Brake upgrade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Brake upgrade in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi folks, I'm getting ready to do the brake upgrades on my 98 catera, bought some 2004 GTO caliper sets ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Brake upgrade

Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to do the brake upgrades on my 98 catera, bought some 2004 GTO caliper sets from ebay. I also need to change the rotors and pads, what brand or type would you recommend?I also need to buy a couple of the screws that hold the rotor, where can I get them from?

Anything else that I need to know before I start this project? Also, does anyone have the torque specs for the bolts for the front and back brakes?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Brake upgrade

Forgot to mention, the GTO calipers I got from ebay are used. Do I need to replace any seals or anything else on them?

Thanks.

Black02SLPSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The screws for the rotor i would imagine you could pick those up at a salvage or a parts store. As far as torque specs for the calipers, to be honest i have never torqued my calipers to any particular spec, just get them good and tight. Like air ratchet tight or with a good sized socket wrench. As far as the calipers needing new seals, just give them a visual inspection, if the seals are damaged or whatever then it would be a good idea. If they dont appear to be damaged then i would say go ahead and use them as is.

Hope that helps,

-Jon

Thanks, any ideas on the pads? I heard, that I could use the C5 pads for the 04 GTO calipers but didn't know which year to get. For the retaining clips does it come with the pads or do I need to buy it separately?

Thanks

Also, how do I replace the emergency brake pads on a catera?

JRomano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera

Yeah C5 Vette pads work well, 97-04, just do a lookup for an 03 Vette, they usually come with clips, I just bought the Monroe Ceramics for mine and they came with the anti rattle clips.

okay, will get the 04 C5 pads and the clips

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

To remove Emergency Brake Shoes, jack car up and support on stands, because you're working on the rear end you may need to chock your front wheels do not engage E Brake. Remove tire and than remove rear caliper. Align your rotor so you can access both pins that hold the shoes to the back plate. remove the pins to disengaged Ebrake. Undo rotor bolt and remove rotor. The rotor may have a groove from the shoes, so attempt to pry out instead of smashing it out because you may need to replace more hardware that you're bargaining for. There is a plateand a spring on the bottom of the hub and the adjuster and spring above the hub. You can remove the spring with needle nose pliers. Remove shoes and replace. Springs may not go on with just regular pliers you may need the brake pliers. Again you may need to replace more than just the shoes, springs can get pretty rusty after time. Anyway, assembly is the reverse to dissassembly. ****Disclaimer**** I'm not responsible for injury or damage to you or vehicle that may occur during your DIY ventures. With that said have fun, and good luck.

Hi,

Got the calipers in today. I noticed a small crack on the rubber seal that is around the piston. Will that be a problem and can I get a seal to fix that? Or can I probably use the RTV sealant and seal it?

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Where can I buy the seals?

JRomano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera

The seal you can see is a rubber accordion dust boot, it does not hold pressure, they are very hard to replace if you've never done it before. If you must, then buy a new piston seal kit which should have two new piston ring seals and two new dust boots. I'm not sure where you would buy them but it would commonly be called a caliper repair kit.

Hi,

I found the part number for the seal, it's 92147147 and could cost about $50 per kit. I saw an online video on how to replace the boots and it looked pretty easy.

Thanks.

Ordered the performance slotted rotors (black) today from brakeperformance.com. It should be here by late next week or so. I'll post some pictures of the rotors after its gets in.

Another question?

When removing the brake hose from the caliper do I have to first drain the brake fluid out from the reservoir? Will the fluid leak out of the hose when I loosening it from the caliper?

Thanks.

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Fluid will drain from hose, yes. I'm not sure how others feel but I would not open or drain the reservior. Your opening the brake system, so there is no way to get out of bleeding the calipers. If you can I would suggest using a plug or line locks when removing the calipers. I haven't done the upgrade yet, so I have yet to tackle that situation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.