Cabin Temp Actuators Problem?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Cabin Temp Actuators Problem? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, Both sides (driver & passenger side) of my temp actuators have not been working for a while now. ...
    frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Cabin Temp Actuators Problem?

Hey guys,

Both sides (driver & passenger side) of my temp actuators have not been working for a while now. Today I finally had some time to fully inspect them. The motors both work and spin nicely, but it seems that the problem lies with the motor's teeth not touching the gears of the actuator arm itself. I played around with the motor on the driver side and passenger side but it's still not gripping the actuator arm gears. The gears on both the motors and actuators are in good shape and not grinded down at all so the problem doesn't lie there.

I removed both motors and inspected them, the long metal shaft with the metal gears attached to it seem to wiggle when moved around... both sides do this! Now is this normal?? I'm thinking this could be the cause of the gears not gripping the actuator arm gears, but since both passenger side & driver side motors do the same thing, I'm really not sure if this is normal or not. Does anyone know? or have any suggestions on how I could fix this issue?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Cabin Temp Actuators Problem?

Guys, I figured out the problem and fixed my actuators on both drivers and passenger side. Apparently the shaft on the motors for both driver side and passenger side were sticking out too much for some odd reason! I tapped it lightly with a hammer and it went back in. The shaft was not even suppose to show on the motor, only the gears, but for some reason they were sticking out! Once the shaft was back inside, It worked perfectly! This was the reason why the gears were not moving, the teeth were not even in contact due to the shaft sticking out. Just posting this in case someone else gets this issue. Hope this helps!

caddlovers is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Could you tell me how to reach those motors? for every side? thankx

nlepisto1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

thanks for this post, lets hope it has fixed my problem. haha.. the shaft on mine was sticking out about 1/8" so i pushed it back in, this is the motor behind the dash, where is the other one? also what side is this to?

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

Quote Originally Posted by caddlovers View Post
    Could you tell me how to reach those motors? for every side? thankx
    x2

I've been looking at tackling this for awhile, didn't know where to start.

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Matera97 View Post
    x2

I've been looking at tackling this for awhile, didn't know where to start.
    I was going to suggest to our friend who started the thread what he actually did as I read to have the shafts pushed in. I cannot find the post but from re-collection I believe you don't need to remove much to actually push the shaft in. I will try to find unless frmg0014 explains earlier than that.

I kind of remember my mechanic kind of reach in under the glove box inside the car also once when he discovered later my Carbon Cabin Filter (located right hand side under the cowl) was blocked to get the air moving.

Regards.

Matera97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Catera (Ocean)

From what I can tell from this CompNine diagram, there is only one actuator in a 97-99 heater system which is on the passenger side of the blower motor. Are you guys using the right terminology, and maybe thats why I've never been able to find a driver and passenger side?

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...09&grouptype=B

USEDCAT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Matera97 View Post
    From what I can tell from this CompNine diagram, there is only one actuator in a 97-99 heater system which is on the passenger side of the blower motor. Are you guys using the right terminology, and maybe thats why I've never been able to find a driver and passenger side?

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...09&grouptype=B
    North America:

Right Side= Passenger side
    Left Side= Driver Side

Cheers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.