Oil Pressure Switch - CONFUSED?!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Oil Pressure Switch - CONFUSED?! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I'm trying to replace my oil pressure switch but upon calling the parts counter, they asked me if ...
    frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Oil Pressure Switch - CONFUSED?!

Hey guys,

I'm trying to replace my oil pressure switch but upon calling the parts counter, they asked me if the oil pressure gauge is with light or with gauge... ?????

Anyone know which I need?

These are also what is listed for my car (2001 Cadillac Catera Sport) in rockauto.com ... so u guys get the idea:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PS321 More Info
    WITH LIGHT

AIRTEX Part # 1S6715 More Info {#55354378, 8903360390, 90507539, PS343}
    W/Light, (1 Blade Term.); w/Light

ACDELCO Part # D1831A More Info {#55354378, 90507539}
    SWITCH,ENG OIL PRESS IND

AIRTEX Part # 1S6745 More Info {#90566938, PS392}
    W/Gauge, (2 Pins); w/Gauge
    * Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days

As you can see...one is displayed with light while one is displayed with gauge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Oil Pressure Switch - CONFUSED?!

The gauge sending unit is a variable resistor which changes value with oil pressure changes. It "moves the needle" if you have one.

The light switch unit is a simple low pressure (10 psi ??) on/off switch which turns an "Idiot light" - the little oil can icon (?) - on and off depending on oil pressure.

Hmm.... anyone know where I can locate the oil pressure switch? I've located the gauge sending unit for the oil pressure gauge needle (at the front of the engine) ... but I'm guessing my problem is most likely the oil pressure switch that triggers the oil can light.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by frmg0014 View Post
    Hmm.... anyone know where I can locate the oil pressure switch? I've located the gauge sending unit for the oil pressure gauge needle (at the front of the engine) ... but I'm guessing my problem is most likely the oil pressure switch that triggers the oil can light.
    If I am not mistaken there is only one oil pressure sensor/switch on a Catera 2001 just to the right of the crankshaft pulley. It is rather expensive and if your Oil Pressure indications are good and the mounting looks dry (no Oil marks where it is installed), then perhaps may not be an item at issue. Just some thoughts.

The oil pressure switch is of the type 2 pins with gauge.

Hope it helps.

sdevans2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Would the Oil Pressure Switch be located in the same place on a 98 Catera.

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post
    If I am not mistaken there is only one oil pressure sensor/switch on a Catera 2001 just to the right of the crankshaft pulley. It is rather expensive and if your Oil Pressure indications are good and the mounting looks dry (no Oil marks where it is installed), then perhaps may not be an item at issue. Just some thoughts.

The oil pressure switch is of the type 2 pins with gauge.

Hope it helps.

Yup, I have seen this piece... its a fat circular sensor at the front of the engine by the pulley. Pretty easy to get to from underneath and very visible. So I guess this is the sensor that is responsible for displaying the pressure on the instrument cluster and as well as triggering the oil light?

May be I should stand corrected for Catera 2001 as Compnine is showing two "Oil Pressure" related parts in the following,

h**p://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=1&year=2001&artnbr=OV00-007&artsfx=NULL&supplgroup=60&catcode=65V&modelcod e=V&makecode=K&modelseries=VA&uid=1&modelid=114757 7585&capuid=1&majorgroup=00&grouptype=B

These being the following,

55354378 SWITCH,ENG OIL PRESS IND(ACDelco #D1831A)
    90566938 SENSOR,ENG OIL PRESS GA(2 PIN CONNECTOR)

I am going to double visual check tomorrow and try to confirm location of Part Number 55354378. The Fat One (90566938) is definitely where we all agree on.

Regards.

PS: Catera 1998 can be checked and confirmed through same methodology but mine being 2001 I won't be able to visually confirm it myself for the 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by USEDCAT View Post
    May be I should stand corrected for Catera 2001 as Compnine is showing two "Oil Pressure" related parts in the following,

h**p://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=1&year=2001&artnbr=OV00-007&artsfx=NULL&supplgroup=60&catcode=65V&modelcod e=V&makecode=K&modelseries=VA&uid=1&modelid=114757 7585&capuid=1&majorgroup=00&grouptype=B

These being the following,

55354378 SWITCH,ENG OIL PRESS IND(ACDelco #D1831A)
    90566938 SENSOR,ENG OIL PRESS GA(2 PIN CONNECTOR)

I am going to double visual check tomorrow and try to confirm location of Part Number 55354378. The Fat One (90566938) is definitely where we all agree on.

Regards.

PS: Catera 1998 can be checked and confirmed through same methodology but mine being 2001 I won't be able to visually confirm it myself for the 1998.

Thanks... can u also let me the location of the other one (switch) when u get a chance to check it out. I really appreciate this.

Do u think that these sensors work with one another meaning that if the oil gauge goes to the red zone it will trigger the switch for the red oil can? Or if the switch triggers (red oil can), the gauge will react as well by dropping to the red zone?

2001 Cadillac Catera 90566938: Oil Pressure Sensor with Gauge (2 Pins)

This sensor has two pins and a keyed socket (the connector only fits one way)

Pin 1: 0.4 (+/- 0.15 Bar) Low Pressure Light

Nominal Setting of Low Pressure light: 5.80150952 PSI or 40.00024784 KPa

Because of the range it could set at: (7.97707559 ->3.62594345 PSI) or (55.00034078 ->25.0001549 KPa)

Pin 2: Provides normal Oil Pressure Gauge Input between 0 --> 5 Bar

Hence it will provide Gauge reading from (0 --> 72.518869 PSI) or (0 -->500.003098 KPa)

I think this kind of what has also actually shown up on my Catera 2001 as well. Whether there is another safety Pressure Switch for Low pressure indication, I have not confirmed yet.

Hope it helps.

PS: Converting pressure between various measurements

1 Bar = 14.5037738 PSI = 100.0006196 KPa

gunther1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

On my 98' the sensor has a clip on wire plug and a wire going to a post via a nut. This wire held on by the nut is the ground I assume and was loose onmy car causing the light to come on when stopping and the wire moved away from the ground. after replacing the nut the light works as it should. The pressure gauge worked fine the whole time.

Might want to try cleaning that wire first.

Quote Originally Posted by gunther1000 View Post
    On my 98' the sensor has a clip on wire plug and a wire going to a post via a nut. This wire held on by the nut is the ground I assume and was loose onmy car causing the light to come on when stopping and the wire moved away from the ground. after replacing the nut the light works as it should. The pressure gauge worked fine the whole time.

Might want to try cleaning that wire first.
    Gunther1000 thanks.

They did however change the sensors between 1998 and the 2001 models.

The 1998 being 1 pin for screw on terminal. The 2001 OPS has two pins in the socket and has low pressure and normal gauge operation within the same device.

Cheers
    Attached Images

Thanks... can u also let me the location of the other one (switch) when u get a chance to check it out. I really appreciate this.

Do u think that these sensors work with one another meaning that if the oil gauge goes to the red zone it will trigger the switch for the red oil can? Or if the switch triggers (red oil can), the gauge will react as well by dropping to the red zone?
    frmg0014 as promised, I looked pretty thoroughly today as took the bottom plastic shield off. There is only 1 Oil Pressure Switch/Sensor in the 2001 Catera Base Model.

I replaced it today and the change was positive potentially solving my Low Pressure indication issues.

The part number for my car was the following,

- 90566938 SENSOR,ENG OIL PRESS GA(2 PIN CONNECTOR)

Good luck to you too.

Cheers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.