Brake upgrade - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Brake upgrade in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My pads didn't even come with clips, so you may not even need them....
    AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Re: Brake upgrade

My pads didn't even come with clips, so you may not even need them.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I got the GTO pads from autozone and they fit perfectly, the corvette c5 has a different hardware for the ends and the center piece.

Does the bleeder valve have to stay on the bottom or top? Does it matter which way the bleeder sits? Please let me know about the bleeder valve. I did one side and will finish the rest tomorrow.

I'm also having trouble with the end plate on the brake hose. The one on the catera (right side) is welded to the body so could not get it out so I had to use a cable tie and secure the GTO one on top of the old one. I hope that will be fine. Also, in the middle of the hose does the rubber / plastic piece slide into the metal plate to be secured, this is by the shock area because I'm having trouble sliding that in.

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

More pictures of an installation here

http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/b...wap-t5.htm#713

I guess it doesn't matter which way the bleeder valve sits. Now I need figure out how to secure the brake hose to the metal hook by the shock.

Does anyone else know if the bleeder valve has to stay on the top or bottom? I saw the pictures from previous posts and could not tell if the bleeder valve was on the bottom or top.

TOP TOP TOP, the bleeder valve needs to be on the top! When you bleed your braked you're getting the air out of the system, bubbles float to the top, so you need it at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    I'm also having trouble with the end plate on the brake hose. The one on the catera (right side) is welded to the body so could not get it out so I had to use a cable tie and secure the GTO one on top of the old one. I hope that will be fine. Also, in the middle of the hose does the rubber / plastic piece slide into the metal plate to be secured, this is by the shock area because I'm having trouble sliding that in.
    I don't completely understand what you're asking here.

These are from when I was doing mine.

The hose I have is the orignal GTO ones and it has a metal plate that is on the end of the hose where it hooks up to the brake line that goes into the ABS (I think). I could not get that metal peice out and the one the catera is welded to the frame body. So I had to use a cable tie and secure the plate on top of the catera's brake hose plate and the hook up the ABS line to the brake hose. I may have to take a picture so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

I have installed the caliper and the new rotor on the left side and the bleeder valve is on the top but for the right side when I looked at the caliper it looks like the bleeder valve is going to be on the bottom. Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks.

Yes, i remember now. The calipers are the exact same so left is right side up and right is up side down. When you bleed them just pivot the caliper (like if you were changing brake pads) up with the upper mounting bolt loosened but still in. Are you talking about that plate in the back of my 2nd picture? I just snugged mine in there too, but i was able to get it tight by moving this here and that there, but a zip tie would have done the job.

I see that center plastic piece on yours is different than the one I have. Mine looks round and is a bit bigger in diameter so is hard to slide into the metal peice to secure it. I may have to try like how you did on the end of the hose (metal plate) and secure it properly.

I'm just wondering, are the fittings for the brake hose and the bleeder the same size and threading. Isn't it possible to switch the two?

Actually from what I can see of MV6's installation, his hoses are in the same position. So the threading is the same, so you should be able to switch sides.

Yeah, it will fit but the catera's brake hose is few inches shorter.

I'm not talking about the catera hose, I'm talking about switching the hose and the bleeder's positions, if its possible. From looking at MV6's install the hoses are at the bottom of the caliper on both sides and the bleeders are on the top. If its not possible to switch the bleeder and hose position, than you and Hazzard got two left side calipers!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.