Brake upgrade - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Brake upgrade in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Having a big problem now. The left side caliper had a minor leak from the brake line so had to ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Brake upgrade

Having a big problem now. The left side caliper had a minor leak from the brake line so had to tighten in little bit but now the inner thread on the caliper is messed up. Now I cannot tighten up the line. What is the best solution, do I have to get a new caliper?

Thanks.

After looking at the calipers again they are the correct sides, right and left both the bleeder valves are on the top. Now the issue I'm having is that the left side caliper is messed up becoz I cannot tighten up the brake line to the caliper. I think the bolt on the catera is a little different causing the thread to strip...not sure. I may have to get another caliper for the left side now or is there a way I can get it fixed.

Thanks.

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Find the thread size of the bolt and order yourself a set of TimeSerts, eBay is the best place to find them. I think that would be your best shot. Make sure your insert isn't too long for the hole and you should be fine. the TimeSerts should seal it up just fine and the threads will be nice and strong!

I looked at my calipers and both my bleeders are on top, it was just that the "PBR" "made in australia" writing was upside down on one side. So most likely it's the same piece, just threaded differently when it was chosen to be a right or left caliper.

Thanks for the information regarding threading the caliper. Do you know what size to get because I'm not sure and will be using the catera bolt to tighten the line.

Wow! I just checked the prices for the timeserts at ebay and they are expensive, and they cost the same price as a remanufactured caliper.

you can get the inserts for $20, If you already have all the other tools like me that is,...

I'm not sure the size, but if you take a bolt into a hardware store like Menard's (sp?), they have sets where you can thread it into to find the bolt and thread size.

Another thought, have you tried to re-tap it? If the gto bolt is larger it would probably re-tap to it's size. I'd take the stock catera bolt into an autoparts store and see if it looks like it fits the gto caliper, did you other one thread fine?

the catera one threaded fine but was a little tight from the beginning so I think the thread might be different. The beginning part of thread is messed up so as I press and tight it would tight but will only happen without the line in, with the line in the bolt just spins around. I may have to use GTO bolts and need to figure out where I can get those. I haven't installed the other side yet becoz of this issue.

I also checked with Dennis (see my post "GM or Catera parts"). I'm not sure if you saw my post. This guy helped me at several occasions for parts and got it for me at reasonable price. He said he could get me new cailper for about $90. I may have to take this caliper to a hardware store or parts store and see if I can get this rethreaded.

Hmmm,... Sounds like the bolts are different, but the good news is it sounds like it should tap just fine. Take just the bolt into the autostore and ask them if they have any that fit the 04 gto front calipers. If they have them in compare the bolts. If they are indeed different then pick up a set of the gto bolts and run over to the hardware store. Find the size and thread of the bolt and then pick up a tap for that size and thread. Come home and thread your caliper (make sure to keep all the metal shavings out of it) and install with your gto bolts. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the additional information. I'll give a try this coming week and see what happens. Will keep you posted!

Thanks.

I have ordered another caliper and the banjo bolts since the one I have will not work even if I tap it because the whole is bigger. This happened after I used the catera banjo bolts.

In case some one needs to get some GTO front brake caliper banjo bolts here is the part number 92156688.

Thanks.

Update! The caliper and banjo bolts are back ordered until next week.....grrr! I checked the dealers for the banjo bolt and it cost about $11 for one and it takes more than a week to get it so I ordered it from Dennis and it's about $11 for two (original) but back ordered, takes about the same time as the dealer.

Hi,

Installed the front and back brakes with new rotors today on my 98 catera. The front has the GTO caliper and pads. Now, I have to bleed the system, do I have to start the car while doing this? And, while bleeding the system do I start from the rear and come to the front?

Here are the pictures.

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_2243.jpg

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_2249.jpg

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_2250.jpg

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_2257.jpg

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_2263.jpg

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_2402.jpg

http://s513.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_2405.jpg

Thanks.

You do not need to start the car to bleed the brakes. order should be RR, LR, FR, FL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.