Transmission problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By ~DIRTY~
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Transmission problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi I have a 98 Catera I recently bought.It wont shift it gets up to like 25mph and wont shift.Reverse ...
    sikcat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Catera

Transmission problems

Hi I have a 98 Catera I recently bought.It wont shift it gets up to like 25mph and wont shift.Reverse works fine.It has trouble codes p0730,p1870,and p1700.I got it on a lift and the transmission looked like it was leaking really bad so I pulled the pan replaced the gasket and filter.Then I filled it up with trans fluid reset the codes but it still does the same thing.I want to know if this could be anything electrical or if there is anything else I should check before replacing the transmission.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Re: Transmission problems

Do the PRND321 lights all light up? I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record when I say this but it could be your Neutral Park Safety switch

sikcat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Catera

Yes they all light up.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Do you watch your temp gauge? Does it ever go up past the half hash when this happens? Matera is right, if it is electrical it could very likely be your netural safety "/range selector/ or whatever else you want to call it" switch or you might have a bad temp switch causing the fluid to get too hot. Those are your two hopeful outcomes. Otherwise you're most likely looking at a new unit.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...neutral+switch

~DIRTY~ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

could the neutral safety switch be bad even if the lights are working fine?

It's worth a shot. =/

~DIRTY~ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

so i should try replacing the switch even if the lights seem ok? also where is this temp switch in question.... the water control valve went right around the time this issue came back with a vengance. i have noticed the cars temp. gauge never goes over half way BUT has been warming up to halfway Faster than usual like within 1 mile. I replaced the valve but tranny light seems to be here to stay... where is this temp switch.. il try to fix it and the neutral safety switch, before replacing the whole damn thing.. by the way....thanks for comenting on here and replying to posts..... because of people like you , i have saved thousands on repairs due to this forum
    purify100 and purify100 like this.

The temp sensor i am mentioning would just be the normal one connected at the radiator, if the temp doesn't go past half i wouldn't see that being the problem. I would try your neutral safety switch and then go from there. As far as your car warming up so much faster, have you replaced your thermostat? That could be your culprit. Let us know what you find out.

radar2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi everyone.

Any update if this addressed any of these issues?

Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.