Perminant fix for catera wont crank when hot!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Perminant fix for catera wont crank when hot!!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok well like a lot of people on here I have been having the problem were once my catera warms ...
    kbreudi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Perminant fix for catera wont crank when hot!!!!

Ok well like a lot of people on here I have been having the problem were once my catera warms up, i park and run in a store or get gas real quik, i come out and no crank at all....all electrical works, but nothing on the starter.

Many have replaced starters and batters and wires and still no solution...untill now!

Here is the problem:

Ok when you turn you key over to the start postion to start the car you ignition switch sends a 12v current to your startes seliniod. This is done by a black/red wire that runs under the dash and up the steering colomn. Now once you turn the key over current should flow from the ignition, through the wire to the neutral saftety switch (called the automatic transmision range switch). If the car is in park or neutral is then lets current pass right to the starter seleniod.

Ok so heres whats happenig, somwere in this bath the current is not getting through when the engine is hot. It could be a bad neutral saftey switch , could be a bad connetion that gets too high a resistance when hot. Either way the fix is easy

All you have to do is run a single peace of ~8 to 12 awg wire from the starter wire right under the dash from the ignition, through the fire wall, in the engine bay, and down to the starter. Now solder on a ring lug and piggy back it onto the startes seliniod terminal. Basicaly all this does is by pass the neutral saftey switsh as well as any faulty wireing from the ignition starter wire all the way to the starter seliniod.

I would start under the car, connect the wire to the starter, run inside a wire loom up the side of the engine and then once you get by the battery leave an extra 3 or 4 feet or so then cut the wire. Strip the cut end and to test your install hold it to the + batter terminal for a sec...the car should start to crank without any key int he ignition, but of cource it wont start. Now conitun to run the wire into the cabin trhoguh the fire wall and connect the stripped end inline with the facotry starter wire. You dont need to cut the factory wire but just strip some insulation off to rap the new wire around it. Be sure to tape it up very good....And there you go your done...never have to wory about shutting your car off again!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fuzzkill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Re: Perminant fix for catera wont crank when hot!!!!

Make sure not to accidentally leave it in drive or reverse

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Sounds like a good fix to me...

Otherwise if the Neutral Safety Switch is cheap try replacing that...

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

At Autozone you're looking at $100 for a replacement NPS Switch. In Canada, you're looking at $2-300 a switch. I've had it replaced, which actually led to my CPS going out. Go figure.

kbreudi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

YES VERY IMPORTANT!!

I forgot to mention, if you do this bypass make sure to NEVER try to start the car in any gear...i dont know why anyone would but hey you never know.

Also if you are woried about accidently starting it in gear you can always install a relay in like with the new wire that can be controlled by a switch...so when ever your car wont start, flip the switch (under dash, under hood, anywere really) and they there ya go instant bypass right to starter.

Also ad far as replaceing the newutral saftey swtich, it is about 10 times more expensive than this wire bypass, but if you have the money it is safer. Only problem is, there is a chance it is not the switch. It maybe a wire, connector or harness that leads to the switch or from the swotch to the starter. So replacing the switch MAY not be a sure way to fix the problem.

I encourage people to try this and leave feedback on this thread.

AwfulSmokey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Catera

hmmmm Neutral safety switch sounds about right. I know if i hit the brakes, I can hear the switch under the shifter move. Although, running the wire is pretty darn easy.

JJGREER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Crankshaft position sensor thats it change it and the problem goes away

tratar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 1998

I had my Neutral Safety Switch replaced a couple of weeks ago which I bought from Autozone for $105 to take care of a code error, and car rolling when popping out of gear when car was in park and occasional transmission going into limp mode. I too have the car won't start on hot days 80º degrees or above. So the new Safety Switch doesn't cure that problem. In the near future I will be adding your fix. After I replace the negative battery cable first. The cable is hot and has some resistance. I added an extra wire at the negative battery terminal to the bottom of car chassis to help ground. And I have replaced a new positive battery cable as well from GMdirect, which was a task for me but it's done and of course it did nothing. I like your idea, its starting to heat up around here I don't want be stuck in some parking lot waiting for the sun to go down. Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.