted to bring your attention to,

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaB...itle=PostReply

Read this thread as even though the person is talking about different engines things are very similar in Catera with Europen roots.

Cheers.

It says Im not allowed to be there.

Doh I had to join the forum to see it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.