Catera Head gasket?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By retho78
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera Head gasket? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, If the head gasket is blown will it cause the coolant to leak or just oil? And how easy ...
    retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Catera Head gasket?

Hi,

If the head gasket is blown will it cause the coolant to leak or just oil? And how easy is it to replace head gaskets?

Any step by step instructions and illustrations?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Re: Catera Head gasket?

Yep, if your headgasket goes, coolant and oil will mix in the combustion chambers.

You should see white smoke out of the tail pipe, white spark plugs, and fouled oil and coolant..
    Most likely its the oil cooler on the engine.

My anitfreeze is leaking and haven't seen any white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. At first I had the oil and anti freeze leak so I replaced the oil cooler last week, drove it around for about 40 minutes and still having the anitfreeze leak. I'm going to do a pressure test and hopefully find out what the problem is.

Any step by step instructions and illustration to replace the head gasket, if in case I need to replace them.

Thanks.
    charliePark and charliePark like this.

When doing the coolant pressure test, do I fill it up with anitfreeze / water or something else to find out where the leak is coming from?

catera00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by retho78 View Post
    When doing the coolant pressure test, do I fill it up with anitfreeze / water or something else to find out where the leak is coming from?
    You can get dye and a black light from autoparts stores but you should be able to see it pissin out from the leaky spot when you pressurize it. What year is your catera. I think head gaskets were more of a problem for pre-facelift engines. Also when my 2000 had a bad head gasket, I had no external leak or oil mixing with coolant. Damn cateras. Such pains to diagnose sometimes.

I have a 98 catera and about 94K miles on it.

TitanCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

First off you need to be sure to find where most of your coolant is leaking, In your case you still think it's the oil cooler or the head gasket, correct? Sometimes a headgasket leak will not leak into a cylinder or mix with the oil, Some HG leaks will leak coolant externally only. When using the pressure tester be sure to pump the system up to a maximum of 30psi, anything lower than that if the leak is small enough will not leak out. 30 psi is maximum system pressure. Try not to dilute the coolant mix with water too much. Too much water will cause the block to scale and rust which will deposit inside your heater core and cause blockage preventing your heater from working properly, I've seen this issue so many times on Audi's when people think they can mix water into the coolant and find out their heater core and/or radiator is plugged. Also try to use all the same Dexcool coolant and not the mix with any antifreeze crap coolant. Prestone sells 50/50 premixed dexcool coolant which is good stuff. If you purchase straight coolant concentrate and it needs water added to it, be sure to use distilled water, ordinary tap water contains impurities which will cause the same issues as I stated above.

Robotdoogie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97, '98 Catera

Also check the heater control valve behind the right hand cylinder head. This can leak and look like a head gasket problem. The valve is $100 verses the cost to pull a head. Just an FYI.

waco-brian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 98 & 99

if you work on one of these cars you must have books

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotdoogie View Post
    Also check the heater control valve behind the right hand cylinder head. This can leak and look like a head gasket problem. The valve is $100 verses the cost to pull a head. Just an FYI.
    I had the same issue and the freakin' scumbag dealer told me that it was a head gasket for $1800. So my subbie tech friend checked it and replace the heater control valve. Works fine now, however I still have the other million little electrical problems. Just hoping the car catches on fire!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.