Another Misfire Story
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Another Misfire Story in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a '98 that had a coil issue last summer. I swapped the coil and the car ran perfect ...
    hulksteronline is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport, 1998 Catera

Another Misfire Story

I have a '98 that had a coil issue last summer. I swapped the coil and the car ran perfect for about two months then started to slowly misfire again when idling until it degraded and started to run quite rough. I didn't feel like redoing the coil again in the cold so I let the car sit for 6 months over the winter. (from Canada eh) I started it up today to look at it and the car ran perfect??? I took it for a drive and it started to act up about 5 miles later. It ran rough all the way home but didn't throw a CEL? Any ideas? I assume a bad coil wouldn't all the sudden start working again for a while? I will try again tomorrow to see how it is running and to determine if it will through a CEL. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

catera00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Re: Another Misfire Story

Mine (2000) was like that and the prob was the a coil pack AND one of the oxygen sensors. But if youre not getting a check engine light it would be an impossible guess which one might be bad.

TitanCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You could also check to see if one of your fuel injectors is cutting out when the car fully heats up. Check the wiring to the injectors for any loose connections or corrosion. Any small bit of corrosion with a small amount of heat will cause a high resistance in the circuit enough to affect the operation of a certain component especially a fuel injector.

JJGREER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

OK Pottna! Sweet n simple, you've got a bad valve cover gasket. Pull the plug wires and if you come up with oil on any one of them it's garunteed valve seal leak and it's shorting out you coil pack

1998BlackCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

I was not so lucky. I had a cyl. 6 misfire which I temporarily fixed with new wires and plugs. After a little while, it popped back up. Pulled out the plug and dried it with some ether, put it back in and would run fine for a little while. Turns out the plug is getting wet, the head gasket is leaking coolant into the cylinder. Not good.

JJGREER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

You have a bad valve cover gasket. No question about it. Before you put another coil pack on you need to change that gasket. Pull the plug wilres and you'll find oil on the boot (s). The oil is shorting out the coil pack

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.