OMFG Help!!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, OMFG Help!!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Make sure you have the tensioner down as far as you can get it, and i always slide it on ...
    AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Re: OMFG Help!!!!

Make sure you have the tensioner down as far as you can get it, and i always slide it on the w/p last, as it doesn't have a lip or groves. Make sure it's sitting nice in all the other pulleys to give you a little more slack.

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Well see thats the thing, the tensioner won't move...Or I'm not sure how to move it I should say (first serp belt replacement). I guess to afraid to brake anything else in the process.

fuzzkill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Put the box end of the wrench or ratchet over the bolt holding the pulley on. It will spring one way giving more slack so you can slip on the belt and then remove the wrench.

I don't think it's reverse thread on these cars ... but just put the wrench on like you were going to tighten the bolt and it should spring over. If it doesn't move freely or doesn't spring back on its own you might need to replace the tensioner assembly. Which is pretty simple as well, just 2 or 3 bolts.

well, I know the actual shank with the threading, springs in and out. but I was unable to move the pulley itself. Maybe just not applying enought pressure. Well, anyways my day was ruined by spring downpours. will be back at it tomorrow.

All right, so first off, was using wrong tool for moving tensioner, 7" ratchet. Changed to the braker bar, tensioner moves. So than I ran into a problem that the part store gave me a common 3.0L GM/Saab belt. Was about an inch to short, got the right one, took 10 min to install.

AwfulSmokey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Catera

Glad to see you got it done with minimal issues.

Yeah, its my first ever serp install so I guess it went okay, probably take me 30 min in total to do it again. The air injection crossover pipe is the biggest pain, always in the way, and the compressor hose support is a pain getting to, but all in all once you've done it, its actually a small job. I'm not sure how much more difficult it would be on a 2000+ model with the extended plenum. Probably the same!

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Matera97 View Post
    Yeah, its my first ever serp install so I guess it went okay, probably take me 30 min in total to do it again. The air injection crossover pipe is the biggest pain, always in the way, and the compressor hose support is a pain getting to, but all in all once you've done it, its actually a small job. I'm not sure how much more difficult it would be on a 2000+ model with the extended plenum. Probably the same!
    Matera I am little stuck on my 2001 Catera base model. I need to replace the serpentine belt. I want to do it without getting under the car.

If you were able to do it this way can you please provide 1, 2 or 3 steps what you disconnected and where. I cannot disconnect the Bracket from the alternator bolt from above and alternator bolt and screw is seized pretty tight.

Thank you.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

No worries I changed the serpentine belt yesterday by getting under the car and removing the plastic shield under the front. Two nuts need to be removed to allow the belt to bypass the secondary air injection pipe and the AC piping. On a second time around it will be tops 30 minutes for me.

By the way I installed an overdrive generator pulley (1.7" versus the standard 2.21" to improve the idle performance for the generator/battery under fan loads (the cooling fans for the radiator and the cabin blower motor). I know it may rob me some power but haven't noticed much yet. When more complete results I will document for others consideration if they choose. I had to use a slightly shorter serpentine belt to cover for smaller pulley.

Regards.

Yeah, I think that was the belt that I originally purchased. But because I put the original pulley on, I needed that extra 3/4" of belt length.

HoffmansCaddi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

The belt autozone had wouldnt fit my car. It looked like the grooves where too deep to fit into the grooved pulleys. I got a Napa one and it fit fine?

There are at least 2 different belts for the GM 3.0 L81. The differences are the tracks, length, and cost. The actual one for the catera is like $20 more. lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.